Any litters for 2016?

edited February 2016 in Breeding
Hi guys! I'm looking to get another puppy in 2016 and was wondering if any of you were or knew of anyone planning for puppies? I live in New England, so that's where I'm looking around. I'd be happy with any of the breeds as well, other than another Shiba or an Akita- insurance won't allow. Thanks and let me know!

Comments

• I think any breeder worth their salt will expect a puppy buyer to be well informed about their breed, and love that breed- they want to place their puppies with the best home possible. I don't think you will get much response with "any of the other breeds will do." They are really different in many ways, and it'd be good to think about what personality goes with what you are looking for.
  • They're all very similar and I would make a good owner for any of them and any of them would make me happy.
  • They're really not.
  • You might want to do some research on each of the breeds, read through the various threads on this forum to learn about others experiences keeping them, and try to determine which one would be the best fit. While they may have some similarities, they also have just as many differences. A responsible breeder would want to make sure that a puppy buyer has done their research and wants to make sure that the breed is the right fit.
  • I asked for answers about litters, not advice on breeds.
  • We're trying to clue you in to why breeders won't be responding in here and say "Hey, I;ve got a litter of breed X if you like!"
  • I know a lot about all of the breeds, I've read everything that I could and everything on this site. I know breeders would have questions and contracts for me, and I'm 100% they'd be happy with me. I've trained, worked with, groomed, volunteered with dogs my whole life. I've worked with many spitz breeds, and have a year old Shiba now. I live in the woods on an acre of land and exercise enough for an athletic dog. I know how spitz work/think. I don't think I need to prove myself though. Not trying to be rude, I just think I worded myself wrong.
  • I thought you weren't allowed to keep Shibas due to insurance reason? Regardless, given that you already have a Shiba, I'd avoid getting a Shikoku.

Also, the average wait time for the medium sized NK is at least 2 years. So in all fairness, there isn't any available pups this year for anyone who isn't already on a wait list. If you really want to get a medium sized NK, then your best bet is to find and contact a responsible breeder and try to get on their wait list.
  • Akitas are what I can't have. And I already have a Shiba, and I don't like having the same breed twice. Too many great breeds to experience.
  • The breeds really are not the same. I've owned a shiba, a shikoku, and a kai, and I've met hokkaido and kishu. I love all of these breeds, but they're quite different from each other. You can't just say you've read all about them and you know they're all basically the same. Breeders will definitely take that as a sign that you don't actually know enough about them to own one.

They're more like each other than they are like, say, a golden retriever, but there are key differences you really should be aware of. A lot of people own shibas first, then get another NK thinking they're basically the same, and end up being quite surprised. This is what happened to me. Owning a Shikoku was a lot more challenging than I expected, even though I'd already owned a shiba (and a chow mix before that) and had read all about dogs and knew all about spitz breeds.

I'm not trying to be rude, either, but you need a different approach if you're ever going to get a puppy. Everyone who has posted has gone through the process and gotten a puppy at least once, and is friends with some of the breeders you may want a puppy from. Take our word for it, the breeds are not interchangeable and your approach will not get you a puppy.
  • Considering that the NK breeds are rare enough as it is, you're not going to find one from a reputable breeder any time soon. I've known people that have waited 3-4 years just for a breeder to choose FOR them. Your Shiba is still really young at a year and considering that they could get more dog intolerant as they get older, wouldn't you consider waiting until he is fully matured and know that he would accept another NK in the house? You still have quite a lot of ground to cover in terms of training and socialization so why not focus on that first before considering another dog.
  • Again, I'm not asking for advice here. Never mind and goodbye.
  • Well, the short answer to your question is, yes, we all know of lots of upcoming litters. That information isn't relevant, though, since you're not getting any of them.

