Sadly need a new home for Japanese dogs

edited September 2013 in Rescue
Hello all. I have a shiba(f), Kai ken (m) and a Hokkaido (f). Sadly I am afraid I have to depart with them as I am going through a divorce and I have a 2 and 4 yr old that need my attention more and I have decided that I will rent for the time being which none will let me have dogs. Does anyone know where I could possibly start the search to find a new home for them? Of course no one really understands the needs of these breeds like most of the people on this forum and I want to make sure I find a forever home and one that has a fenced In yard and understand their crazy personalities. I will attach a picture later of them. Please let me know if you are interested or can point me in the right direction where to search for a new home. Thanks!

Jamie

Comments

• Hi Jamie,

Where do you live? I will speak to my hubby about possibly adoptingyour female hokkaido.
    More photos and information about the dogs' temperaments etc would be good :)
    Lisa
  • What about your ex, don't they want the dogs?
  • edited September 2013
    If you acquired the dogs locally (ie the same country) you should contact the breeders as there may be a requirement in the contract stating that the breeder has first right of refusal or that dogs should be returned to them should the owners be unable to keep.

Edit to add that some of the forum members have started an NK rescue, so you may want to contact them in regards of spreading the word. I think so far there's only a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NihonKenRescue
  • So sorry to hear this.

I believe Crispy is running the FB page and could post the information there if you provide it.

Where are you located? There are a number of Shiba meetups and I can network with the Shiba meetup organizers to help place your Shiba.
  • edited September 2013
    I'm sorry to hear this too. Yes, please contact your breeder, first, if they were not imports. There may be a requirement to send them back to the breeder.

Yes, our NK rescue is just beginning, so we can get the word out there, and maybe someone on the forum will be able to help as well. Where are you located? how old are the dogs? What are they like in terms of temperament? Are they particularly bonded (as in do you want to try to place some together?) As much information as you can give will help, and photos as well (or since you've been on the forum for awhile, maybe link their threads?)

There are good Shiba rescues, too, which may be able to help with the Shiba, who may be the most difficult to place anyway (given how many Shibas in need there are).
  • Ditto on what everyone else has mentioned here. I can post any information on the FB page if the breeder route is not an option. Current, clear pictures of the dogs will help and as much information as you can give.

I'm sorry you're going through this.
  • The Kai is from Classy I think, and I believe the Hokka is from Poland, and recollect that you live near Michigan?

Is your Hokkaido female spayed? It's sad that there is one needing rescue so early in the breeds history here, but that that's why it's good you have reached out here.

I'm very sorry you are going thru this :(
  • What are the ages and colors of the dogs?

@lindsayt New signature? I like. :)
  • edited September 2013
    I think the Hokkaido is white.

I liked your sig so borrowed the concept ;)

Scummy breeder offer:

If your Hokkaido female isn't spayed, I offer to take her for our preservation effort with the Hokkaido club here.
  • Definitely contact the breeders please. They will gladly take back the dogs. If that doesn't work then please strongly consider finding them a home through here and the NK rescue group as a priority, above other avenues. With how different these dogs are there's a much higher chance of a non-NK owner rehoming them yet again.

Post pictures when you can as well. My best friend down here in FL is looking into adopting a Shiba, and there's a high chance he'd be willing to take one of the two.
  • I think the Hokkaido is white.

I liked your sig so borrowed the concept ;)

Scummy breeder offer:

If your Hokkaido female isn't spayed, I offer to take her for our preservation effort with the Hokkaido club here.
    Well, it's isn't scummy since it's for HANA ;)
  • If I remember correctly, the dogs are Keira (shiba?), Kenji (Kai?), and Kangai. When I first joined the forum I would like to read the threads about Kangai even though the photos never showed up for me.

Here are a few of the old threads on Kangai:

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/616/new-hokkaido-inu-litter-in-poland#Item_50

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1011/kangai-is-finally-home#Item_40

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1727/kangai-is-6-months-already-now-with-video#Item_31

Too bad I can't take in any dogs at the moment or I would offer to help out. :(
  • @jmaxwell - How old is Kangai now (based on posts, she was born in 2008 and would be about 5, correct?) Is she spayed? How is she with other dogs? Are you willing to travel to get her into a new home (I will be in Columbus, Ohio this weekend)?

I would also be willing to give her a home if she gets along well with other female dogs and is healthy.

• @ jmaxwell - Hi Jamie! It's been a while! I'm sorry your update isn't a good one. :( I hope everything works out hon.

- Osy. ~
  • Any updates?
  • edited September 2013
    Kangai the Hokkaido is 5 and Keira and Kenji are 6. I would prefer they be all adopted together because they grew up together and kangai is from Poland and I refuse to send her back. I was very upset with how customs treat dogs being imported and yes I am located in Michigan.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures of them on my iPad....
  • With whatever home gets them, please let them know that the Hokkaido is very rare and this girl would be valuable to the the preservation effort here should the new home decide to not spay her.
  • It would be good if Kangai were used in the preservation program. I really, truly hope that happens. I hope they all find a good home, as well. It's hard to place three dogs together, though.
  • Jamie - Sorry to hear about this. I hope things start to look up for you soon.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures of them on my iPad....
    Download the "Imgur" app, and then use it to upload the pictures. Once they're uploaded it will give you links that you can copy and paste into the forum :)
  • How is the search going? Any updates @jmaxwell
  • Are your kids attached to the dogs?
    I went through a shit separation and kept my dogs, in a rental. Trying to balance a career and my terrors was hard but I managed it, my brother was fantastic with week day visits and walks when I was tied up with clients.

