Rescuing, What you can do to help

edited May 2010 in Rescue
I originally posted this on the shiba forum but it is relevant to all dogs. There are aren't as many members "new to dogs" here, but not all of our member are as active in rescue as they may want to be.

So there have been questions regarding what one can do to help with dog rescue. And it certainly seems deserving of a thread.

Adopt
It seems obvious but there are millions of homeless dogs and cats. More than 80% pure bred. Most abandoned for circumstantial reasons not anything they did. I have seen dogs dumped at the shelter for reasons as insane as "he didn't go with the couch" to "my girlfriend wants a puppy....."(don't get me started on that one). As I have mentioned before good dogs are killed regularly because of a lack of space. Please consider rescuing first!

Spend your money conscientiously
Do not buy from pet stores that sell dogs. Yes all dogs sold in pet stores are from puppy mills and BYB's we know that. But we often forget how much money talks. If you rescue your dog or buy him from a reputable breeder, but are still buying supplies from a pet store that sells dogs, you are supporting them. So spend your money at pet stores that do not sell animals. Even better, support a pet store that works with shelter groups for adoption drives. I personally drive an hour and a half to get Primal Raw at a pet store I respect and support, so I don't have to buy from the one (5 miles away) that sells puppies. I have however written that pet store a number of letters informing them why they will not get my business.

FOSTER
Anyone in rescue will tell you fostering is the back bone of what we do. It can be hard to part ways with a dog you helped. Especially when you take in one with health issues, that you nursed to wellness. But I will tell you personally that the email updates and picture you receive of that baby with a family that loves them is so very very special. There is the risk that you will fall madly in love with your foster pup and end up keeping them. Roxy was Pam's foster.She kept her. Moto was my foster. Kept him. Ruby was my foster. She is mine forever. I have to admit I am a complete foster failure only one made it out of my house. But other people are really good at it, and we always need more people. If you want to foster, just google dog rescue and whatever city you live in, you will be amazed how many rescue groups are begging for fosters. Or check petfinder, they have a shelter search.

Transport
A lot of rescue groups will take in dogs from around the country. But they need help getting dogs to fosters or forever homes. It normally only involves picking the dog up and driving them a couple hours to the next leg of the transport. Again search local rescue groups you will have no shortage of options.

Home visits
Most reputable rescues require that applicants receive a home visit. Where someone comes to their house to insure that they are who they say they are and that they can provide a safe healthy home for the dog they want to adopt. Rescue groups are always looking for people to do this.

Walk Dogs
I typically choose to do this at municipal shelters where the dogs are the most depressed, neglected, and stressed. This can be higher risk as these dogs are often not assessed, so you need to have a very strong understanding of canine body language and behavior. If you are not there yet, then visiting private rescues and humane societies is good too. Basically you come and play with dogs. It is incredibly rewarding. I cannot tell you enough! Some of my happiest moments in my entire life have been spent covered in dog spit and dirt rolling around with dogs who never felt loved before. Or coaxing a terrified cowering dog out of her pen and eventually getting to see her inner puppy come out when she knows she is safe with you. It can be tough in kill shelters, because some days you come in and a friend is no longer in his pen and you know he wasn't adopted. It does make it a hell of a lot easier to not shop in pet stores though...

Grant writing
This is something many shelters and rescues always need help with. If you have a knack for writing this can be a HUGE help to rescue groups.

Web/Internet Support and work
Almost all shelters have petfinder pages and/or websites. And most of them could use a hand designing and/or maintaining them. If this is a skill you have, offer it up. Most rescues would be thrilled to have the help.

DONATE
Doesn't have to be money (though they can use that too). Drop off blankets, food, toys, beds. Ideally ask the shelters first what they need. Kuranda bed even has a program where you can donate beds to the shelters of your choice. I try do donate at least three a year. But trust me even municipal shelters are desperate for donations. Philadelphia had a canine strep outbreak and had to move HUNDREDS of dogs into a garage in crates. Those crates had to be donated. The city could have just as easily killed the dogs (BTW euthanasia is something you do to put a sick or injured animal out of it's misery. Ending the life of a healthy happy animal, that's just killing). Every penny helps.

I am sure I will think of more and hopefully other members will too.

