Maymay update with pics 3/15

Comments

• edited November -1
    Tomorrow is the day! :)

I hope the introduction and integration goes smoothly for both of the dogs. I am sure you will manage them well and that they will become the best of friends!
  • edited November -1
    Remember Tara, you're likely to be more nervous/excited about the whole thing than Koda is. So keep yourself calm and Koda will follow your lead. And a good LONG walk is your best friend!

Make sure somebody is taking lots of pictures! :-)
  • edited November -1
    Tomorrow's the big day! I cant wait to see spam of Koda and his new bff!
    **Positive Vibes to the west**
  • edited November -1
    Good luck Tara! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • edited November -1
    My neighbor got a Malinois puppy yesterday. Oh man is he cute! An 8 week old bundle of joy and terror! lololol.

Koda did great with him in the house. First, he kind've was a little iffy about the puppy wanting me to hold him and snuggle up in between my legs. He walked over and gently nudged him away from me, but after 5 minutes Koda realized the puppy was a lot of fun and they played for two hours. Then Koda let him pick up one of his bully sticks and they cuddled up on the floor together. Koda just watched him tear at the bully stick until they both fell asleep. It was so adorable. I have a couple pics, I'll post them later.

It helped to alleviate some of my worry, and Dave I am planning on taking them out together as much as possible the next three days. I just have to make sure all of May May's clearances are ok. She is hopefully going to the vet tomorrow for a checkup. We will see how that goes. If she's anything like Koda maybe not so well. lol.
  • edited November -1
    Introducing an older NK can be difficult. I just introduced a new 3 year old intact female to our dogs. I was amazed again at how polite Haru is. She's not stand offish, but not pushy either. The 3 year old has a habit of growling at every pup she got close to, but once introductions were over she's been doing well. She does great with Haru, but amazingly enough her and Baron are a bit iffy. Another wrench into the 'male/female will work better' scenario. Of course she's just arrived so we'll see how things pan out.

Good luck with the new dog! I'm sure you've already figured out how you're going to do the introductions, so fingers crossed for you. Just don't worry too much if it doesn't go well right off the bat.
  • edited November -1
    Hey Shigeru you have a little pack going on there huh? lol

I'm not convinced that May May is 1 years old yet. For exporting reasons, health certificates, no quarantine, etc. it's better to say she is 1. But that would only be a couple months older than Koda. I will need to see what my vet says to verify.
  • edited November -1
    Today is the big day, Tara! :)

Hope it all goes well, and we can not WAIT to see pictures!
  • edited November -1
    Good luck Tara!!!
    Just stay calm & positive act as though it's no like it's no big deal :)
  • edited November -1
    Good luck, Tara! Can;t wait to hear your stories about May May and Koda Koda. :)
  • edited March 2010
    Koda and I picked up MayMay today! She is sooooo adorable. We picked her up at Red's House, No. Ca. Shiba Inu Rescue. The Shibas weren't too crazy about the Kai outside their house. lol.

MayMay was out back in a kennel and the second Red let her out, she came running up to me, jumped up and put her nose two inches from my face. She looked straight at me for about a minute. Her eyes were locked to mine, and I guess she thinks I'm pretty ok cause she started loving and kissing me right away. She's so outgoing and confident this one! We brought Koda to the backyard, and he liked her but was too busy tracking down a bird's nest in the back tree. It's crazy his sense of smell. She was really cute and trying to get his attention and play with him. Koda was playing it cool though. I mean you can't let the ladies know how much you like them right off the bat. he he.

Red and I took a look at her health certificate and it seems as if the story we originally heard was not entirely true. She had been with the family for over a year. They had her spayed a year ago. She has obviously been tied up outside the whole time. She has scabs around her neck from being tied up. The worst one that is missing fur is 1"x2". It looked really really gross, scabby, and dirty when I got her. Her fur is in terrible condition. It's dry, brittle, breaking and uneven. Her coat really looks bad when she stands next to Koda. She also smelled up my car within five minutes of being in there. Phew! But with all this her toenails were perfectly clipped and her ears had been cleaned go figure!

