Tosa Inu for Rescue

edited February 2011 in Rescue
Browsing pet finder and came across this posting..

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18004161

Not sure if anyone here is interested or able to but he sure is gorgeous..

Comments

• Poor guy. Too bad they only adopt within a 1.5 hour radius of Reno. It sounds like they are going to have a tough time finding him a home anywhere, let alone in such a narrow area. :-(
  • Cute pup... that's not a Tosa tho.
  • Yeah, they're going to have a hard time with that one. And I didnt' think he looked like a Tosa either...
  • I wasn't sure if it was actually a Tosa but was hoping someone on here with more experience could confirm if he is or isn't. Petfinder can be irritating because people will post a dog as something that it clearly isn't.
  • Tosa or not, he's still a cute dog! So, I'm glad you posted him here maybe someone can give him a home.
  • Looks like some sort of mastiff cross. Wonder how he would do as a sheep guardian.
  • From the description he sounds pretty animal aggressive.
  • It's really too bad that they put limitations on his adoptive residence though =/. Perhaps there is someone who can give him a home elsewhere, ya know?
  • Yeah doesn't seem any thing like a Tosa. Sucks that the limitations will make him hard to get adopted.
  • Well, I hope he finds a home...he is a handsome dog!
  • I have a hard time understanding why so many rescues have such strict rules. I mean, they're going to have a really, really hard time finding this guy a home. I get rules that help dogs from going to less than ideal situations, but some rules are needlessly restrictive. I've seen a lot of rescues like that and it really bothers me. I can't stand rescues who won't adopt out to families with kids, for instance. Not just the dogs that aren't good with kids, just no dog can go to a house with kids, period. My brother-in-law's family went to a bunch of different rescues to get a dog and none of them would adopt to them because they have kids. They ended up buying from a backyard breeder. NOT a good decision on their part, but I think it shows how some rescue policies end up turning potential dog owners to other, not-so-good sources. And I've heard of rescues for toy breeds that won't adopt out to you unless you have a fenced yard. I understand for larger breeds (not that you NEED a fenced yard to take care of any dog, but it is impractical for large, active dogs) but toy breeds? A lot of people get toy breeds specifically because they don't have a lot of space, and the BYBs know it and are totally capitalizing on it!

Anyway, I really went off on a tangent there.
  • Heidi, I've had some of the same kind of complaints myself. I understand why they need to have rules, but it does make me sad that I couldn't get a rescue dog from most Akita/Shiba rescue groups, for example. (Not the one in New Mexico--they're pretty good about looking at the entire situation rather than just having very strict rules).
  • Here in alabama I went to 7 different rescues before my husband went to a breeder to get Kenij. They wouldn't adopt ANY dog to me because I live in a apt.