Here are some pictures of dogs I fell in love with over the years.
Tinkerbell now Tinka, she became the first CGC certified dog in Providence BEFORE being adopted. Her family loved her so much they adopted another dog from us 3 months later.
Recent Tinkerbell4
This little boxer was a family pet. The family decided they didn't want her anymore so they locked her in a basement FOR SEVEN YEARS. They just threw kibble down there amongst her waste. When she came to the shelter we all kind of assumed she would be super aggressive (wouldn't you be?). But no, she was so lovely. She now lives with a wonderful family and her two boxer brothers.
Heartbreak Boxer
This is Wyatt Earp. A year after he was adopted I was sitting at a cafe and saw those ears poking out of a car window. I came running up and asked the owner where her dog came from. She said his name was Wyatt. He was huge but never grew into those ears. He LOVES his family.
Wyatt Earp Adopted!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Awesome post Jessica! I propose this go into the Article Section & get listed under the "Help Tab"

Bravo! :) ~
  • edited November -1
    LOL the bermuda triangle of posts....Maybe HELP should be changed to FAQs
  • edited November -1
    Momo's my rescue for now. I will say that while it's a lot of work, when things start coming together it's extremely rewarding. To see a dog change is a wonderful thing.

I know a 4 year old male Shikoku that needs a new home /wink wink.

Thanks for putting this up, Jessica. Even if we can't rescue there's a lot that can be done to help.
  • edited November -1
    Shigeru,
    You KNOW that if you start a thread about the Shikoku male he will have a home in about 6 minutes...

And BTW I love love love reading about all that you have accomplished with Momo. It really does make me happy.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    Jessica, I would suggest that there be some "norms" on what would be considered a rescue vs. a re-homing.

In Momo's case, wouldn't it be closer to a re-homing?
  • edited November -1
    (cross posted from the Shiba side)

Organize/participate in a dog oriented Meetup.

I organized our Shiba meetup partly to help rescue efforts in Northern CA. I use the Meetup system to let people know about Shibas needing rescue. Rescue websites are permanently listed as "sponsors" on our site. The Meetup has also become a good avenue for "Shiba education". Our first year, we "placed" about six Shibas needing homes.
  • edited November -1
    I would have to say rehoming in a neglectful situation especially if it keeps a dog OUT of a shelter is by all means a rescue.
  • edited November -1
    I would have to say rehoming in a neglectful situation especially if it keeps a dog OUT of a shelter is by all means a rescue.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Jessica. Some of those animals out there might have "homes" per say but it's definitely a rescue situation to get them out of there and make them better.
  • aykayk
    edited May 2010
    How about intact status or intention to breed the dog in the new home?
  • edited November -1
    Momo's my rescue for now. I will say that while it's a lot of work, when things start coming together it's extremely rewarding. To see a dog change is a wonderful thing.

I couldn't have said it better! Maymay actually sat and waited for her food patiently this morning. It seems small, but she had no impulse control when she got to my house and now my little girl has manners! It felt great.

I try and bring down something to the shelter near my house every month. Even a $5 check is appreciated. I work in fundraising and marketing for non-profits, and I can tell you that no matter what the amount is we are always excited to see a new donor. I'm going to add, spread the word. If you know of a good organization in your area, tell someone about it. Word of mouth helps others to get involved.

Sweet thread Jessica! Thanks
  • edited May 2010
    Ann, I am not sure I understand your question.

I had written this at the request of some members who wanted to know what they can do outside of fostering. This is not by any means dedicated to any specific breed. And is merely ways people can help the rescue community.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    I'm probably blurring this topic with the other topic that was stickied. The one about buying a pet store pup is not rescuing.

Unfortunately, in my breed, there's been some spectacular blowups about rescuers who take intact dogs from people giving them up, placing those dogs intact or outright as breeding prospects, and the dogs in turn are abandoned after producing a litter. All under the label of rescue (and even soliciting resources/funds for this).

Things are better now, but I hope to divert any landmines with the NK breeds if people are clear on defintions.
  • edited November -1
    ooh I have heard of this with Jindos.

I think Jessica was referring to some comments made on the Shiba forum with the buying a petstore pup is not rescuing. I've read a couple of comments on that forum where owners have down right said they rescued their Shiba from a petstore. My jaw dropped while reading a few posts over there a few weeks ago.

Jessica, please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • edited November -1
    Tara that was exactly where that sticky came from. Honestly I lost my sh*t when that people where buying pet store dogs and calling it a rescue or adoption.

This came from people wanting to know if there was something more than money or fostering to help shelter dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Lol yeah that's what I thought Jessica. I had to stop reading some of the newbies stuff over there because of the pet store rescuing going on. I was afraid to open an intro and read another post like that. I almost jumped out of my skin on a couple.
  • edited November -1
    "This little boxer was a family pet. The family decided they didn't want her anymore so they locked her in a basement FOR SEVEN YEARS. They just threw kibble down there amongst her waste. When she came to the shelter we all kind of assumed she would be super aggressive (wouldn't you be?). But no, she was so lovely."