She had an appointment with the vet. Her teeth are pretty dirty and need to be cleaned. She got a bath and had her scab all cleaned up and medicine put on it so she can heal up. She has a couple scars, not big at all but she has been cut up a little. I do know that the woman's neighbors through rocks at her while she was tied up because she howls. They supposedly brought her to a daycare that ended up physically abusing her as well. My vet confirmed that her hair missing, scabs, scars all looked like clear neglect. The saddest thing is she is the most lovable happy girl I have ever met! She will flop her whole body on you looking for love. She is constantly kissing you, rubbing up against you, and has a perfect no questions asked 100% recall. I'm assuming it's because she is just so excited that someone wants to pay attention to her. She gets really excited.

MayMay is not potty trained at all. She can't hold her blatter and shows no signs of having to go. She just goes! She doesn't know any commands that I can see. No hand gestures at least. She jumps up on everything and everyone. She can't walk on a leash to save her life. She walks on her two hind legs all the time on leash. The little girl needs a lot of work, but she is smart and already today started to come around with some basic manners. You can really tell that no one ever tried to train her, just tied her up. It took me two hours to get her to be ok with taking a treat from my hand for good behavior. We are crate training her, and she does seem to be comfortable in there. I'm sure that a crate with a bed in it is much better than sleeping on cement. Hopefully she can learn to control her blatter soon. I cleaned up after her 3 times today, and this was after her peeing outside every half an hour. She doesn't even know she's going. Maybe it's nerves, and she will get better.

Oh, and MayMay is short for Maniac. She's crazy! There is just no stopping her. She likes to play games, tried stealing Koda's bone and hiding it, and even went so far as to try and take it out of his mouth to run off with it. That didn't go so well for her. lol. It took them a while to get used to eachother but they ended the night with chasing and running around for two hours straight. Oh my. They did great together though, and Koda loves his female counterpart.

Ofcourse I forgot my camera. I was just too excited, but I took one of me and her with my phone and a short vid of the kids playing. Here you go.

Oh, and any suggestions on supplements for her fur and potty training an adult dog who has always lived outside are greatly appreciated. ;-)

maymay

Koda's the one on the ground.

• edited March 2010
    Sounds like MayMay and Koda are doing great together, congrats!

The Kishu I just adopted has got some health issues as well. Seems she's a bit malnourished. Can't help you with the peeing, my Kishu just waits till I take her out even though she's been outside chained up her whole life. As for the fur, MayMay should heal naturally with the proper diet I'm sure she'll be getting from you. Will probably take at least 6 months depending on how bad it is. That being said in rescue I have seen a couple dogs with bad neck scarring and the fur never really grew back.

I'd say to keep an eye on the peeing though. Looks like my Kishu has a UTI, vet thinks she probably didn't have access to enough water though it might just be genetic. She does pee quite frequently, but at least holds it till we're outside.
  • edited March 2010
    She's beautiful! Very cute vid of her and Koda playing! Looks like Koda and MayMay are already becoming friends :) I can't wait to meet her next time you make it to Reno.
  • edited November -1
    Shigeru, I'm almost thinking that it's the neglect that has kind've traumatized her. One time when she had an accident was when I went to get the crate out of the car. I can't take her with me because she CAN NOT walk on leash. She was watching me walk out the door when she just stood there and pee'd on herself without even knowing. She was really upset that I was walking away from her and was crying before she pee'd. She HAS to have love and attention from a human at all times. I am keeping an eye out for any UTI's though.

Wait, you have another Kai, 2 Kai pups, another Kishu?

Tara we will be coming up to Reno to steal a peak at your pups! You can count on that!
  • edited November -1
    Loved the video!

and it made me so sad to hear about the shape she's in, with the scabs and everything...such neglect!

Which makes it even better that you've given her a new, loving home....It's really wonderful of you to take her.

Yes, with a better diet her coat should improve. I swear by fish oil, either capsules or just the oil itself. It really helps.

I wonder how traumatic the flight is for them? I know a lot of dogs get imported a long way, but it's probably a bit rough for a girl who was already so neglected....

