Question about NIPPO registration and kennel names

Is it possible to register puppies to NIPPO that have a sire that is NIPPO registered and a dam that is not? I've already been told that my female can't be register because she's to old. I have a feeling this is more a @thewalrus question, but anyone else experience something like this?

For those of you with Japanese kennel names, how did you come up with the name and was it for specific reason or personal reason of the name?

Comments

• No, you can't register a pup with NIPPO who is not from NIPPO registered parents.

NIPPO does have some type of limited registration thing, but I don't think it accepts very many (or any) foreign registries.

Can I ask, what are you trying to accomplish? Why do you want NIPPO reg? You would have more luck getting a NIPPO dog registered with a different org.
  • As for kennel names, ours has a lot of personal reasons (meanings) behind it.
  • @brad1878 - Well I'm in the process of breeding my female shiba, right now. I was told that it was possible if one of the parents were NIPPO registered. Why I would like them NIPPO register is because I would like to compete in the Beikoku show in LA. Right now that's one of the main things the NIPPO registered would be needed. Later I might import.

For the kennel name, does it need to be Japanese name for Nihon ken orgnizations ( like NIPPO, KKA)?
  • Well, I could be wrong... perhaps that falls under the restricted registration thing. I'll wait for Shigeru to respond since he knows more about this than me.
  • Yeah, I've heard so many things, so I figured someone here might know.
  • edited January 2013
    ######################### Some of the information in this reply is unclear/incorrect. A complete version can be found here http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8244/nippo-registration-membershiplittersdogskennels#Item_1

@renae

"Is it possible to register puppies to NIPPO that have a sire that is NIPPO registered and a dam that is not?"

Short answer, yes. There are of course stipulations. First, there are three methods of registration: Litter, single, and limited (also known as pre-registration). A stipulation for registrations is that the animal is under 1 year old.

To register a litter (full registration) it must be produced by A)grand sire/dam, and sire/dam of the same NK type/breed, B)dogs registered with a NK only registry, C)a dam with a full NIPPO registration, and a sire from a registry as stipulated in B).

To register a single dog it must be produced by A)grand sire/dam, and sire/dam registered with a NK only registry.

Limited registration if A)grand sire/dam, and sire/dam registered with a registry that is not NK inclusive, B)a NIPPO registered dog is among the dogs in A).

"For the kennel name, does it need to be Japanese name for Nihon ken orgnizations ( like NIPPO, KKA)?"

Kennel and dog names do not have to be in Japanese, but need to be a maximum of 5 characters (kanji/katakana/hiragana). Dog names should also make the dog's sex clear.

I'll add here that you'll have to contact NIPPO and ask them about which registries they'll recognize, and that most of the NK registries reserve the right to refuse name/kennel registrations if they don't believe they are appropriate.
  • Shigs, @TheWalrus

Maybe you can help me with this also, so I understand correctly.

If I breed a NIPPO sire to my AKC bitch, who is herself from a NIPPO sire and AKC dam (that is sired by a NIPPO stud and AKC dam, who is also sired the same way and so on), I would first have to register all the AKC dams going back with NIPPO in order to get full registration for the bitch and litter?
  • edited January 2013
    ######################### Some of the information in this reply is unclear/incorrect. A complete version can be found here http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8244/nippo-registration-membershiplittersdogskennels#Item_1

Well in that scenario you wouldn't be able to get full registration since the AKC dams would be over a year old. You should be able to get limited registration for the litter.

Third generation progeny of limited registration dogs can receive full NIPPO registration.

###################### The correct reply according to NIPPO HQ today seems to be that you may have to go all the way up the line and register the dams with NIPPO. It's a case by case basis since NIPPO doesn't recognize AKC pedigrees.
  • Thanks! Can dogs with limited registration show in NIPPO events?
  • Yes, you can show on a limited registration.

At the moment there are several registries that NIPPO recognizes, and will give limited registrations to, with only one being overseas (Taiwan or China I believe).
  • Now can the AKC dam at 2yrs old get a limited registration? Or it will only work for the litter?
  • edited January 2013

Any dog over 1 year old cannot be entered into NIPPO's registry.

########################## Single dog registrations do not have a time limit. 2013/01/31
  • What is the difference between full and limited registration? I know with AKC, limited registration means that the dog can't be shown and any litters will not be allowed to register (but the pups can be given limited registration). Though from what is being said about NIPPO, you can still show and breed a dog with limited registration, so I don't understand what the difference would be between limited and full.
  • Now to do this would you have to become a member of NIPPO in order to register? Thanks for your help Shigeru!
  • @Calia as far as I know there's not too much difference in what you can do with a full and limited registration, though on the limited registration it only shows the last 3 generations as opposed to 5. Also the JKC doesn't accept limited NIPPO registrations, only full registrations, so that's a bit of a sticky point as well.

@renae yes, you need to become a NIPPO member in order to register dogs in your name, and you will also need to register your kennel if you plan to register litters.