Please don't give up without trying. I'm sure this is a really hard, shit period in your life, but you will make it through and being on here I can safely assume you love your dogs, so if you are struggling perhaps assistance from a local member could help? Once your life stabilizes surely you'd be okay with them?

also, depending on region, "emotional support animals" are legal in rentals.

Best of luck.
  • Still have the pups. I am moving I a few weeks and will take them but continue to look for new homes. I am willing to break them up and separate them to good homes though. All three are a lot for anyone. I would be willing to someone travel to meet someone if interested but I really don't want them flying. The kids are somewhat attached to them but I also have cats and I don't think they would know any better. It's a hard decision for sure but something has to give and I know there are people out there who can be there for them more than I can be right now.
  • And it was a stipulation that I had to spay the Hokkaido or I couldn't get her papers. She came from Poland if anyone is unfamiliar with that from her breeder there.
  • @jmaxwell - If we can get nice pictures and write-ups on them, there may be some rescues willing to courtesy post them. I can also post them on the Nihon Ken Rescue page on Facebook.
  • I still can't gets pictures to
    Upload but I will work on it tomorrow with there write ups
  • I still can't gets pictures to
    Upload but I will work on it tomorrow with there write ups
    Perhaps save them into a folder on dropbox and share a view only link?

• edited May 2014
    OMG! I can`t belive it! Jamie! What are You writing about??? I get the message TODAY!,that is coming across the world by FB, that You want to give Kangai away right now, in a week! TODAY!
    Do You still have the contract You signed? I am still having it. And all of our correspondence also. Belive me I keep it until today.

Why are You lying??? You have never asked me If I will take Kangai back. You have never informed me that she is in need and is looking for a new home, although You were ought to do it according to our contract! You are obligated to inform me if the dog is in need, in first.

It is also ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE, that You "had to spay the Hokkaido or You couldn't get her papers. And that "she came from Poland if anyone is unfamiliar with that from her breeder there". She was sold as a breeding dog, with the permision to breed. It was only up to You If You decide to do it or not.
    If You have the problems with Your memory I can send You a copy of a contract (in where there is everthing written), the copy of all the exported papers of FCI (recognized by AKC and UKC)You got from us and even the e-mails from 2008, in which was:

Jamie: on 21st of August 2008
    I also have a question about Kangai, since she is already 6 months now. When should I expect her to go into heat and what should I expect? My husband and I have been talking about if we should spay her or not. I really don't want to because she is so beautiful, and if I could show her or breed her I would, however because she is such a rare breed, where would we find a male to breed her with and where could i show her? I guess we should think about this soon because we take her to the dog park frequently and some of those male dogs in there can get a little, frisky i guess you could say, and I wouldn't want her to get pregnant by some random dog on accident. What do you suggest I do?

Than I was writing to you:

To answer the question You asked me: It is tottally up to You if You want to spay her or not. In my opinion, You should not, because You can do it always, when You just will really need it. But it it only Your own decision. If You have some reason to do it, just do it. I know that there is a very small possiaility, that there will be a new, not related - male hokkaido in US. But maybe, he will be one day :) So, maybe, You can wait a while with this decision. Maybe You should write the men, who has a couple of hokkas in US? As Okiron wrote me - she is going to come to Japan to born her baby there and she will try to buy a hokkaido there. So maybe, it is not so unreal? :)
    But, Jamie, You do what You find it is necessary or just - more comfortable to You.
    About the shows - You can show her where You want - in AKC or UKC. I am sure they accept her pedigree :) And maybe, when some people will see this breed on the shows, they will fall in love with this breed and will desire to import more hokkas to US?
    If her heat is a big problem to You, just do it.

You answered on 16th of October:
    "We still havent decided on if we want to spay her or not yet. We are still debating".

Anyway, before I sell You a dog, You promised me many times You would never give the dog away. It is the most awful thing that could happen to my dog... That`s way I considered not to send a dog so far from home at first... But You have seemed to be a
    responsible woman, so I belived You...

Maybe if You informed me I would try to find a new home for Kangai? Why didn`t You do it?? Maybe I could have time to organised her back to Poland. If I had an information earlier... My e-mail didn`t change for the years but I got no message at all about the situation of Kangai from the begining of 2009, altough I tried, and send the e-mail without the answers...

Today I wrote to the Dog Rescue that is looking for a home for Kangai. I hope they have more interesting of the dog and will try to help us to help Kangai...

That`s the true.
    Bye

e.

>:P
  • Hope you guys can work it out. Just pick up the phone.

....Life events can throw a monkey wrench at anyone. Hoping the best for everyone.

That being said….

Don’t leave the barer of news solely to emails where messages are left up to the portal gods since it is all to easy to have communication stifled. News like this is not something someone wants to find out online, it just skews things and creates poor assumptions and rumors that will ruin someones day.

It is times like these that having your breeder on speed dial and phone contact is soooo helpful. Yes even in another country give a call and talk.

Snf