But now she's home.... :)
  • edited November -1
    House breaking adult rescues really is the same as a puppy. The only differences is they physically can hold it longer, but may not emotionally (as you have gotten to experience already). As she gets more secure that you are coming back each time you leave she will have an easier time. Ruby has a little abandonment issue stuff too. And is only just now able to not pee every time I walk out the door. Though sometimes she will poop (LOL). If I am home with her, she can hold it for 12 hours if she wants too (like if it's raining).

Help with the coat, might I suggest Solid Gold Sea Meal and some fish oil. Rubys coat got soft and shiny fairly quickly with that help.

Congratulations on the great start.
  • edited November -1
    If she doesnt seem to know she is peeing, I wonder if she is just incontinent- has no sphincter muscle tone? This can be the case after spaying and is corrected with a drug called Proin, though I thought it was just when they are relaxed that they leak, but what if her tone is SO bad that she leaks all the time...I wonder if it is something structural like ectopic ureter (ultrasounds will tell). I can sortof imagine if her urine leaking is that bad, and the family doesnt vet her but just 'solves' the problem by keeping her outside all the time...that story writes itself.

I know you would not punish her for urinating, but where she has no idea she is urinating I question if it is a training problem at all. Reilly is a leaky dog ( which is how I know any f this) and if laying down and stressed out has in the past leaked a dinner plate sized puddle- and she had NO idea. She is dry with her medicine and takes it happily. Just saying to bear in mind as you emotionally invest yourself in lots of training till youve 'tried everything' that she maybe can;t help it at all and could require a closer look by the vet at that problem earlier rather than waiting till you've gone through lots of work and frustrated both of you. rule out medical first rather than rule out training problems. If she doesnt know she is peeing she can't understand you want her to do somethign when she feels urgent.

May May Maniac is very lucky! I am glad Koda enjoys her! What a wonderful thing to take this girl in and put her on the road to the good llife. MayMay had no idea how lucky she'd be to suddenly become Koda and Tara's Dog!
  • edited November -1
    So glad to hear that May May is with you and adjusting to her new life already. The play video is wonderful.

Other forum members have already come up with some good suggestions. If she has skin problems, I would also check for internal parasites. I think you may want to compile a list of issues, talk to your vet, and lay out a "game plan" for her health for the next few months. I've had luck with Avoderm dog food for dog skin problems. ( I know it's not the highest rated dog food, but dogs w/ skin problems seem to do well on it.)
  • MnVMnV
    edited November -1
    Congrats to a new addition to the family.
  • edited November -1
    Glad to hear introductions went well.
  • edited November -1
    "If she doesnt seem to know she is peeing, I wonder if she is just incontinent- has no sphincter muscle tone? This can be the case after spaying and is corrected with a drug called Proin, though I thought it was just when they are relaxed that they leak, but what if her tone is SO bad that she leaks all the time."

I'll second what Chrys wrote. I sometimes watch my friends' Swissy named Thea. Thea is incontinent and even on Proin will leak occasionally. If she is at all excited? Forget about it. Her bladder just empties. When she gets dropped off here or her parents come pick her up we have to greet outside. So, like Chrys said, if you don't see much progress with training alone in the next few weeks, consider talking to your vet about incontinence.

That being said, the two of them seem like a match made in heaven! I'm really excited for you that things have gone so well. It looks like they have the great foundation for starting a solid life together. And with you too! I will warn you though, sometimes the "honeymoon" wears off after a while. Koda may realize she's not just visiting and is here to stay. So don't let your guard down too much just because they hit it off. Keep things positive and set them up for continued success. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Wow, she sounds like a really great Kai... and it great Koda and her are doing well. It is SO MUCH FUN to watch Kai play with each other, they are super silly.

I agree with Shigeru, to me the pee issue sounds like a UTI, it sounds exactly like what JJ had when she got here. She would pee outside over and over again, then come in hold it for 30 minutes then go in the house, with no warning at all. Then if we let her out after having an accident in the house she would go again out side! So, I would try to collect some urine and have the vet run a test. JJ's UTI came on due to the stress of being shipped here, so it could just be caused by the stress from her long flight to norcal.

