Pair bonding

edited February 2013 in General
While I have read about bonded pairs of dogs- usually rescues that need to be adopted together, or photos of people's two dogs curled up on the couch- I have not experienced this among my dogs, but I think Juno and Matsu are bonding up rather closely, so I wanted to hear about others who have seen this. Reilly and Sage are not a pair- they are housemates and playmates, but they'd never share the couch or groom. Rei is very aloof-I mean when I was learning about NK and that they were 'aloof' I thought, geez, how much more aloof can a dog be? I wondered if poor Sage was spurned too much by her, as there were dogs at the field in his younger days that he'd be quite affectionate with- his favorites were a rather fluffy golden retriever and my sister's yellow labrador, pictured below with a young Sage who wanted to cuddle up on the dog bed with her...

photo sageandcleo_zpsc5371fcd.jpg

I offer this not to suggest that Sage was bonded to the lab, but that he once had a capacity for comfort seeking with other dogs. As a pup. He's probably 5 mo old in that shot. Maybe pups are like that. He still loves Cleo on the rare times he gets to see her, but they dont snuggle anymore.

That just doesnt happen with Reilly. She wont share the couch with anyone- even humans- she'll just leave. And its not that she isnt affectionate sometimes, she can be wiggly and wags her tail a lot, even on rare occasions she will be silly and kissy, but overall she is a very serious, businesslike dog. She donest give anything away!

Juno was very affectionate to Sage and he likes her, too- and they play and nibble groom, but dont relax on a bed together. Matsu however- being a simple happy guy, close to her age, and FWIW (if anything) not only the same breed but her cousin- adores Juno and they play as well as groom each other and will nap right against each other- Juno even tucked herself into his crate one night with him! This is completely new to dogs I have owned...but I think its adorable :)

Tell me about your pair bonded dogs: how did their relationship grow? how would you define a bonded pair of dogs? what interesting have you noticed with pairs of dogs like that?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Interesting subject, though it makes me kind of sad, just because of my experience.

I thought Toby and Bel (Shibas) were well on their way to being pair-bonded. They are two years apart in age. Toby never cared that much about her--he's never really liked other dogs. But she LOVED him. She always wanted to be laying near him. She followed him around. Outside, they'd run, shoulder to shoulder, looking in the same direction at the same time as if they practiced it.

But he bullied her terribly. and then she was two, and tried to kill him, and nearly did. And that was that. He's terrified of all dogs now, and she'd still kill him if she could--nearly 5 years later.

But she's always shown a need to be with other dogs, perhaps because she is a mill dog, and had little interaction with people (who still scare her) but was around a lot of dogs. (This mill wasn't the worst of the worst, and it looked like they kept a lot of dogs in kennels and let the puppies and young ones run in a huge puppy pen, so the puppies, of a variety of different breeds, were all together). She loves puppies, and always has been a good "foster mom" to Oskar (AA), and then to Leo (Kai Ken).

She "loves" Leo. (which I put in quotation marks because who knows what love is to a dog? But it's what we call it when we watch them and see how much they like to be together). She got over some of her enthusiasm for Oskar as he got so much bigger than her, and he resource guards, and he's bit her when he wasn't feeling good, and so after their squabbles, she's cautious with him. But Leo, of course, is a Kai Ken, not an Akita or Shiba. And he's a huge peacemaker--his reaction to any scuffle is to roll over on his back and wiggle. So he's an easy dog for her to deal with. She will follow him around and groom him (for hours if we didn't intervene). And he loves her. He can't stand to not be near her. he lays down next to her, with always a part of him touching her (he would lay ON her if he could, and she'll tolerate his head on her, but she gets annoyed when he tries to flop his whole body on her!)

It's just clear that they really like being together.

