Is this a Shiba? Or another type of NK?

edited October 2010 in Rescue
I got an email from Red, No. California Shiba Inu Rescue, and he recently heard of a dog that needs some help. I'm asking all of you to take a look and let me know what you think. Is this a cream shiba? or do you think a mix? Maybe another type of NK?

Thanks!

Tara

Red's Email
Hi Tara,
The folks with TUAPA calls this girl a big Shiba. I'm not so sure. They named her
Creamy since she's cream colored.

I know you're on the Nihon-Ken forum a lot ... perhaps you can post some of these
pics and ask for some opinions ?

She's too big to be a Shiba ... she could be a small Akita. She's cream so she's
not a Kishu, I think. Maybe a Hokkaido Ken ? Taiwan is only 5 hours from Japan
by plane .... Creamy definitely has a nihon-ken look, but I just don't know what she
is. Of course, they want me to find a good home for her in Calif. They say she
is very sweet with people and other dogs.....I asked for her weight and height at
the withers...

Thanks,
Red

securedownload4

securedownload3

securedownload2

securedownload

rescue 10-19

Comments

• Looks like a Jindo Tj although Riki has simillar coloration, now that I got Riki next to me its almost the same exact markings. But I'm gonna say Jindo by the fascial features.
  • I thought Jindo too, but I don't think Red thought soo. I was hoping Ann would take a look on here.

BTW my name is Tara. :-P Just in case you were wondering.
  • aykayk
    edited October 2010
    I would have ID'ed the dog as more Jindo-like rather than NK-like, too.

The stuff that I would put a question mark on is the tail and the views of the head. I would have expected longer hairs on the outside of the curl of the tail. Instead, the tail has even hairs all around and reminds me of the tails in some Shikoku. The side view of the head is difficult to make out due to the background, and the bright light could be washing out some of the facial features in the heads-on view. (In other words, I'm leaving myself an out to be completely wrong. :-)
  • My first thought was Jindo too. Not Kishu due to the pigment of her nose. Not a cream Shikoku due to the odd head shape (for a Shikoku). Her color looks very cream Kai Ken to me, but that would be the largest female Kai Ken on the planet. LOL (and the head doesn't say "Kai" to me either)
  • Looks similar to the Jindo girls I met at the beach a few weeks ago, though I always pictured jindos as being more slender.
  • edited October 2010
    Hokkaido? --I noticed a few Hokkaido photos on google that look similar. I feel it is kinda of a stretch.

• I originally thought Hokkaido at first glance, but the head and earset are off. Plus, last I heard there are only something like 3 Hokkaido in the U.S. (don't quote me on that), so that would be pretty unbelievable if one showed up in a rescue.
  • Also, that would be a HUGE Hokka! (based on the pics)
  • edited October 2010

Yeah IDK either.

Jindo
  • This dog is in Taiwan Dave.
  • aykayk
    edited October 2010
    Hmm... I would have put up a different reference picture of a Jindo. I'll try to locate one of a head style similar to the one Tara posted.

For the Hokkaido, be cautious of some of the pics on dogbreedinfo.com. They are owner-submitted and sometimes based on wistful thinking rather than fact.

Here are some different pictures of a Hokkaido. I'm pretty sure the last one is from the show hosted by the Hokkaido/Ainu preservation show.

• I didn't did too much into where the photos came from. Looking back I can see what you mean.
  • from the front and head shots I say Jindo. It could possibly be a cross between the two. There are also all makes and models of both breeds so it's a tough call.

Snf
  • Looks like a lot of spitz type mutts I see over here.
  • Shigeru that's the question. What type of Spitz mutt do you think she is? :-D
  • Hi, tjbart17 .

I have Hokkaido-inu.
    Judging from her face and coat, I don't think Creamy is Hokkaido.

For Hokkaido, She has too thin coat and her nose is too large&vertical.
    I think she is Jindo or Kishu.

Here's my Hokkaido-pictures.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • Thats what I noticed too was the thinn coat so I ruled the Ainu out. There are quite a few red nosed Kishus and Riki is also a red nosed Kishu. I'm starting to think that it might even be a spits type cross aka a ol mutt.
  • My thoughts would be, 1. Jindo 2. a Big Shiba or 3. A Spitzy mutt. [ not necessarily in that order ]

She's a cutie regardless :) ~
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think she's a big shiba. I don't think she has the shiba look in terms of face or ears. Also, look at the feet, which are not NK, at least not Shiba or Akita....they have the spread that I don't see in the tight paws of NKs. That said, my experience is super limited, so I can't speak to Hokkaido etc. The Hokkaidos look like giant Shibas to my uneducated eye, but this dog does not look a big Shiba.

A Jindo maybe? I don't even have enough experience to make a guess there, but perhaps? Or a spitz mutt of some type. Husky cross?