Kishu Ken Website - Follow Nami & Fionna!

edited April 2015 in Kishu Ken (紀州犬)
So I realized I never actually announced that I put together a website for the Kishu Ken, my involvement in the breed, and Nami & Fionna's adventures. I was going to wait until after I had Nami's genetic test back, but I don't see the harm of sharing it now.

I'm still not terribly confident with the content or the layout, but I tried to make it pretty easy to use, with an appropriate amount of information to start in the main links, and more information/reading under the "links" page and "news" page. This site is still climbing through the Google search pages. I'm not that smart when it comes to SEO stuff.

I'm always open to constructive criticism/critiques or other Kishu owner experiences. I'm still learning, after all.

http://www.kishu-ken.org/

Comments

• your link (Links Page) to the Trail Dog Forum misfires, because that forum is gone :(

Otherwise- a nice page! (but I'm like "Who the heck is Kaneko?") She'a always Fionna to me ;)
  • Oh no! I thought about that the other day, and never removed the link. I tried to get back into posting there before it went down, but I have a hard time keeping up with everything I'm already part of!

I'll remove that.

and-- lol! I know what you mean about Fionna/Kaneko. I labeled her page before I was sure I was calling her Fionna, so I thought I'd use her registered name... but I'll change that, too. I'm not using Nami's registered name on her link, so I may as well just use "Fionna", too.
  • Haha I thought that same exact thing.... Who is kaneko?!? I love that your site works nicely on a phone too :)

Are you planning on keeping Fionna? If not, you could consider an available page for dogs you're looking to home. Though maybe the thought of fionna going to a stranger is terrifying D:

Also, I was really curious why nami's litter turned out all white. Are the colored genes not dominant with kishu?
  • And the "Kishu Ken Owner's and Enthusiasts" page doesn't seem to work... I can't find it on a Facebook search either, so maybe it doesn't exist any more? Bummer...

Other than that, I really like the website! I've already done a fair amount of hanging around on it, haha. It's really well-organized and visually pleasing, in my opinion. I love clicking on a kennel's website and knowing what's going on.. Sometimes websites have a lot of info, but it's so hard to navigate! Your's is great, though.

@emi802, that is actually answered on the website! Under the "Yushoku Kishu" page. Colored genes are dominant, it was just a fluke I guess!
  • @emi802 - I thought about adding an available dogs page, but there haven't been enough Kishu Ken in need of adoption or rehoming yet, so I haven't. I'm not exactly planning on *keeping* Fionna, but I'm not in any hurry to have her leave, either. :)

The Kishu Ken Owners and Enthusiasts page is secret now, I see, so the link won't work. I'll remove that, too, when I update. :(

I was actually worried about how it would look on the phone. I tried to edit it so it would be easy to navigate on mobile, but every edit I made to make it mobile friendly made the standard page wonky in one way or another.

As far as color, like @LiaMarie said - Nami's litter was kind of a fluke! Nami carries white (Ee) and Taro is white (ee), so there was about a 50/50 shot each puppy that they would be white or yushoku. Same thing happened with the gender of the litter, too, though! A 50/50 shot each time, but I ended up with 4 boys and only 1 girl, lol!

http://www.kishu-ken.org/yushoku-kishu.html - all of the info on the color stuff; this is kind of a "for fun" page, but it does serve a purpose since there was some misinformation out there on color. I tried to be as accurate as possible, but I'm still not sure on the status of black & tan in Kishu Ken (and if NIPPO recognizes it for the Kishu Ken). Other than that, all the genetic information should be accurate. It's been though a few edits already, haha.
  • I actually love the Yushoku page, @Crispy. That's the kind of information I love reading. Maybe I'm just weird like that, though, haha.

I hadn't gone on the mobile version before, but I tried it just now and it looks good there too. I supposed it depends a little on the phone/OS, but from my iPhone it looks great!
  • Thanks for the explanation! That's quite the funny they all turned out white. :)

I read the opener on that page to figure out what yushoku meant, then quickly scrolled through the page for pictures :p. I'm with @LiaMarie on this one. I really like informative pages like that--especially because they're often hard to find with the rarer nihonken.

One other thing I like seeing is photos of the dam and sire on the litter pages to have an idea of what the pups might turn out like :). It's easy to find nami on the site from the dogs page, but I don't know if taro is anywhere.
  • @emi802 - I like that, too, when I look at a dog's page!

I haven't put up any pictures of Taro because they're all @shishiinu's - and he's Taro's owner. I've wanted to put up updated pictures of the litter, Nami, and Taro when the pups turn a year old... and one of Taro on Fionna's page when I complete it.

I actually wish I had pictures of Nami's sire and dam to do the same, but I'll put up transliterations of their pedigrees when I have them with links to any pictures of the family tree I can get. :)
  • Looking slick @Crispy! The only thing I have to add is that you should put the english name underneath the orange text if possible. That way there are no extra clicks needed to find out who you are or what it says :D
  • Also, I love your dogs and their puppies! I absolutely loved Shiro and wanted to steal him haha. If Hokka didn't already kind of fit that same size range and personality, then I'd be all about getting a Kishu next!
  • I noticed your website in your signature some time ago... before you moved out to Portland. Don't remember exactly when. I've been enjoying your updates there for a while. :) I've always liked the flow of it. It is easy to find information and isn't cluttered looking like some breeder websites I've seen. It's nice and neat and pretty.
  • I did some minor edits mentioned on the site. The logo and the links page, anyway. I did link to Fionna's page through her picture, even though I don't have all the information. People will probably like to look at what's there, anyway (SO many pictures).

Once I get copies of Nami and Fionna's pedigrees, I will have more stuff to put up... and again when Nami's MDDNA test comes back.