But, good bye I guess.
  • Haha thanks for the rude comment after I already ended the conversation. You seem like a sweet person. If you actually knew me, you would know I'd be an amazing owner.
  • Maybe you would be an amazing owner, I don't know (I didn't actually say otherwise), but none of those litters is available to you. It's not rude, it's the truth. You said you wanted an answer to your question, not advice. Well, that's the answer to your question, sans advice. There are upcoming litters, but they aren't available to you. I'm sorry to hear that you interpreted it as an insult.

We also have a lot of people reading through old posts to find information, so while you may not return, this thread will probably be read in the future by someone with the same question. That's one of the reasons we post. You're not required to read or respond to the posts.

Have a nice day.
  • Hey!

Every single person on this thread has given you very valuable advice. Most people in the NK community do know of litters planned for this year or litters on the ground, but without taking the time to reach out to individual breeders via their email or contact forms (showing that you've done enough research, at least, to identify their contact information and see who/what they breed), not many people are going to give you those details.

The 4 medium-sized Japanese breeds really are not SO similar where you can just plug any one into your situation. As said above, if you have a Shiba, I think it's practical to avoid Shikoku - while there are some successful Shiba/Shikoku homes, there are also a lot of stories of how their behavior is not compatible.

The only person I see being consistently terse or rude is the OP.

There are also no breeders of the medium-sized breeds in New England, that I am aware, so any puppies born will likely be out of the range you are looking in. I was the only breeder in New England (that I know of) and I moved across the country a year ago. :(
  • See, that's really all I wanted here. Actual information on breeders. Thank you. Now I can proceed on looking for importing a puppy in. I want either a Hokkaido or a Kai.. probably a Kai. And I haven't been rude at all. But everyone saying the same thing over and over again is annoying and what they were saying wasn't even answering the question I asked.
  • I think your original question was a bit vague.

Instead of asking if any breeders have litter availible maybe better to ask where to find said breeders. There have been past threads asking for kai ken breeder and locations of said breeders.

Hokkaido is still relatively in starting phase..

Most likely any breeder you'd deal with in the usa will be a bit away..

I think if Hokkaido and kai ken was your breed you are interested in having should just said that. Both have wait list and your best bet is contacting the breeders themselves.
  • i was asking more along the lines of hobby breeders. I figured, and was right considering people said they did know of breeders or litters, you guys could name someone for me. But like I said, I'm now looking into importing a puppy in.
  • edited February 2016
    @TheWalrus handles importing. His site is Japan Dog Export. Importing a dog from Japan is much more expensive than having a dog flown to you from somewhere else in the country.

I would also throw out there for anyone considering importation, it would be really helpful to the breed if you worked with their associated breed club and considered keeping the dog intact, at least long enough for one litter. It could potentially help the gene pool of North American dogs a lot.

My suggestion would be learning more about the breeds, meeting some dogs, deciding which one you want, and working with the breed club and North American breeders to help out with preservation.
  • I would keep her unaltered, but with no other breeders in New England, there'd be no one to breed her to
  • edited February 2016
    The NK population in North America is spread all over the place, so people do have to either travel or ship their dogs (or sperm sample) to each other for breeding. If pairings were limited to dogs that were close geographically, there wouldn't be much of a breeding program. It's usually easiest if the cooperative pet owner has a stud, so they can go take a breeding vacation at the breeder's where the female is, or a sperm sample can be mailed (although I believe AI isn't allowed in the KKA, which is the primary Kai registry).

It's definitely extra work, but cooperative homes are appreciated.
  • My Shiba is an unaltered male, but I believe there's plenty of good breeders for that breed. My next dog will be a girl and I've never bred before, I wouldn't know a thing to do. And I wouldn't want to co-own a pet.
  • Begin you consider getting an intact bitch, you should plan to neuter your male Shiba, is my advice.
  • I'm more just putting that out there for anyone who might read it and is considering importing. It doesn't seem like a good fit for your situation (but I can't ultimately be the judge of that).
  • Before importing, try contacting established breeders of that breed and build a relationship with them. Get to know what lines they have, what lines worth importing, and just get general advice on the importing process. Building these relationships will benefit the breed and could help you build upon your own breeding program.
  • Well I was planning on getting the female spayed when old enough. But if breeding is that important, I guess I could consider it. Which breed is more rare in the states and could use the female for breeding most? I think I'd be happy with a Hokkaido or a Kai.
  • There is a thread with list of kai ken breeders in usa. I'd contact them to decide which breeders you like and contact them for info.
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8148/kai-ken-breeders-in-the-us/p1