It makes me sad, though, because Bel is so unpredictable. Mostly she's wonderful with him. But she's got all her issues--epilepsy and a generally unstable temperament, and she goes from play to murderous in a blink of an eye. She often engages Leo in play, but if it gets too exciting, I can see her go from playful to really aggressive so fast. We have to intervene and calm her down quite often. He doesn't seem to care, but I know she's dangerous, so we really watch them. And it's sad because...she's not healthy....and not a month goes by that I don't think....is this when we have to make the hard decision with her? Her kidneys are failing (and then they get better). She has a bad seizure and we wonder. Or she attacks another dog, and we think....how long are we going to keep doing this? (I do know this--if she ever hurts Leo, she's done. I don't think she would, but sometimes....sometimes she doesn't know what is going on--she's just in fight mode). Now, I've noticed, she struggling to get up--her rear leg is failing (not the one we had surgery on, but the other one). Everytime we're in for another health crisis with her, the vet asks me, gently, if I'm willing to spend the money with her this time. We all know it's coming to the point I won't, and as he said once, well, she could go any day. Or she could live another 10 years and continue to cause trouble. There's no way to tell.

But Leo loves her. And he will be devastated when she's gone. Already, if I take her someplace (rarely) and leave him, my husband said he's agitated, looking for her. She won't settle if I take Leo someplace and leave her.

Pairbonded? If not yet, then they are leaning toward it.

(sorry this is so long...it just did strike a nerve, because I've been noticing it with them, and it makes me sad).
  • Very sad @shibamistress.

I'd say mine are but its kind of uneven. Saru is very independent, so he will ignore Ciqala leaving her chasing him around the house trying to lay down with him. I usually wake up to find them balled up in a corner together. However when Saru wants to play there's a 50/50 chance Ciqala isn't up for it and shows teeth. They usually have morning make out sessions... i'm not sure why- maybe it's to capture each others morning breath? but it always wakes me up. It does make it a breeze for coping with change and my absence since they can seek out each other for comfort and not have to rely solely on me.
  • My pup Arkane (14 weeks) is very attached to my boy Nare (almost 3 years)..
    Arkane is in puppy classes at Petsmart, and when hes there by himself he is kind of lifeless.. Take Nare in there and hes bouncing around with endless energy. Maybe its because he knows that Nare will back him up, but there is something there.. Nare doesn't like it when dogs lay on him, but he will curl around Arkane or rest his head on/near him.

text
  • Our pack dynamics are really really great right now... but I do notice that the Kai really bond together and are a team, and while Mirra is most def. a huge part of the pack she is more of the "mama" figure and Kitora and Kunai the "pair". I don't know if it is age difference between Mirra and the Kai, or size difference - or just that Kai in general are drawn to each other. I have seen Ki and Kunai curled on the same bed together, but not always... the nights Jason works I have all 3 on the bed with me and we all sleep together (that is until I unintentionally kick some one off, lol) Kitora is a funny dog though - We haven't found anything, and I mean ANYTHING that makes her "grumpy" so to speak (her temperament is one that is very unique to me, I haven't ever run across anything like her - saying that in the most complimentary way to her - but not at all bad about the others, understandably) I think that Kitora's unbothered demeanor may be a diffuser for things that might set other dogs off?? Mirra will sleep closer to Kitora than she has any other dog ever (same couch/on the bed etc) She is much more affectionate with the Kai than she ever was with Saydee in regards to muzzle kisses, ear cleaning and asking for play... and Kitora never really reacts to Kunai's resource guarding....They just all like being together. They are a happy pack.

And btw @wrylybrindle - CUTE cute Sage puppy pick!!!!
  • @carabooA what genders are your three dogs? And how did you decide what gender/breed the third dog would be? I wanna have three dogs that all get along :)
  • Tora and Kuma are bonded very close. I think alot of that was the situation we were in. I was in a bad relationship and those 2 dogs were pretty much the only thing that kept me safe. I can see that Kazue and Ritsu are forming a strong bond as well. Hiro on the other hand has never really bonded to any of the other dogs. He gets along with the females, and is buddies with Ritsu most of the time. Tora and Kazue are also bonded closely, but I have to expect that as they are mother and daughter.
  • @CarabooA I'll put up some more Sage puppy pics when its his birthday in March. He was so scrawny, and now he's so burly. :) He'll be 7 years old this year, and for whatever reason, a greybeard.

• Koda and Mika are very bonded. From the start, Koda took the role of Mika's watcher and protector. He is very sensitive towards how she feels and has always been her strength and comfort.

