2011 Nippo Classic

Comments

• Neat! Thanks for sharing!
  • Thanks Marsha! I hope Stacey took pics of Tora.
  • @kaikenone Who is that male Kai on the second to last row on the right? He is one good looking dog.
  • Great photos. One of these days I hope I can attend one.
  • @tjbart17 - If you are asking about the Kai in the link that Ann posted, I believe that's Cindy's KKA import.

----
  • That is a nice looking Kai.
  • @brada1878 Thanks. I have a feeling he stole the show. I wonder where he placed?
  • @tjbart17 - He placed BoB and some other title that I don't understand.

----
  • @brada1878 LOL

I'm actually pretty amazed that the breed standard only calls for a straight back. Kais have pretty poor angulation in the rear.
  • He was BOB and reserve supreme. All the best of breed winners compete for supreme and reserve supreme award. He is not a bad dog to look at in a photo, but I did not care for him in person. I had Tora and Kuma there, but did not show. Tora is taking a break from the ring for awhile, but she did enjoy going and just hanging out with everyone.
  • @sjp051993 Is Tora having puppies?

He's got a good face, but IMO his back is high at the rear. I wouldn't have thought he would take reserve supreme. I also find his legs to be really straight. His angulation is so straight, that I would worry about his tendons as he gets older.

Just my opinion. I don't want to put him down. With the first look, I knew the judges would love him.
  • Well, the judge withheld BOB from the shikoku and the akita, so that just left him the shiba and kai. There were just 2 adult kai this year. Player and cindy's new boy. I think player is a little too large for alot of the Nippo judges.

As for Cindy's dog, there were several things I was not too keen on. For one is temperment was terrible. He was constantly trying to start something with all the dogs around. He was very aggressive during the exam (although the Nippo judges love that). Confirmation wise, he just did not do much for me. He is smaller than my tora, and his build is just not up to standard. I guess I am really hard on him after seeing the quality of dogs that Brad has imported. Peggy brought Tora with her on Friday and he just took my breath away. He was a little shy at first, but him build and natural stance was just incredible.
  • @sjp051993 @brada1878 Yeah Brad and Jen's dogs raise the bar for all the other Kai. I didn't meet Tora, but Nio and Ritsu are amazing too.

Hey Brad did Ritsu's ears come up? I would love to show him.
  • I am going to see how he matures before forming my final opinion of him. His disposition right now is a real stopper for me.
  • @tjbart17- yes , I beleive that is Cindy's dog DON, although I could not stay for Saturday so Stacey knows much more about it... Don was thin and blew his coat, I saw about 3 weeks ago and he was much nicer looking in full coat. Cindy said she is having a hard time getting weight on him. He hasn't filled out yet and still has a puppy look to him I think. I think e could use a little more angulation in the rear. I believe his temperament is exactly what a Nippo judge would want as far as toward other dogs, he was very gamey (sp?) I am not going to totally discount him yet ... he did not act like that at my house, Cindy said Don and somebody got into it and he has been aggitated since.

Tora definitely is very nice, although somewhat more aloof then he was when he visit my house about 3 months ago. Peggy only entered in him Evaluation only on Friday so he did not compete Saturday.

Peggy brought her 2 boy pups and I brought the third one from the litter and we had them evaluated... the judge liked them and said they were very uniform.He liked Peggy's pick first adn then my pick and then the both of our last pick. I will see about getting her to post some pics of them to make it easier.
  • @sjp051993- was he aggressive toward the judge or just the other male? Not really worried about the dog aggression, but people aggression or fear aggression is not cool. Although Treasure had fear aggression and with lots of work and classes we were able to get him past it and he managed to acquire his UKC Grand Championship.
  • @sjp051993 - Oh, cool, you got to meet Peggy's Tora! I've said this a lot, but I'll say it again, I think he's one of the best (if not the best) looking males we've imported. Tora is awesome.

The shyness is a surprise tho, Ayu (full sister) is not shy at all. I was frustrated when Peggy reported to me that she was having issues with his shyness - I hope he will grow out of it.

@tjbart17 - Thanks for the compliments. :o)

Ritsu's ears are up! They are kinda in that strange phase just after they finally lift - where they're kinda soft and wavy... but they are up! In a month or so I expect his ears to look normal. We took him hiking this weekend and I got some pics of him - I'll post them later. He's super handsome, he and Tora are very similar in looks, I think they tie for the "best looking male import" for me... with Tyson a very close 2nd.

----
  • Pam's Kai puppy "puzzle" took the best award in the females and puzzles sister, Yume took the second award and Pinky (from Rita,I really have to get a name for her) took the third award, (Sorry I am not that familar with the proper names of awards in Nippo).
    And Rita's male puppy took the Best male puppy award...
  • He was very aggressive toward the judge and the akc assistant when they were trying to wicket and check his teeth. He was aggressive toward all dogs (male, female, puppy) He went after my Tora while we were just sitting and watching.
  • Tora the male was great. He was a little shy, but started to come around to me once he settled down a little. I wish she had brought Chibi as well, but had her hands full with Tora and the 3 male pups.
  • chibi's cute...sooo cute.
  • I love Chibi.
  • Sounds like Don was really pushed past his threshold when he got into it with another dog and then never had a chance to go back down? If this is his first show, it's plausible that everything would set him off then. If not, I would be asking when his thyroid was last checked.

It'll be interesting to see additional pictures of Don. A single picture can be so deceiving. He could be slightly twisted and not be showing a true side view. His topline may also be thrown off by the combination of a blown coat + tense shoulders/hackling.
  • Some more pics by Lynda:

http://lyndabeam.zenfolio.com/f342280818

The Kai pups start on pg. 9.
  • LoL, if you click through these pics at the right speed, it's like watching a video
  • Haha, Beth, you are so right.
  • what's up with the jam jar the judge is holding? Is that the trophy for (p)"reserve"? Haaaa...okay I keeed.

Jesse
  • @CrimsonO2- the trophys are awesome. they were all etched glassware and jars... totally cool, they were done by Kuma's Custom Gear. @sjp051993-whats the website?

that reminds me I have to get mine out of the car?
  • great pics, very nice looking dogs too :)

congrats on a good show