Go-Ji: Jindo rescue in Alabama UPDATE: 3/4 (Pictures)

edited March 2014 in Rescue
I started the other thread before I picked him up and decided to start a thread for him now that he is home instead of editing the title of the other post.

I was told by the contact and the posts I saw about him that his name was Major but the owner (actually it was her ex-husband and he had him because she left the pup behind during the divorce) said they called him Boy or Dufus. So he really didn't have a name and I refuse to call him Dufus.... it just bothered me. So a volunteer that went with me came up with Go-ji and it stuck.

I brought Go-Ji home yesterday and I have to say this little guy is so easy to love! He is scared and reserved but is quickly coming around. He is terrified of door ways but will cross the threshold with coaxing (this is a huge improvement from when we arrived home!) He is terrified of eating/drinking out of bowls! I cannot figure out why but it's as if he thinks something negative will happen if he does it. (EDIT: Just came in and I finally got him to drink a little while we were walking outside in the fence!)

I contacted the vet that treated him last year (August 2012). I have a print out of the records from that visit. He is roughly 17 months old.
He went in with hair loss- Skin scrapes confirmed Demodex. Only 2 mites were found and were 'dying' so the vet determined that his system must be strong enough to handle this problem so decided to wait on treatment for the Demodex but did treat with antibiotics for the skin and hair loss. He had Giardia, tapeworms, and Coccidia. All of this was in the records. He was also a cryptorchid and was neutered. The records also says there was an extra testi. He was also Anemic. The vet stated that it was possible that it was from fleas but it was listed as undetermined cause.

He received no follow up care or treatment according to the vet and the owner confirmed.

My biggest concern at this point is his hips/back legs. He is extremely weak in the back end to the point of stumbling, swaying over and difficulty rising from a laying down position. My vet wants to see him early next week (allowing time for him to relax a little before we take him in).

Below are pictures of the sweet guy and I took pictures of the way he stands when he is focused on something. He rests his back left paw on top of the right paw but spreads his front legs wide to help balance.

Any thoughts?

On the way home
go-ji 8222013 2

His feet while standing still
goji legs 8232013 2

goji legs 8232013 1

Spreading the front legs for balance
goji 8232013 2

What a handsome boy!
goji 8232013 1

Comments

• He is very handsome. Great to hear that he's coming around.
  • With regards to the bowls, its possibly the type of bowl. My parents' boxer, Hilde, refuses to eat or drink from metal bowls. We think maybe the sound of her ID tags clinking against it bothers her. She has no problem with plastic or ceramic. Even if its not exactly the same scenario, maybe try a different type of bowl just to see if its all bowls or not.
  • @poeticdragon, thanks! I was trying different types of plastic bowls but the one that he finally drank a little from was a black rubber bowl meant for livestock. It's big but not deep. I put a plastic dog bowl next to it and he shied away from that bowl but drank from the rubber bowl.

• I'm not a fan of his name. I'm sure it's after the goji berry, but it's similar in sound to the Korean word for meat (gogi).

I'm glad to see that his eyes look better in these pics that in the original FB pic. The leg, though, I'm worried he got hit by a car and was never treated.
  • @ayk, that was the same thought we had about the legs/back end. I plan to get xrays when we go to the vet and I am hoping there will be something we can do to help him.

The name is actually something she made up (I had no idea it was similar to the Korean word for meat :( ). She took the word go because we had to go get him and combined it with the first 2 letters of Jindo and came up with Go-Ji lol
  • Maybe call him JinGo ... lol but perhaps that means something too :/
  • Djindo... "the D is silent" ;)
  • He kinda reminds me of fozzy bear. So sad about his legs. :(
    He is precious and looks like he is a big sweetie. :)
  • You mentioned his being terrified of doorways. When I first got Yoshi, he wouldn't cross it without someone giving him the ok. It may be some sort of respecting boundaries thing. Give him time and that'll go out the window once he knows where he stands.

• @WhiteGC8, he is doing better with the doors but I know it will be ok in time. He is so unsure of himself right now but as he gets settled he will come around. Thanks for the encouragement!

He likes that rubber bowl just fine so I guess that is now his water bowl lol I am going to get him a smaller one for food.

He came up to me earlier for a little pet and seemed happy to see me when I went down stairs later so he seems to be coming around a little, which is great. I expected it to take days for him to make this much progress.