They are very physically affectionate and can be seen literally making out daily. Mika loves cuddling with her Koda. It really is so sweet to see them together. They have never disagreed on anything and Koda is a happier dog with her here.
  • I always figured it's similar to human children in that in certain early stages they are more capable of forming strong bonds. my kai is bonded to me but is still good friends with almost any dog he's met. I think the bond makes him better off leash which is important for hunting, which is still a work in progress due to time lately. when I get the next pup, hhopefully a male kishu, I plan to not let them bond right away, only play together daily and sleep separately for a while. I'm hoping by doing it this way it will allow the second dog to have as strong of a bond as I have with Toshi. they will bond overtime anyway but I think that initial bond as a puppy is pretty crucial, particularly for hunting. I'm no expert but this is how I see it from my experience so far.
  • @wrylybrindle - I would love to see more cute baby sage!!! yay! :) Mirra is almost 6.5 and she too has whitened in her face a lot!!! She almost has a white husky mask these days... weird... :)

@jellyfart - Warning - you'll get me babbling here!! lol ;)

Well, at the beginning of this summer we had Mirra and Saydee (Saydee was a german shepard/dobie mix we *think*). Saydee was 2-3 years older than Mirra, both of them were female - they got along well as Mirra was the pup brought in over 6 years ago and was raised with Saydee, but Saydee was starting to mentally be "off" the last couple of years with some other physical issues as well. Saydee never really cared about much in life except Jason and food, so she didn't really care one way or another, that we could tell, about the new additions. Mirra was the one I was concerned about regarding bringing in new addtions as in her past we had had conflicts with other dogs... turns out it was only because she was more feral in her play style (the husky part of her) and the dogs she was having issues with either wanted to control her actions (herding dogs) or were intimidated by her playing style. When we saw how the Kai play naturally we said, "Ah! That is exactly how Mirra plays, maybe (hopefully) this will work" That combined with the fact that we had learned that Kai's, generally speaking, really understand "dog rules" we thought it would be a good fit. We figured the Kai would be a good fit for us as a family so, we went from there.

Kitora (female) and Ritsu (male) came to us together as new additions, but Ritsu needed to go back to Yamabushi, nothing to do with him being male - just for his safety with the older Kai placement issues that we've all read about. He got along really well with our existing dogs also - I was so tickled to see Mirra play with him as well as Kitora the new female pup. So after Ritsu went back, we had the 3 girls until Kunai came along...(male) Later, we had to make the hard decision to put Saydee down so now it is Mirra (female) Kitora (female) and Kunai (male, came to us last)

I think we just more went on the temperament/type of the dog breeds and didn't worry too much about the sex of the dogs (I know that sometimes that can play a part though for some people) Kunai however, does know that he is the only "dude" and he is a little extra bossy, lol. No offence men (Brad says Kumi can be that way too), lol... he does take advantage of his testosterone though, but I think Kitora's attitude of "no worries, man" diffuses some of his bossiness! lol They did get into one fight over a month ago, and 3 times Kitora tried to walk away from it (I was suuuper proud of her for trying to avoid the conflict as I was waddle running my pregnant self from the barn to try to get into the back yard to help, lol), but I think lil Kuners was having a testosterone moment and just couldn't let it go... Oh, and around the exact same time, he lit into her when she came back into the house after Jason took her out to do chores for some one on one with Jason, those two times and it hasn't threatened to happen since, thankfully. I personally think he was having a hormone flux that amplified the scenario. Those were isolated incidents. He doesn't even try that stuff with Mirra for whatever his reasons.

