Kai Ken in CA (San Bernardino County) in need of foster/adopter

edited February 2013 in Rescue
As per a Northern California Shiba Rescue Facebook post, shared on behalf of Animal Friends Rescue, there is a Kai Ken who must be placed in a foster or permanent home within the next few days or she will be taken to a kill shelter. Here is the Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=498545163524976&set=a.342825122430315.79485.176920042354158&type=1&theater

"Zooey...Japanese Kai...female, not spayed, 3 years old, 40lbs, good with kids and other animals...really sweet and gentle."

Sue Trapp
Animal Friends Rescue Project
831-601-3350 cell
www.animalfriendsrescue.org

Please contact them if you can help.

Comments

• This is located in San Bernadino, quite near from where I live. I can help with transportation and whatnot but I will not be able to foster her.
  • edited February 2013
    Just spoke to Sue. We have an interested Kai owner up here in milbrae. Also another forum member in Washington!

She's going to keep me posted.

FYI Zooey is going to be euthanized by her owners rather than being put in a shelter. Her owners said it would be more humane.

She will get spayed by the rescue before she is handed off.

I'll keep everyone posted. I may be driving down south this weekend if they need me.
  • Wow! That is sad. :( I'm glad there is potential adopters waiting.
  • If either of those don't pan out I may be interested. I have family in Newport Beach that could watch the dog until they could get her out to Texas. Only problem I may have is that both my dogs are female. I dont know if it would be wise to add a third female to the group.
  • Her owners said it would be more humane to euthanize her than to find another home her for her? I mean, if she had some serious health issues, I could see it, but otherwise, that is just crap.

Poor girl! I hope she gets a home!
  • Wait, I thought she was a loving and sweet girl? Why will she be euthanized?

Do you know who the breeder is?
  • My guess is that their perception of a shelter is an ugly one. I've visited some that were smelly, damp, perpetually noisy, and overcrowded. Dog fights occur, too.

If you add in how some dogs become overwhelmed at the shelter to the point of snapping (ie. think of a Kai being restrained by a shelter vet) and how black dogs are not favored for pulling, it would be more of a mercy to euthanize than send a dog to a bad shelter.

Of course, it seems like the owner did skip some steps before coming to this point though. They could have tried a similar breed rescue. They could have tried to re-home on their own. They could have asked Kai breeders for help. etc.
  • I agree Saya would not like to be in a shelter she is OK with vet she likes them, but shelter is whole different thing so many strange dogs constantly barking.. :(

I wished owner would have contacted a rescue or tried a bit more before saying such things. I'm sure the breeder would helped find the dog a home.
  • edited February 2013
    My guess is that their perception of a shelter is an ugly one. I've visited some that were smelly, damp, perpetually noisy, and overcrowded. Dog fights occur, too.
    That's the impression I received that the owner couldn't bear to have her in the shelter nearby. I don't know what the story is, whether or not she tried to get in touch with the breeder etc. But I asked Sue to find out. She will be in direct contact with the owner.

Also keep in mind that we don't have a Kai rescue. If someone googled the term they would come up with nothing. I've sometimes wondered if we should start a site, but we have no real way of meeting all the needs.

@ayk The reason why this girl was so easy for me to get quick responses to is because she's a red brindle.
  • Any idea what the issues were that lead the owners to feel euthanasia was a good option?
  • @Lindsayt They are giving up three dogs due to financial problems. Zooey is the only Kai so she is the only one that Red sent me.
  • She should've put her up on Craigslist or something!! Find your dogs a home first before getting rid if them!
  • Even worse,this person wanted to euthanize the dog rather than find a home for them. :(
  • We don't know what they tried. I'm trying not to judge. We have to remember that we've built a community. If we weren't on here we would probably feel alone in our Kai ownership.

I haven't spoken to Sue again. I'll call to get a status update.
  • @tjbart17- Any updates from Sue on Zooey?
  • edited February 2013
    Great news. Zooey is in transport. She will be going to her new home on Monday pending that the current Kai's in the home are ok with her.

I have to say that rescues and shelters have this way of never knowing the story.

I spoke to Sue yesterday who was sure the other day that the owners were just going to euthanize Zooey. Then yesterday she said that Zooey was in a shelter and pulled. Zooey was already spayed but either the shelter or her owners didn't know? Really? I don't get that. I guess they looked through her paperwork and figured it out. So odd.

Also Sue started to say that the shelter has her as a Chow and she's a Chow not Kai. I tried to explain to her that none of our dogs can be registered as Kai's because none of the database's have that category. Koda is a shepherd mix due to his size and Mika is a Shiba mix.

So I called the shelter and they said that her paperwork does have Kai on it and they only did their intake as a Chow because they can't put her as Kai.

This lack of a category is actually getting on my nerves because it is difficult to look online for your dog when they become lost and because if our Kai's are put as Chows the. People don't want to adopt a dangerous breed. It's all so annoying to me.

I'm on a rant sorry. Lol.
  • Good to hear she was pulked, at least and will have a happy ending with any luck!

The database at my work has Kai and Kishu, but not Shikoku. I found that out when entering Takoda's info yesterday. We use a program called 'DataDawg'

I wonder how to get the breeds added to different databases. Who would you contact about that?
  • edited February 2013
    I'm talking about the state's database not an individual organization. This is animal services itself. They run on this 1994 version of FileMaker that won't allow volunteers to add categories therefore Kishu, Shikoku, and Kai are not on there.
  • edited February 2013
    I suspect that "Data Dawg" and Petfinders use the same categories. I just checked Kai (found 4) and Kishu (found 1) in Petfinders classified. Maybe contact Petfinders. Ask them to add the Shikoku and Hokkaido. (They may have Shikoku in the category listing; it just doesn't come up if there isn't a Shikoku in the data base.) Point out that these are recognized breeds.

@tjbart17- Will keep fingers crossed that Zooey has found a good home. ( If this doesn't work and Zooey is in Bay Area (CA), then maybe we can publicize her with the Bay Area and Sacramento Shiba Meetups. Let me know and I will do that if necessary. )
  • It's not petfinder or a website. It's the animal shelter's database. IF the dog is identified as a Kai like Zooey who was surrendered by her owners the staff at the animal shelter will categorize her as something like chow, husky, spitz, shiba, etc and post her online as a Kai. But in the shelter for people coming in she will be a chow.

If a dog is picked up by a shelter and the breed is unknown then the dog can be classified as anything.

I don't want to get into it but when Shakko was lost this made calling the shelter very difficult. He could've been classified as anything so volunteers didn't always want to help me.

This time it was annoying because the rescue up here was now categorizing Zooey as a Chow. If Zooey was just transferred to another no kill shelter she would've been put up for adoption as a chow. In my area that limits who would be willing to adopt her because of breed restrictions in rentals. It limits a dog's chance of getting adopted.

• Hmm. Understand the frustration with miscategorizing breeds.

Wonder if animal control directors need updated info on "unusual" breeds out there.
    Here is the link to the California Animal Control Directors Association:
    http://cacda.org/home/
  • @tjbart17 -- Have you gotten any updates on this girl???
  • Sorry I was terribly busy yesterday.

Zooey is in her new home. I'm going to take the pups over in a couple of weeks to have a little Kai play date.

I'll take some pics. From what her new owner says, she is a complete sweetheart!
  • Yay! This is so good to hear! Looking forward to Kai romping pictures.

(I hope the other two dogs also found homes...)
  • good to hear she found a home