So far he really is a sweet boy. He did bark for the first time today and it was more of a chuckling/howl sound... too cute lol
  • Speaking of the water bowl, Yoshi won't drink out of any other bowl except for the one at home. It's a bit of a pain in the butt since I constantly worry about him during our hikes. His bowl is one of those heavy ceramic ones so it's impractical to be lugging that thing around.

If/when he comes up and touches you, it may be a sign that he needs something. That's what my boy does when he's thirsty or needs to use the bathroom.
  • Ugh, this poor little guy. :( I hope everything turns out okay for him, but those back legs do look bad.
  • He's really handsome! I hope you figure out what is going on with his back legs.
  • He's super cool looking!
  • @Crispy, thanks! I am very worried about the back end/legs, too.

@shibamistress, thank you!

@Losech, that's the same thing my husband said :)

He has made a lot of progress today! We got his rabies shot today and he did so good! I was surprised at how well he handled all the stress. We had an episode with a GSD pup (It was the GSD's owner's fault for not having a handle on things and paying attention to what her dog was doing) and Go-Ji was super stressed by it but handled it better than I could have hoped. He did great in the car but was happy to be home! He is great on a leash and pays close attention to what I'm doing. He let me pet him all over today and I had to carry him through the pet store because the tile floor was too much for his legs and he had no problem with me picking him up. The vet let me hold him for his shot to keep his stress level down and that worked out well, too. This little fella is easy to love..... he looks at you with those sad eyes and gives you a nudge and I melt lol
  • ...so you're possibly keeping him?? :D
  • That nudge is dangerous! LOL
  • @cdenney, LOL I should have known you would be the one to start that ;) hahahahaha

@WhiteGC8, you aren't kidding! It is so cute though. Last night he was using his front paw to keep me from getting up and leaving the room. Every time I tried to stand up to walk away he would put a paw on me to keep me there. And then once I walked away he nudged me with his nose over and over until I turned around and gave him a scratch behind the ear lol
  • Yeah im about to be a failed foster for the shibes.
  • What did the vet say about his legs?

He sounds sweet!
  • edited August 2013
    @shibamistress, we are having xrays and blood work done this coming week. He is concerned about the legs but didn't want to speculate until he has taken xrays.

He really is sweet! I just spent about an hour brushing out his coat (it's pitiful and this is day 2 working on it!) and he ended up laying down and sleeping while I brushed... he was so relaxed!

@cdenney, I didn't know you were fostering- I must have missed a chapter! So you think yours is a keeper huh? LOL
  • Her owners might have to keep up their heavy travel schedule and dont think its fair to her to keep putting their elderly shiba with different people so they made a very tentative offer (well one half of the two did we haven't replied til we hear from everyone). But the shiba fits in well with Sachi and both are doing better with each other so maybe.
  • @Kuma123 Because he's got some difficulty getting around, I think he's trying to keep you close by so he can keep his eye on you. Yoshi pretty much follows me wherever I go so he can do that.
  • I am glad she has you and I hope it all works out for her! That's great that they get along so well and keep each other company.
  • He really enjoyed being brushed :D

enjoyin brushing- goji

He stood up got kind of in front of me sort of sideways and plopped down into my lap! It was an awesome moment!
    goji in my lap 8252013
  • I had a male Jindo who couldn't be bribed with food, but hold a brush in your hand and he was your instant friend. :)
  • @ayk That's hilarious. Mine's a total food whore!
  • I love his dracula widow's peak :)
  • @LoboSpam, so do I!

@ayk, (anyone with suggestions please chime in :) )any suggestions for curbing excessive barking? He started at about 3am and the only time he has stopped barking is when he is beside me. He barks in the yard when he's off leash, in the house when he is downstairs and I'm upstairs, when he is in the crate, etc. I've tried chewies, toys, bones- he doesn't touch them. Thanks in advance!
  • Does it look like full-blown separation anxiety?

If it's not separation anxiety, a citronella anti-bark collar might curb the barking.

If it's separation anxiety, the collar isn't an option and you'll have to be very proactive in countering separation anxiety. ie. DAP diffusers near the crate, behaviorial modifications (gradually increase visual separation), or/and even vet-prescribed medications like "Prozac", "Clomicalm", ace.

Sometimes being with another dog will ease the symptoms, but as soon as the other dog is gone, it re-starts.