NIPPO Chiba Regional (Fall 2010)

Today was the NIPPO Chiba branch tenrankai (show). I got up at 5 and got all the dogs walked and fed. It was an overcast day, but luckily the rain held off till everything was done at around 2 in the afternoon.

The event was held in a new location, and luckily for me it's around 30 minutes away from my house. I got there early to help set up. I've been attending a lot of NIPPO shows for several years now, and aside for showing a friend's pup once, I'm just there taking pictures and meeting up with friends. Today however my good friend and mentor was busy with the judging (he's a NIPPO judge in training), so was unable to show his own dogs.

My two Kishu are far off the standard, so I don't show them, and Haru is KKA (Kai Ken Aigokai), so I can't show her either. The other day I got a call from my friend asking if I wanted a little practice handling, in preparation for when I actually have a dog to show. I was more than happy to agree to show one of his dogs. She's a very nice red Shikoku female, but at 6 years old she's never really shown well. She doesn't like the ring, and has always dropped her tail (in NIPPO that's very frowned upon).

Well I got her out on leash for the first time yesterday, and then today was the big day. Of course, Saki's tail was dragging. Well wonder of wonders and after hours of coaxing, walking, and treats (and maybe a little begging), I managed to get her through the morning 'kotai shinsa' (physical exam) without her tail dropping. Everyone was surprised, and while we thought that she wouldn't make it to the actual judging in the afternoon, she did.

Amazingly enough she did even better in the afternoon, and I was able to get her into at least a semblance of a stand. We ended up taking 3rd place. I was giddy, and everyone came round to congratulate us, at which point Saki's tail dropped, haha. So, I guess I just burned through my beginner's luck.

It was a great day though as my mentor's aka young male Shikoku took 1st in his class (as usual), and then went up against the adult male who took first for the 'Honbusho'. He's been going after this at all the regional's this fall, and kept coming up short. Today was his lucky day however, and he ended up winning. Since my friend was helping with the judging, another friend (Suzuki-san, Koshi's breeder) had to show him, and he did an excellent job.

It was a great day all around, and I even had Haru tag along for fun. She got to meet and play with some of the other Kai there.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Male Kishu

This is Gakuto, a male Kai, littermate to Gin, a male I've taken pictures of before.

Kai Male

Sleeping Shiba

Sleeping Shiba Faces

Shikoku Male

A very rare yushoku Kishu Female

Female Kishu

Male Kishu

Kishu Pups

A very nicely balanced Kishu male

Kishu Male 1

Shikoku Male

Koto

DSC_0255

Maki

Maki 2

Kishu Female

Shikoku Female

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing! & Congrats on doing so well in the ring! Must've been great experience :)

We really need more of the medium sized NK over here stateside. Seeing your photos makes me feel very robbed :p

& sidenote....Gakuto??!?! Like Gackt, the singer? LOL Handsome boy :) ~
  • Nice!!! Way to go. You should show her again. The two of you may have some chemistry going on. What a great opportunity.

All of the pics are amazing as usual!
  • Thanks for sharing! Yushoku kishu are impressive !
  • Ditto to what Tara said. Keep showing that bitch, she seems to like you. :-)
  • Love that Yushoku kishu! And those Kishu pups, that's a great shot.

The Shikoku... I don't love the direction the breed is going with that very narrow look. That's disappointing to me.

The male Kai is interesting.

----
  • Beautiful pictures! The two Kishu pups... That is priceless! As well as the two Shibas sleeping. :)

And I agree with everyone else... Seems like you and Saki had some good chemistry going.
  • Thanx for sharing pics. ^^
    I really love Koto!!!
    :)