Kishu Road Trip

edited November 2015 in Kishu Ken (紀州犬)
So on Friday morning, I packed up the YJ and headed out on the road to Gardena, CA from Portland, OR after a change of plans regarding transportation.

The Kishu were fantastic for 95% of the trip. Kishu are normally a high-energy, high-drive breed and Nami and Fionna both owe a significant % of their pedigree to hunting dogs, so mine might be a little more obnoxious than show line Kishu - I'm not sure, I'm not an expert on that... but man, they LOVE road trips. Everything seems much more relaxing on the road - and we share a pretty close relationship and the girls were ALWAYS tired at the end of the day, which was really nice. It makes me half-consider becoming a nomad, lol.

Here's our SF stop where we picked up one of my best friends. image

We left SF on Saturday afternoon after staying the night in a rented apartment/lower level of a historic home which was very pretty... here's our dinner pitstop... after a much more disastrous one (which fortunately had a happy ending when I found my credit card lying on ground...)

We arrived in LA on Saturday night and visited with my friend's family, which was really fun and very nice. I was hosted that night by the very-patient @poetikdragon and got to meet one of her cute cats the next day... and the Kishu managed to only be rude to one of them. :(

Sunday, I left early to pick my friend back up and head out to the show! Here are some shots of the Kishu from the show. I'll create another thread for all of the show-images if someone doesn't get to it before me - but Nami won her breed against Fionna. She didn't place in the "big show", but it was a really fun experience and I'm very happy that my friend was there to help me!

We went to the after-party on Sunday night and got about an hour or an hour an a half on our journey north on Route 1 (Pacific Coastal Highway) before stopping for the night. We were supposed to go to class on Monday, but that never happened. We kind of knew before we started it wouldn't happen... but it was fun anyway... because...

Monday morning, we ran on a Santa Barbara beach, through the waves and the sand, chasing seaguls and little shore birds! Then the Kishu posed for a picture...

On the road on Monday...

We went weird places...

And we were rewarded with some off-leash adventures in the hills...

We stopped frequently when I saw fun things and wildlife... and posed for pictures on the Jeep again...

We saw pink clouds at sunset in Big Sur/Santa Lucia/Los Padres

I dropped my friend off that night and headed another hour north of San Francisco until I couldn't drive anymore. We stopped for the night and the next stop we made that morning was at Mount Shasta.

And we were greeted by the green mountains of Oregon soon after - driving straight though back up I-5.

I'm kind of surprised with how well the Kishu handled the trip. Sort of. They're pretty flexible dogs as long as their people are flexible, maybe. Not that TK isn't - and I missed him like crazy on the trip. There were so many stops we made that I wished I could share with TK and other friends!

Now I get to be broke for a couple months to get back what I put into this trip...

Comments

• Amazing photos. Wish I could have met up with you guys and see Nami again. Hopefully you guys can come down again soon when I'm off from work.
  • @shishiinu - After going once, I would love to make a trip back down and meet up with you and yours! :D I told Bryton that the next time I go, I need a week or two so I can camp. Los Padres National Forest/Santa Lucia was absolutely beautiful. I think the Kishu would like a short camping trip there and we can wander down the coast toward you next time. ;)