Maymay is staying

edited April 2010 in Rescue
I have decided that I am happy to keep Maymay for as long as it takes to find her a good home, but will not be adopting her. She is a super sweetheart and I love her very much, but she needs more attention than I can giver her and it would be selfish of me to keep her. Maymay does have some special needs let me break it down quickly:

She is still getting potty trained (this is taking a long time!)
She can open any front door and has opened the back gate. :-)
She howls if left alone
She loves her crate, but shouldn't be left in it for a long period of time
She really needs a home where people are going to be home with her all day
She can be aggressive towards other dogs but it's not the norm
She has little tolerance for puppies and their rude behavior
Children are iffy if a family has a child then they may want to make sure that Maymay likes their kid first. Kids should never tease Maymay. She does do great with my niece though.
Same with another dog in the home
She needs to be close to one person in the family and needs to be loved by them, she needs affection and be able to lay on your lap, but she has to sleep in her crate.

All in all she is coming along great with training. She was hell on wheels when we first got her. She got her rabies shot, is on Interceptor for heartworm, K9 Advantix, and her teeth are clean now. Her coat feels a lot better, and she's been groomed. She eats Acana dry food with Wellness or Before Grain mixed in and gets Salmon Oil daily.

Maymay does have some special needs, and if well managed is a great dog but not for the first time dog owner. She needs a patient experienced owner who will use positive training techniques. She does have some fear issues if people raise their voices and has to be properly introduced to other dogs. She did do great though at Pt. Isabelle last weekend and didn't have any conflicts with other dogs. It's usually just in her home that she doesn't like all dog visitors. She does great with Koda, and they love eachother so much. She would do well with another Kai or a Shiba.

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's too bad. I hope MayMay finds a forever home soon :)
  • edited November -1
    I hope that you are able to find her the perfect forever home.

Good luck to you, and thank you for making sure that she has a home until her forever family can find her. :)
  • edited November -1
    It was decided on Friday, after I interviewed the fifth home for Maymay, that I am keeping her. I am filling out the application this week, and hopefully this will end up being quick and easy since she's been with me for almost 3 months.

I figured that Koda and I need her as much as she needs us.
  • edited November -1
    Foster Failure!

Hahah...well congrats, I'm happy that she found herself an excellent home with a wonderful family. =p
  • edited November -1
    I am totally a foster failure!!!!

Honestly, Maymay plays me like a fiddle! She's always been in total control of me and Koda loving her. She runs the house, and I'm kind've used to it now.
  • edited November -1
    oh wonderful!!, hehe, MayMay is lucky to have you Tara!
  • edited November -1
    Haha... I know how hard it is to let them go, and if you can keep them I honestly think its best. Congrats! :o)
  • edited November -1
    Bravo!
  • edited November -1
    Good job, Tara! Congrats! and congratulations to MayMay!
  • edited November -1
    yay maymay! :)

Koda could use a sister anyway :p lol~
  • edited November -1
    Koda's sister picked on him this morning Osy. He may disagree with you right now. ha ha ha. She wouldn't share her ball and told him off. I'm sure by now they are back to being best buds, but he was really butt hurt by her this morning. Kids.......

Thanks everyone! But no more dogs for me until I get a bigger house! :-P
  • edited November -1
    LOL Awww, they're just like every other brother & sister haha

Hey. No celebratory spam?!?!? ~
  • edited November -1
    "Thanks everyone! But no more dogs for me until I get a bigger house!"

Careful what you say Tara, all of us here on the forums tend to say things like this and then the next thing you know...

..."Look what I/we got today!" -grins- LOL.

We'll be eagerly anticipating the arrival of your new Kai puppy import or Cane Corso pup =p. You wanted a Cane Corso, right?
  • edited November -1
    Yay! I'm so glad she's staying!
  • edited November -1
    ha ha ha Corina! I know I should watch out. And yes, I would like both a Kai import someday and a CC. Plus, I will always love my Rott's!

Osy, I took a movie the other day of what Koda does when I take out the camera. No eye contact what so ever. I will have to upload it and show you what a diva he is.
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations on being a "foster failure" from another one. MayMay is really lucky to have found you.
  • edited November -1
    LOL that video of Koda sounds cute!

Congrats on Maymay I bet she'll be happy to live with you now.
  • edited November -1
    This makes me so very happy.
  • edited November -1
    glad you decided to keep her. I think Tora would like to trade in her shiba siblings for Kai puppies.
  • edited November -1
    Congrats!

This is coming from a fellow foster failure. I'm really not a cat person, but for some reason we have 3. I've since learned I can't keep them all, haha.

I'm sure Koda is happy about her staying.
  • edited November -1
    I am a little late, but congrats to you, Koda, and Maymay!!!!

And being a foster failure is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! :-D