One other thing that helps our household I think, is our expectations. We allow for each dog to "be themselves" ie: Mirra gets her space at night to rest and recoup her joints if she wants, we have it set up so Kunai doesn't have to worry about anyone stealing his breakfast or dinner (but he still does growl sometimes and receives a "hey there, that's enough" from one of us - so we still try to temper those kind of actions from him) and Ki, well... we don't really have to do anything "special" for Kitora, other than enforce that Kunai isn't allowed to boss her around, lol. She's just always happy. But there are guidelines on how everyone is to treat each other -if you're grumpy - you go to time out (Kunai had a big time out in the back yard by himself after he started the fight with Ki and he wasn't too thrilled with that, we brought her in and looked her over, gave extra loving to her etc...), or are ignored and whoever you were being grumpy to gets the attention from us... or if Mirra seems extra sore we tell her to go to bed to rest. We have had to implement very little of this as of late as Kunai is very smart and catches on very quickly. And, out of doggie "respect" the Kai don't really bug Mirra too bad when she's napping (her arthritis makes her grumps a lot at the end of the day, nothing bad, she just expresses through a short growl that she wants to sleep and not be bothered)... if Mirra is laying by the front of the couch which leads into the living room, they will actually jump over the back of the couch or go all the way around, and she's never even laid into them about it, just a discomfort growl - but she doesn't snap at or ever connect with them, they just give her the berth she needs to be comfortable at that time of day.... For the rest of the day she will initiate play with both of the Kai. For whatever reasons, she really really has taken to all 3 Kai that she has met.

So, long into short - for us I think it's two things really... picking the breed that best fits in with our family dynamics (the Kai and I love Mirra's husky/collie mix) and also our expectations of how we all treat each other and enforcing those expectations in a healthy way that allows the dogs to thrive with each of their own temperaments and needs.
  • @CarabooA it's not a man thing. His sister is the same way. She punks Mei. Usually she growls and gets snarky when Mei overly enthusiastically greets us at the door. Mei gets so butt hurt. She loves the puppy who can be mean to her sometimes.
  • Speaking to what @Mike283 is saying: I wondered if Matsu would bond enough to me, what with being 1 of 4 and me not being able to take him to work veyr much at all like I did with Juno, but I am pleased to say that while he is very bonded to Juno, his connection to me -especially in the woods- overrides his attachment to her. I didnt do anything special to manufacture this. He will follow and watch Juno hunting in her orbit around me, but he sticks by me and looks to me. We recently went to a part of the woods MAtsu had never been, and bushwhacked our way from point A toward B, but our shortcut (ha!) took me through dense balasam stand in a wetland I forgot about, and Matsu didnt balk, and he didnt follow Juno who picks her own way through the brush- if I went left around a tree, he was right by me going left, if I trusted a patch of ice to hold me he did too. He watched me test ice, duck branches and chose where to cross over a blowdown, he went over the stone wall where I went over the wall. Back in famailiar surrounds, but faced with the challenge of crossing a stream which had sketchy ice, he would range further from me, but folowed my directions at a distance if I thought he was headed for thin spots- him and Juno both recalled when asked and trusted when asked. You can (will!) have a terrific bond with each dog in a multi dog situation :) naturally and without bending yourself into a pretzel. Even with NK :) (well I guess I can only speak for kai)

To what @CarabooA is saying:
    our expectations. We allow for each dog to "be themselves" ie: Mirra gets her space at night to rest and recoup her joints if she wants, we have it set up so Kunai doesn't have to worry about anyone stealing his breakfast or dinner
    we do this too- we have some similar dogkeeping!

and @tjbart17 Matsu and Juno are ever kissing and grooming and playing. While I think I am Juno's first thought when she wakes up in the morning- she sleeps curled up in my legs- Matsu is her very next thought and after she gives me morning kai kisses wake up call, she goes to Matsu's crate and bows and wiggles and paws his door and looks to me to let her cousin out. He also will curl and lean and greet me first, but then its right on to nibbling Juno's neck...They dont do this to the big dogs, Although Juno and Matsu will lick Sage's mouth and nibble his mane, but not nearly as much as each other.

• @Hinata23- Goro and ChoCho are super bonded- the are a good example. Were they like that from the get go and how do you feel Cho Cho is with and without Goro? or pre- Goro vs with him?
  • Bella is 7yrs Suki's junior and when she isn't being a PITA to him, she is snuggling or grooming him. Perhaps because she was an only pup she has attached more rapidly?
  • edited February 2013
    @WrylyBrindle Oh gosh, yes! Chocho and Goro were inseparable from day 1! Goro needed to be everywhere ChoCho was and ChoCho shared everything with him. Chews, bed, crate, food... everything he wanted she was more than happy to share with him. Goro freaks out when they're separated. ChoCho whimpers when he's in a crate and she's out and continues to whimper until we let him out. They also can't stand being separated by a doggy door even if we're each with one of them. Goro will bit the doggy door to free ChoCho and she licks him while whimpering from the otherside... LOL they are a bit pathetic when they do this. It's pretty funny to watch. Reminds us of a sappy movie about forbidden love!

