Update- Adopted 2nd Time -Shiba/Chow?? Mix Northern CA (cross posted from Shiba side)

edited February 2011 in Rescue
SEE MY UPDATE OF 2/4/11

There is a very sweet Shiba/Chow??? female mix at the Sacramento County Bradshaw facility. Here is the link:

http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/acr/Pages/DogsPuppies.aspx

I have seen this little girl. She is really pretty sweet. One of the volunteers wrote:

"She is a litttle doll Im really surprised she isn't adopted.She loved everyone I also put her with the older male she could care less. walking her around other dogs had no reaction either, she appeared just under a year, maybe 35 lbs no more someone from the public looked at her and handled her alot and she was fine. this is a perfect sized dog with a great temparment. "

Please share info on 'Kelly Q". Her identification #: KELLY Q - ID#A538717

My name is KELLY Q.

You will find me in kennel D-085.

I am an unaltered female, black Shiba Inu and Chow Chow.

I have been at the shelter since Jan 05, 2011.

See Shiba side for pictures

Comments

• Is that a brindled Chow/Shiba mix?
  • edited January 2011
    Since I can't ever seem to identify a Kai (unless they are obviously brindle) I wondered if this dog might be a Kai (the tongue didn't look obviously purple this time! :lol:). I couldn't tell if the dog is brindle or not....she looked black....

But you all know I'm always thinking the black chow mixes are Kais! :lol: She doesn't have a really chow or shiba face though....pretty dog in any case.
  • Is there a pic with he tongue? I didn't see it.

Here's a shorter link to her http://www.petharbor.com/pet.asp?uaid=SACC.A538717 She's really cute.
  • This little girl is totally black. Her fur is lovely. I looked at her tongue because of the "chow" thing. She had a little purple marking at the bottom of her tongue. Her original intake photo didn't do her justice, so we (in Shiba rescue) tried to get some better photos of her. The results are posted on the Shiba side. (Sorry, I have problems w/ getting photos posted on this side.) I think she would make a good "family addition" for anyone familiar with Nihon Ken/Asian dogs/Spitz dogs temperament.
  • I was looking at the pics on the Shiba side which showed part of her tongue....interesting about just a bit of purple on her tongue....that's a Kai thing, isn't it?
  • She's a Chow. Kai spots are darker. She's really adorable.
  • Tara, I'll figure it out at some point....maybe after I see a Kai in real life, right? I need to go up and visit Brad's Kai army so I can see one for real!
  • Lol it was also her head shape that says Chow. When your dog gets called a Chow mix almost everyday like Koda you start to study the breed to show people differences.
  • Not that it matters since she needs a home regardless, but I don't see an ounce of Shiba. Hope she gets a great home.
  • that's kind of what I thought....she really didn't look shiba.

You know what puzzles me? How is it there are so many Chow crosses around? I hardly ever see Chows, and didn't think they were a particularly popular breed, but chow crosses show up all the time! (I had one who was chow/lab and looked somewhat like that dog.....She was a sweet girl).
  • This little girl was adopted on 1/26/11 !!! Woo hoo!
  • Glad she was quickly adopted!
  • I am too! It took a little behind the scenes work to make this happen. She was brought into the shelter as a stray on 1/5/11. Red Young (Northern CA Shiba Rescue) and I kind of tag-teamed on this. We belong to a "rescue network" that Sacramento County Animal Care and Regulation operates. The Bradshaw shelter distributes information about animals needing homes thru a network of rescues. The rescue network members jointly try to help place dogs in need. I went to look at her on 1/21/11 and took some photos. At this point she was up for adoption (not rescue, which is a different category). I suggested to the volunteers at the shelter that her "intake" photo kind of needed to be replaced--it didn't do her justice. The result-the nice photos that I posted on the Shiba/Nihon Ken websites and the picture on Petfinder. Meanwhile, Red was contacted by potential adopters who were interested in a Shiba/Jindo/Shiba mixes. He told them about Kelly Q. One was a lady whose 14 year old Jindo had recently passed away. She later contacted Red and told him that she'd met Kelly Q and was going to adopt her. She is probably Kelly Q's adopter.

I am sharing this information to sort of demonstrate how adoptions and rescues "happen". Some of it is sheer luck. The right adopter shows up. Some of it is trying to be an effective advocate/spokesperson for the animal that needs adoption or rescue.
  • @sukoshi's mom I got Mei from Red emailing Marsha on the NAKA website. She posted her on the yahoo group asking for someone to foster, and well she decided right away she wasn't leaving.
  • tjbart17
    Thanks for sharing the story of how you found Mei. So glad you did.

Red got an update from her new owner yesterday. Kelly Q - now Kia- is settling well into her new home.
  • edited January 2011
    This adoption was cancelled. The adopter returned Kelly Q (Now KIA) to the Bradshaw shelter on 1/30/10. Her # is A5387171

Apparently, the little girl is sweet, but has some separation anxiety issues. From what the former adopter reported, Kelly Q is a velcro dog that likes to follow you everywhere and may bark if being left behind. She also was never housetrained. The staff at the Shelter feel that this was a "mismatch" of dog and adopter.

So Red Young with Northern CA Shiba Rescue is looking for home for this little girl. (Either a permanent or foster home.) So if you can help this girl by adopting her, fostering her, identifying a rescue that has foster space-- please contact Red.
    His email: shibak9@aol.com
    His phone number:408-347-0470
  • That's sad....and so quick too...I don't know, if it were me, I'd expect a dog to take awhile to adjust, even with the barking/not being housetrained, but....

Anyway, I hope she gets a home soon. She looks like a sweet dog who just needs to learn.
  • That is sad. Mei had severe separation anxiety (loneliness) and wasn't housetrained. I'm so happy I stuck it through. Even if it was a bit painful at times. She is seriously one of the best dogs I have ever had. My parents are very lucky to have her.

If this woman wouldn't stick it out, then she doesn't deserve her. I hope Kelly Q finds a good home.
  • Just wanted to let everyone know that Kia was adopted for the second time on 2/2/11. Woo hoo!

Hopefully, this works...
  • Glad that she quickly got a second chance. Hopefully this one will work out and be her forever home! :)