Nippo Classic 2010

Phil posted this over on the Shiba Forum, and I thought I'd cross-post for anyone that visits here more frequently.

This year's Shiba Classic is the Nippo Classic! Normally only open to Shibas, this time it's open to Akita, Shikoku, Kai, Kishu and Hokkaido as well. There will be a Japanese judge, and seminars in addition to the judging.

Nippo Classic 2010

I'm sure it will be mostly Shibas, but it would be cool to see some of the other breeds there as well.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I wish I lived closer.

Stacy are you taking the Shibas to this?
  • edited November -1
    I took my shibas to it last year, and will take them again this year. Really excited as they were talking about opening it up to all Japanese breeds last year. Seems like they got it worked out with Nippo so Tora will be going as well.
  • edited November -1
    Yup this rocks!! They contacted people looking for JA for the show. From the email they are looking for Akiho standard, or JKC style JA's. I can't wait to see photos.
  • edited November -1
    Aww man this makes me want to live closer. I would love to meet Tora, and see her shine at the show. Koda would growl at the judge. lol...He's a teenage boy right now. We're working on it.
  • edited March 2010
    In May, huh? And deadline for entries are April 23rd. Hmm...

I'd love to enter...but Kotomi's ears haven't healed up from the fly re-bites yet and her coat looks like crap =/. Stupid Southern California weather!!! This would have been an excellent excuse to go visit Peggy and her dogs =).

...it is very tempting still. I might start a new job in May though...not sure if I can sneak away long enough. Would be great to enter Shoushuu and Kotomi if I can get her coat to look nice and the hair on her ear tips to grow back.
  • edited November -1
    For the Shiba people in Europe: be sure not to miss the Shiba Nippo Show in May 2010, Italy.
  • edited November -1
    Tara, sounds like you and Koda need to make a road trip.
  • edited November -1
    This sounds fun do they do this every year?
  • edited November -1
    yes. They alternate where they hold it. Last year it was right outside of DC. The year before I believe it was in Tenn. Last year was my first year for it. The judge was the head Nippo judge. He gave us so much valuable information. It draws Shibas from all over the country and hopefully it will draw the other breeds this year as well.
  • edited April 2010
    This looks fun! I 'm pretty sure we're going . I just filled out the entry form for Koshi. I'm a little nervous, having never shown before, now I have to train her to stand...not sit haha. Is anyone else planning to come?
  • edited November -1
    I will be there with Tora. It is alot of fun and very low pressure. There is really not much to it. You walk into the ring and just stand there. They want to dog to stand natural and the judge walks around the dog. They only briefly touch the dogs to check their teeth and to feel their coat.
  • edited November -1
    That's great Stacey!! I'll be sure to look for you!! Can't wait to meet you in person!
  • aykayk
    edited April 2010
    They don't wicket or check to see if males are fully descended? They don't move the dogs in a triangle?
  • edited November -1
    I'm so jealous sometimes about being in Callifornia. It's like I miss out on everything. Maybe next year......

Koda and I are rooting for you!
  • edited November -1
    I think Corina may come , you could sneek on with her!!
  • edited November -1
    This is too far of a roadtrip for me LOL

Pics, I want pics!!!

& Tara --- I feel the same way. NOTHING is in or near Florida :( ~
  • edited November -1
    "NOTHING is in or near Florida :( ~"

That's objectively false. You've got Disney World. :-P
  • edited November -1
    The judge will check to see that the male is fully descended. He just does it so quick the dog never realizes what happened. They move the dogs a little, but nothing like in AKC. The judge may or may not wicket. Usually they only do it if they feel the dog is too close to the standard one way or the other. It is really so laid back that if the dog acts up, the judge does not count it against them. In the eyes of the judge that is showing spirit.
  • edited April 2010
    Ok Dave, I'll rephrase. NOTHING good is in or near Florida :(

Disney sucks. :p ~
  • aykayk
    edited April 2010
    So it's a bit different than Beikoku's NIPPO show in soCal. Here they wicket every dog on a solid surface, count teeth, check bite, check for the testicles, and then have the dogs move in a triangle. The triangle is marked on the ground with rope. Dogs can show spirit, but I've seen a dog that was too wild, ie. about to turn on his handler, excused from the ring.

For some years, dogs that sat down within the ring were penalized. Hand-stacking the dog instead of letting the dog present himself was a no-no. One year, the judge was wiping dogs with a white paper towel to check for dyes. (There was an issue in Japan with dyed Shibas.)

I just wanted to mention this as the Classic website said "NIPPO standards & ring procedures apply" and don't want anybody surprised.

edit: here's the Shiba Classic's link about NIPPO ring procedures.
    http://www.shibaclassic.com/Ringproc.pdf
  • edited November -1
    In past years there were judges that checked dogs for grooming products, but everyone that comes to the Shiba classic (now Nipo classic) know not to use any grooming products.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    I've seen pretty blatant chalking done by one person one year. Loose powder + chalk stick applied to urajiro areas. Done under a tent within short walking distance to the ring. Fortunately, the dog didn't place. I don't know if that person didn't know that such products are not allowed, but I took a picture of it just in case it was needed.
  • edited November -1
    I'm making an *attempt* to be there!

Not too realistic (for me money-wise) to fly out with both Shiku, maybe just Shoushuu...

...but I don't know...
  • edited November -1
    -sighs- Atlas...unless some kind of a miracle will happen, I won't be able to make it to the show this year!

Maybe next year...

...to those who will be going, have fun and take LOTS of photos.
  • edited November -1
    Were you going to fly into Toledo?
  • edited November -1
    bummer, was hoping to see you there.
  • edited November -1
    I live in Toledo but work in maumee I have another event going on that weekend but will definetely try to go out on friday and I will make sure to bring a camera and try to post pictures on here if I can figure out how.
  • edited November -1
    I'll probably won't be able to go due to money my parent's AC/heater blew out so we got to get a new one and I'm helping them out since money has been tight for them.

Next year I'd love to go and see what this all about sadly Saya is spayed so she couldn't be showed, but I'd still like to see the judging and stuff.

Do they allow people to bring their shiba inu even though they're not showing? I'd love to bring Saya just to hang with me while we watch the judging and stuff..
  • edited November -1
    Nicole,
    Yes , You can bring Saya, I plan on bringing my two shibas & I am not showing them. I did check into that. I don't know the details but there is a class that you can enter and show dogs that have been spayed & neutered. Possibly Stacey could give you a little more details on that.
  • edited November -1
    You can have the judge evaluate the dog without it actually being in the show. It is the evaluation only class.