ChoCho was very shy and reserved before Goro, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that we dragged her from New Mexico and away from her 20 dog pack! She opened up more with Goro and I think that thanks to having him she was able to deal with her flight to Florida, being in Miami with new people for 4 months, and our move to Orlando. I can't imagine them without each other. It's always Goro and ChoCho. Together. It's weird to think of them apart.

IMG_2710
    -Wanting to always nap with ChoCho. This was taken May 9th. We picked up Goro May 7th. (Goro: 8 weeks)

IMG_2784
    -Another nap with ChoCho. Look how much he grew in a week! (Goro: 9.5 weeks)

IMG_2921
    -Caught Goro wanting to chew his bone at 4 am next too ChoCho (Goro: 12 weeks)

IMG_2970
    -Wanting to do tricks together :) (Goro: 13 weeks)

IMG_0063
    -Sharing a corn lol (Goro:4 months)

-IMG_0177
    -(Goro: 4 months)

IMG_0046

IMG_0026

IMG_0372
    -Chewing on his bone while laying on top of ChoCho (Goro: 5 months)

IMG_0582
    -(Goro: 5 months)

IMG_0976
    -ChoCho sits on his face and he doesn't care! (Goro: 8 months)

IMG_0002_2
    -(Goro 9: months)

IMG_1299
    -Partners in crime! (Goro: 9.5 months)

• edited February 2013
    I love those two... excellent pictures! their relationship really comes thru in these shots :)
  • The one where they are sleeping with all their paws entwined is so cute Disney needs it. @hinata23 can you video them trying to free each other?
  • Juneau and Sasha for sure. Poor Conker is like a broken third wheel in this relationship.
  • @cdenney lol I'll try to catch it on video! :)
  • I love this thread! Puppy love is so wonderful - What would a world be like without our NK? :x

The pictures are fabulous!!!
  • @tjbart17 - it just amazes me how similar these pups can be! I wonder how Kunai and Mika would act toward each other if they ever get to meet, lol. Kunai is very much "me first" he'll even wait to eat one of his treats just so he can stand guard over it... dude, if it was in your belly already, you wouldn't have to guard it!!!! LOL Ki gets really butt hurt too - she's learned to walk in behind us if we've taken her solo - and then what I do is call her over for a sit/stay give her a treat and then call Kunai for a sit/stay right beside her and he gets a treat, theorizing that if every time she comes in from solo time he gets a treat maybe he'll look forward to it more... ??? Sorry - bunny trail... lol no hijacking intended!!! :D
  • edited February 2013
    @tjbart17 - it just amazes me how similar these pups can be! I wonder how Kunai and Mika would act toward each other if they ever get to meet, lol. Kunai is very much "me first" he'll even wait to eat one of his treats just so he can stand guard over it... dude, if it was in your belly already, you wouldn't have to guard it!!!! LOL
    @CarabooA Mika eats her treat first so she can steal Koda's after. I'm sure they would get along great. They probably hold a lot of the same social rules. Mika is a very friendly and outgoing puppy. She can just be.....how did Brad say it....oh yes, Gritty. lol

• lol, yes - griiiiiiiiiiiitty hahahaha @tjbart17
  • @carabooA Thanks for the response. Sounds like I just need to find a dog toki will get along with. His two best friends are neutered males, both which are really easy going and avoid conflict. But having said that, Toki tries to play with all sorts of dogs, regardless of personality. Toki just tries to listen and will back off if a dog doesnt seem interested or seems annoyed. I think he is very conpatible with other dogs. And then there is Zuma. His sister. They play rough like siblings and she doesnt have a problem telling him back off, but he respects her and vise versa. So yea, from your story, it sounds more like a personality thing rather than a gender thing.
  • @jellyfart My recommendation for an Akita -- second dog should be the opposite gender of the first. Third dog should be the same gender as whichever of the two dogs gets along BEST with other dogs.
  • @poeticdragon Oh def. That's already decided itll be a girl.
    Im just wondering what the third'll be ;P