For hokkaido there is this site, but right now only one litter has happened and coarse all the pups are in their homes, but can get on waiting list.
    http://www.hokkaidoken.com/

I don't know a ton of hokkaido breeders so can't help much on that only other one I know of is ITADAKI kennel. I think there is another european breeder who is on the forum, but not too active. I forgot their kennel name.

Coarse can import from Japan too. It will take awhile anyways if you go via local breeders or import abroad.

http://www.hokkaido-ken.eu/
  • Okay. Getting a Kai just seems easier.
  • Hey there! I’m just a lurker myself, but wanted to chime in on why people have been responding to your thread the way they have.

My first thought when reading through this thread was that there’s no reason for you to be snarky just because you aren’t hearing what you want to hear from some of the other members of this forum.

No one was insinuating that you wouldn’t be a good owner to one of the Nihon Ken. There’s not enough information presented to give a clear insight into that regard so no one can make that judgment… nor have they. There’s absolutely no reason why you should go on the defensive about this. Everyone is simply trying to explain why your nonchalance about your possible new addition is not only unwelcome amongst most every breed enthusiast and breeder, but also why is it unacceptable period.

From your original post you presented yourself in such a flippant manner that it really isn’t a wonder why people with more experience in these breeds were quick to question you and your motives for wanting one. If you’re going to be “happy with any of them”, then why is it the Nihon Ken specifically? Why not just go to the local shelter and pick a random mix? Why not buy from that hobby breeder down the road with the working farm dogs? Why not get a happy-go-lucky retriever pup?

All breeds are different. If the Nihon Ken were all the same then they wouldn’t be considered different breeds with different historical backgrounds. They’re all held to different standards and their breeders have varying expectations for each of them. You just simply can’t point at the first one you come across and expect it to be a good fit for you and your lifestyle.

Overall the fact that you think all of the Nihon Ken breeds are the same is reason enough for people to question you on your willingness to share your life with one. For example, if all of them are the same to you, what is your drawing line for wanting a Hokkaido versus a Kai Ken? The two are virtually polar opposites on the native breed spectrum from what I’ve come to understand. My only guess is their appearances are what have drawn you to them when compared to the other breeds, and I can say for a fact that appearance is never what should be prioritized when choosing a dog breed. Nor should you choose one over the other simply because, “It just seems easier to get.”

Instead of asking about breeders and puppies you should instead really take the time to inspect your life before rushing to add a puppy, any puppy. Picking a breed isn’t about what you want, but what you need. The reason so many dogs are in shelters is because people buy the first puppy they see, without giving any thought as to what the breed actually needs from their prospective owner. Breeders of these dogs especially will be incredibly picky, and aren’t going to just throw a puppy to someone who comes along wanting one right that second. They’re going to want to know that you’ve done your homework, and that you’re 100% prepared for that specific breed.

Literally everyone else had to do their research and make the effort to find the right breed for them and in turn had to prove themselves worthy to a breeder that usually has long waitlists. Your best bet is to listen to the other members on this forum. They aren’t here to be rude just because. They have actual experience to back up their words, so you should really respect their thoughts and take them to heart.

Sure. You might just be an amazing owner for one of the Nihon Ken. I can’t say. I will say however, that if you have to boast about it as an excuse for why you can just interchange the breeds for whichever is available to you first and insist that breeders would be happy with you as a buyer for one of their pups without even having spoken to any of them… then I don’t think you’re anywhere near ready to get a puppy of any of the breeds at this point in time.

But hey. I can't say for a fact. That's just the viewpoint I've garnered from your original post and your following responses.
This discussion has been closed.