Tora Brag

Tora was in her first official UKC show today. She won her breed both times today. but unfortunately she did not place in the group. Both judges admitted to me it had been years since they had judged a Kai and could not remember alot about them. Tora had a blast though and really enjoyed all the attention she was getting from everyone. I think the only time her tail stopped wagging was when she was asleep in her cage. On a plus note Kuma, my male Shiba, took breed and placed 3rd in the group both times today. Hope to have some pics tomorrow once we download them off the camera.

Comments

• edited November -1
    How exciting. How large are the entries for your UKC shows (breed and total)?
  • edited November -1
    Awesome, congrats!

Can't wait for photos :) ~
  • edited November -1
    Yayayayay for Tora!!!! Are you showing her again in a couple of weeks?

Koda and I send our love! Give her lots of licks *umm kisses* from Koda.
  • edited November -1
    Tora is showing again in 2 weeks at the UKC show in Cincy.

The total I heard for the show was 130 dogs. They did not post an official breakdown. Most of the UKC shows in Ohio range from 100 - 140 entries and it is usually the more popular breeds. The Cincy shows tends to be on the larger size and draws a few of the more rare breeds. The biggest shows are usually in Michigan and draw a large variety of dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Congrats!

I recommend that you always bring along copies of the Kai breed standard for the judges. The show secretary may not have them all on file and they will appreciate it since they don't get to see Kai very often. I got into that habit when I was showing the Laika Trio in UKC events. You can also hand out copies to other exibitors or spectators that want to know more about the breed. I would typically print some useful website links at the bottom too.

Some judges stick with what they know, and others are willing to give the rare breeds a second look.
    Guska walked away with a Reserve BIS (from Fred Lanting, a GSD guru!) and Triepak even landed a BIS from Nina Sherrer!
  • edited November -1
    Is it possible for Marsha and Pam to let the judges know ahead of time since they are probably familiar with the group in Cincinnati?

I'm so excited for Tora! She's such a beauty.
  • edited November -1
    Pam's dog club always has the standards on hand. I know several of the judges there have judged Kai before. My main focus for her first official show was for her to have a good time. I wanted nothing but a positive experience for her. In the breed ring she did not understand when the judge was bending over to examine her they were not trying to play. She just wanted to climb in their laps and give them kisses.

I do need to print out some copies of the breed standard and general breed to carry with me though. I have so many people stop us and ask questions when they see Tora.
  • edited November -1
    Here are some pics. My photographer (boyfriend) was slacking and did not get as many as I was hoping for. A friend is handling Tora for me in the group ring as I am handling my Shiba.
  • edited November -1
    That's it. Koda needs a diet! Tora is so thin and tiny compared to my 50 pd. maniac. She is very pretty.
  • edited November -1
    thank you. her love and devotion cannot be matched by any of my shibas
  • edited November -1
    Congrats to you and Tora (and Kuma)!
  • edited November -1
    Tora won breed and group 4 twice today. She showed really well and had alot of fun today. She received alot of nice comments from the judges as well. Kuma took reserve champion twice today to another nice male shiba. The other male even won a best in show! We do it all again tomorrow.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    It's so interesting to see a side by side size comparision between your Shiba and Kai. People should take more of these (size comparisions between breeds) for educational use like for Pet Expos. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Wooo woooo!!! Go Tora and Kuma! This actually chokes me up a little. I'm so proud of my baby's sister! I hope one day I can make it out to a show.
  • edited November -1
    Same results today. Tora showed really well and had the time of her life. It is hard to get judges to place her higher though as she is still a pup, and so many are not sure about the breed to begin with. Kuma was reserve again today to the same male shiba as yesterday. The male shiba picked up his second best in show this weekend. Nice to see the shiba's winning in the group rings for a change.
  • edited November -1
    I'm glad you all had an enjoyable experience.

Did you happen to con anyone into taking a few photos? -grins-
  • edited November -1
    no, the building was kinda dark so we could not get a good pic.