OMG! I can't believe anyone could do this to a dog even worse a boxer it hurts my heart to see any dog in pain, but I have a special place in my heart for boxers and shiba inu when ever I see one that's been abused it breaks my heart. For Seven years that poor girl was down in that basement that's just sad! I can't imagine why would someone do this to a dog. I love Bella she was so naughty as a puppy and needed lots of training and exercise, but I still loved her even when she chewed up the couch. I'm so glad she is in a loving home. She looks like a sweetheart.

I try to give $5 every month and if I can afford it $30 or more I hope to once I get my drivers license to help the staff out by cleaning the kennels, walking, and playing with the dogs.

I'd love to foster shiba inu and boxers eventually, but right now I can't so I do what I can.

Thanks for making this thread. =)
  • I'm not sure where to post this as I haven't been around for awhile but my question is, Are we as a species, de-evolving?

http://www.akitarescuewny.com/welcome.htm
    I cannot believe this one.

Britain
  • Jessica, VERY good writeup of rescue.
    Thank you, Britain
  • Dont think you must be all-in super heroic to help, either- I do home visits for Sage's rescue group, Great Dog Rescue New England, when they have an adopter from my region. It doesnt feel like very much work to me, compared to what some people do but it's a part I can play and saves people a long drive out to do visits, makes it easier to get dogs and people connected, even when they are not convenient to population centers.
  • The ARWNY has stories that just break my heart--there was another once about a girl Akita how had been shot and stabbed. And feeding the pups to Alligators? Ugh. It really does make me just hate people sometimes. What is wrong with people?

• I don't know..... it makes me sick sometimes that I'm part of the human race sometimes. People who do that are sick, disgusting, pieces of $H*T. They make me want to find them and treat them the way they treated the poor dog or cat.
  • Providence Animal Shelter always has the prettiest dogs. I think a lot of it has to do with the photos they have... all the pictures show the dogs' current happiness very well.

Do you know if a shelter will take donations of used Kuranda beds? Sometimes the dogs will break the cots at work and instead of getting the replacement parts, my boss will just order new ones and throw the old ones away or toss them into the back hall. It seems like a waste if someone can just order the parts to fix them.
  • One of the most regular volunteers at Providence Animal Control is Traer Scott http://www.traerscott.com/ Kind of handy to have her around if you want pretty pictures of puppies.

I know most of the shelters I work with would take them if they had been repaired. But generally they work on such a skeleton crew and with absolutely no money they wouldn't be able to refurb them themselves.
  • Shadow was my rescue pup. I came across her at a car show in Michigan. She had been wandering the streets and neighbors had been feeding her. I think she was raiding trash cans too, she demonstrated a real weakness for butter wrappers. This lady walked up to me and asked me if I knew of anyone who could give this sweet dog a home. She said her boyfriend would take it to the humane society if she didn’t find it a home today.
    Well, I had just fixed my fence and put a new gate across the driveway. I was looking for a dog. I looked this one over.
    She was beautiful, red brindle with one floppy ear and a tail so tightly curled over her back. We were right in front of a booth for Leader Dogs For The Blind. I went over and asked if a vet could come over and look at this dog I was thinking of adopting. They came over right away! He said he wasn’t sure of the breed, but she looked healthy though malnourished. Said she looked about 6 months old. I would do well with this dog. The lady even offered to pay for her shots. I declined the shots, but asked if I could keep the collar & leash. She was so happy that I took the pup.
    Well, I was the one rescued. Little did I know I would go through some tough times, lonely times, and Shadow would be right there with me. She was the best friend, best dog I have ever known. She was so smart; she seemed to know what I was thinking and was so intuitive. She only wanted to please everyone. She always wanted to make new friends, dogs and people. Seemed like everyone who met her, remembered her.
    Well, Shadow died of cancer last month. I thought I could run out and adopt another dog. I looked around, called shelters, hugged a lot of puppies. But, I wasn’t quite ready.
    I would love another Kai-Ken, but I think I will wait. I will let my next dog find me. I understand and appreciate all the Nihon-Ken folks are doing to protect and grow these wonderful breeds. But, I have found in my life that a “Free” dog is a gift from heaven.
  • Davo, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your Shadow. Cancer is really hard....I lost my GSD (also a rescue) to it about this time last year. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.