Rescue Question

edited May 2010 in Rescue
I think we touched on this question I have ages ago (in a post about 2 Shikoku), but here it is again.

Any opinions/thoughts on rescuing dogs that will need to be shipped from overseas to get to their new homes?

Comments

• edited November -1
    lol....got one and just got an email about two more Kai pups.
  • edited November -1
    Personally I was so conflicted about getting Miko because I do so much work in rescue. I felt like I was betraying someone. Had there been the possibility of rescuing a Shikoku from anywhere I would have jumped at the chance. I think I would be offended if people we importing homeless labs or pit bulls when we have millions here. But considering how many people are on lengthy wait lists it seems sensible.
  • edited November -1
    I'm just throwing this out there because it is pretty hard to re home dogs here in Japan. Especially when it's medium/large adult dogs, and NK at that. I do kind of have issues with spending all the cash and whatnot to get a dog overseas from Japan, when that same amount could be spent to save more (?) dogs over in the States. But, I know that there aren't that many NK over there in rescues at the moment, maybe this is viable. I just don't know, so asking for input from everyone.
  • edited November -1
    I think the groups of people who are willing to rescue & ship a NK from a shelter in Japan are not the same groups of people who would rescue a pup in the states - otherwise they would have already done so in the states. So, I don't see it as taking potential $ from US shelters.

If there is a dog that needs to be saved, and someone wants to give him/her a new forever home, no matter where it is, I think that's a "good" thing.

----
  • edited November -1
    I think it's awesome that here in the states we have such a great national network for adopting. A dog in California can be adopted from someone in NY, for example. I think it really helps the dogs [ & the people looking for them ] a ton that they are not limited to one area.

What would be even more amazing is having a global rescue network in place. Whilst it would be extremely difficult & costly [ probably why it's not in place now ] I think, starting one in Japan [ like the one for Taiwan, as how Tara got her kai ] is a step in the right direction.

As others have stated, rescuing from Japan would be slightly more costly then rescuing from a local shelter, thus, it is attracting a different type of Rescuer.

As an example, I'm sure Jessica would've rescued a shikoku from Japan, even if the shipping charges were the same cost of buying one from a breeder. She's cool like that. :) As for her it's not about the price, it's about getting a dog a forever home.

Now, Not all people are like that, but there are a few out there who are. Being able to rescue from Japan would "add" & attract a certain "niche," not detract from current rescues.

Not the same, but similar. There is a shiba owner on these forums [ or the shibaside, can't remember ] who is in Canada & actually rescued a dog from the states. So it's definitely possible. :) ~
  • edited November -1
    Oh, the only thing I wanted to add is, the biggest problem [ other than costs & shipping / getting the dogs out of Japan ] would be screening homes. But I'm sure the forum members would be able to help with that. We are pretty scattered everywhere :)~
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    I agree mostly with Brad.

The one thing that I might nickpic is that the people willing to rescue & ship a NK from a shelter in Japan should do so with the intention of keeping the dog for themselves.

There should be no rescuing that resembles a brokership.
  • edited November -1
    NKs become more and more popular around the world, so I think shipping rescue dogs would be a good idea. People who want a NK will get one, since puppies are being shipped all over the world already. Some of them would rather take a rescue dog than a puppy, if they had a chance... So why not give them the chance?
    In the German Shiba-forum I'm a member of, there's a NK-rescue-woman. I'm going to contact her, maybe she is interested in "world-wide-NK-rescue"...
    Oh, since next week are my last lessons I would have plenty of time for fostering dogs (until in the beginning of October my first semester starts), if there is any need, I'd love to help. (I doubt you need somebody in Germany though...)
  • edited November -1
    The one thing that I might nickpic is that the people willing to rescue & ship a NK from a shelter in Japan should do so with the intention of keeping the dog for themselves.

I agree with this statement. It's difficult to re-home a breed that not many people have heard of. I will probably end up keeping Maymay because of this. There are two more Kai pups that I would love to take in that are coming here, but I just can't have 4 dogs in the house and I wouldn't know how long it would take to adopt them out. Maymay was already on her way here when I agreed to take her. It was a done deal.

I would say that NK from Japan would be great, unless it's a Shiba. We have so many here that need good homes. But it is difficult to sell a Kishu, Shikoku, & Kai. As much as we love our dogs they are not for everyone.
  • edited November -1
    Shigeru

I would say yes if its a situation like the way you got Momo. I know I'm being selfish but it would be hard for me to justify adopting a dog that I would not beable to hunt with. I would say hell yes if its a dog like Momo. Not sure if there are that many hunting NK that are up for adoption but if there are any you know I will be the first to jump on it. As for health and its temperment, as long as its some thing I can work with like you did, no issue for me.
  • edited November -1
    Gen I don't think it's selfish for you to want a dog for specific reasons.
  • edited November -1
    I would be open to rescuing an older NK, but as I travel to Japan to visit family every few years, I would be able to arrange to meet the dog as well as the rescue group, kennel or owner so that we can all get a sense of each other and maybe determine if this is a good match. At the very least, I could beg my wife to translate a telephone call to Japan for me or check my grammar & kanji in e-mails written in Japanese. But, for folks here in the U.S., who cannot communicate in Japanese or have the ability to travel to Japan, I think that there might be some logistical problems, primarily: 1. Who would do basic checks on the rescuer; and 2. What kind of fallback system would be in place or setup in the event that an international rescue failed here in the U.S.?

The ARWNY site has a pretty bad story up on its front page right now about a failed domestic akita adoption: the rescuer did not contact ARWNY to inform them that there was a problem until ARWNY contacted the rescuer, the akita was really sick and ended up returning to a foster home. Here in the U.S., if I want to rescue any dog, I would have to meet with the rescue group, there is a face-to-face meeting and there is some basic investigation into me. my home, etc., and, usually, an agreement that if the adoption/rescue fails, that I will return the dog to the rescue group. It would seem that there would have to be some kind of a rescue group set up here to follow up with these rescues.
  • edited November -1
    I just went to the ARWNY site to read about.....that was AWFUL. No excuse for that kind of treatment. And the dog below had a horrible story too....

I can see why international rescue would be complicated--it would be so hard to properly check out the person. And I also agree about Shibas--there are so many Shibas in need in this country, that I don't think we should be importing more rescue Shibas.

On another note, everytime I read the rescue stories I want to take them all! I would take a rescue if a group could find the proper dog for me (ie one that got along with other dogs) but I pretty much get turned down right away because I have Shibas (and I'm not close enough for a home check). I understand why they do have to be super vigilant, though.

(And I did talk to NMARG this weekend at the dog show, and they really did think I could find a rescue Akita that would work eventually, but they don't have any themselves, and some other groups are not so convinced).
  • edited November -1
    Amazing things these computers. They did my homecheck via youtube! I had to show them a bill envelope with my name on it. Then the outside address of the house. I made a video and sent it in. It was pretty cool.