Its awesome you gave her a home, she is gonna be a challenge but so rewarding too. Congrats!

More spam!!!

----
  • edited November -1
    Tara ,

When koshi arrived here she had the same exact symptoms as Brad's JJ . She was not housebroke & she peed all the time even while she was walking. I think Koshi may have had these sympyoms also because of the stress of her long journey. Good news is that over time it all cleared up & now she is totally normal , so just give her some time to adjust .
    As far as May May's coat, I am also a big fan of salmon oil. I think I would give her a couple of weeks, atleast for her to adjust to her new food & feeding schedule. If her stools look healthy then start with just a drop or two on her food once a day. Whatch her stool & over time you can give a little more . I agree that it could take 6 months plus to see improvement.
    CONGRATS...what you did for this pup was admirable to say the least!!!
  • edited November -1
    I will definitely take some pics today.

Got the call from the vet and she does not have a UTI. She is parasite free as well. MayMay got the full work up yesterday, but no we have not checked for anything wrong with the sphinctor, blatter, etc. He wants to wait a couple of weeks before doing any sort of ultra-sound. Oh, did I tell you all that my vet treated her for free and said whatever she needs he will do. He fell in love with her right away, and was excited that we took in a rescue. I am going to take complete advantage of his offer and get anything and everything checked out. We go back next week to have him re-check her scabs and coat.

She's at my mom's house right now, and Koda has been crying here since he heard me say her name on the phone. He just wanders around crying for her. Koda and I have obedience school this morning and then we are going to go get her. I just can't leave her alone in the home because she howls. :-0 My neighbors so wouldn't be ok with that.

She slept in her crate until 6:30am. Then went outside and pee'd. She's getting fed in her crate right now and will be taken out after to go potty again. She doesn't really get getting food from a bowl. It's so new to her. But no accidents this morning so that's great news! When my mom said "crate" to her she got it right away and walked in. I'm hoping this is a sign that she will be rather easy to train like Koda was.

Oh, and MayMay sings! She started yesterday when I picked her up. I put her in the crate with a chicken pig's ear and she started singing/humming to herself. This morning my mom said she was under the table doing it again. She is so cute!

Thanks everyone for the support. I'm sure I'm going to need a lot of it while training her. She has also made me appreciate how easy it was to train Koda. He really is a good dog! I have to give him more credit than I do. I expect Koda to behave at all times, and I think he needs some more spoils for the fact that he does.
  • edited March 2010
    Tara I so know what you mean about giving Koda credit. Haru is so well behaved sometimes I forget about her and focus my attention on the rest of the dogs. I've started to take her on separate walks that involve a lot of one on one play, and it seems to keep her happy. She was starting to whine when crated which she hasn't done for ages, and was gtting a bit snarky with the pups. I don't think she's getting 'jealous', more a matter of her getting less focused on me and just reacting however she feels like.

Great to hear about the vet, that's awesome to get support like that. Wish I had that right now, looks like things might get a bit pricey around here as Momo (the new Kishu) has a lot of blood in her urine. Getting her tested on Monday, hopefully it's just a UTI or something less sinister than the other possibilities.
  • edited November -1
    Sounds really fun Tara! She'll figure out the new rules in no time. Be prepared for some protests when the "honeymoon" period is over though ;)!

Regarding her urination issues. Does she simply dribble or leak urine without squatting and no conscious effort?

I would probably ask for a urine culture just to be certain there is no UTI. This is different than a urinalysis.

Dogs with spay incontinence typically leak urine when they sleep. You may find urine in the bedding, or behind them when they get up from a nap. The rest of their urinary efforts are normal.

Some other things to consider about dogs that drip/leak urine: Some females have vaginal strictures. These can cause pooling of urine behind them, and then positional changes result in leaking. If the drip is steady, she may have an ectopic ureter. The tube from the kidney is not attached at a point to deliver newly formed urine to the bladder, but at a point along the urethra. She doesn't exhibit any symptoms of nerve damage to her pelvis does she?

Let us know what you find out!

I concur - more spam!
  • edited November -1
    I have been meaning to get you all an update, but Maymay keeps me pretty busy. She is a very active little girl. :-)

Her coat is really bad and feels like she has been burnt? or maybe really matted at one time? around the back of the neck. You can see in the pic below that it sticks up. I've started her on supplements (omega 3's, fish oil, vitamin e) to help. She is also going to get on an Acana/Orijen mix to hopefully get that coat back in shape. She has a lot of breakage around her neck that also coincides with being tied up. We will get her looking good in no time. She also has some minor scars and scratches. Her paws are also missing some fur. Poor little girl. I feel so bad looking at her. I can't believe that anyone could neglect such a sweet little thing.

Maymay is very outgoing and loving. She has taken very well to the family. I really think she just wants someone to love her and cuddle with her. She is reserved with strangers, but what Kai isn't. I am actually surprised at how fast she knew that we were all family. She loves to take naps sprawled out on our laps with her head burried in us. It's too cute!

Her and Koda are getting along great. They play from morning until night with a nap in between. We took Maymay to the dog park and she is great with other dogs. She ran up to a Great Dane and jumped on it wanting to play. It was too funny! But mostly she likes little dogs, and did well with my friend's Shiba. Kai's and Shibas get along great anyways.

She is coming along with potty training, but we had a number two accident in the house yesterday. It was my fault, I should have been more on top of it, but now I know that she poops everyday between 2pm and 3pm. We are working on getting her crate trained.

She likes her crate a lot, and can open the door to climb in. Something I learned yesterday. She can also open any door in the house. Koda likes this trick, and they both bum rush me in the bathroom. She doesn't know any real basic manners in the house, and doesn't show any signs of being able to sit, stay, down, etc. I had my girlfriend who was born in Taiwan try to speak to her and it still didn't work. So, right now we are working on manners and basic commands.

She also can't walk on a leash. Friday she would only walk on her hind legs on the leash. Yesterday, she started going on all four's, but it took a harness to get her down. She is very neurotic, energetic, and lacks focus which can make it difficult, but she will come around. She's a very smart girl and is catching on, but it is going to take a lot of work.

The cutest thing she does is sing. She will go in her crate with a bully stick and sing, sing, sing. I love listening to her. I know that Kai's have been known to sing, but Koda never did so it's nice to listen to her and know that in that moment she is truly happy and content. It makes me feel really good to know that she is happy.

At this point, I am still thinking about whether or not I can adopt Maymay. I am torn because I love her already, and I want to keep her. She is probably too high energy for my parents. She needs a lot of exercise. I do want to keep her. Even if she was to be adopted out right now, I'm affraid that no one would understand and have the patience for her antics. She does things like jump up on the kitchen table, jump over the couch, get up on the counter. She needs constant attention, and that is what she is getting. I just need to make sure that having her in my home will be ok with Koda and not change his life too much. I will keep you posted, but I love her like my own kid already.

Now for pics. I have a crappy camera and she looks a little funny in some.

Me picking up Maymay from Red's house. Koda wouldn't pose for pics.
    MayandI

Ride home. She laid in the back with the Chicken Pig's Ear and sang for 20 minutes. She's a happy little girl
    May

Here you can see her hair is broken on the back of her head.
    IMG_0523

Ofcourse, perched on the couch watching everyone.
    IMG_0510

She tired Koda out at the dog park. He's falling asleep sitting up in the car.
    IMG_0508

She kind've looks odd. Not the best angle.
    IMG_0522

Koda's on the ground as usual.
    IMG_0516

She's watching Koda ready to pounce.
    IMG_0519

Not a great pic, but you can see where she is missing fur on her neck. It's a big scrape.
    IMG_0514

• edited November -1
    Too cute...So where's the video of her singing, I would love to hear that:)
  • edited November -1
    Her eyes are so bright and happy! She's beautiful!
  • edited November -1
    I've tried to sneak in with the camera to get a video but she stops and looks at me with those bright eyes! She is so ADD, that it makes her stop and run to me for kisses.