How to show your Nihon Ken?

2»

Comments

• Also showing in Akiho is totally different than AKC and UKC I've never seen a Nippo show.
  • If I recall correctly, NIPPO is much closer to what@poeticdragon has posted. There is no baiting and you can't physically touch the dog. You are also standing behind and the ideal angle is 45. The dog is supposed to look as natural as possible. A 90 degree leash pull tends to create wrinkles and make the dog look like they don't want to be there. The dog should naturally stack and express their pride and personality.

I suspect though, that NIPPO and AKIHO are also different from one another.

Just found the link:

http://shibaclassic.com/about_a_nippo-style_show

Honestly I saw a range of handling. Some dogs just settled into it like pros, some were fairly unfocused without baiting. Most were in between (they took a but to get warmed up but focused after a bit). I will say though, that the NIPPO style of handling, in my opinion, facilitated the expression of individual personality much more so than any AKC show that I've watched.
  • The NIPPO Classic shows pretty much exactly like LA AKIHO and the AKIHO shows in Japan I went to. The only difference was that the judge in 2013 was more "hands on" and interested in feeling the texture of the coat, layback of the shoulders, musculature, etc. I don't know if that is just his personality or a NIPPO thing, since the 2011 judge didn't do that. Also we did a triangle in the ring which AKIHO doesn't do, but this might be because the Colonial Shiba Club that puts it in is primarily an AKC organization and there was an AKC assistant judge.

With regards to my previous post, I feel I should stress that what matters most is the position of the dog. Pulling up on the leash can lead to the dog being in a bad pose. It happens even with the pro handlers, who should know better. If the dog is stacked correctly, pulling up on the leash to give it a fuller face is fine. See the last picture in my post, with the black brindle, as an example. But doing so should only cause the fur to move forward -- not the head, neck, and body. It is difficult for a person new to handling to get this right, and I don't recommend they try it, since they're more likely to hurt the presentation of their dog than help. That's all.
  • Idk, that 45 degree angle is really looking sharp with this shiba pup

I took this pic at the NIPPO Classic in Ohio, and even though this pup naturally stacked well, I don't think she would look as good if the angle was any higher.

The impression I got with the use if the 90 degree leash angle was to help exaggerate the head. That angle pulls the neck fur up and gives a rounder, more full look than other angles. Could hide weak cheeks and bring more pitch to the ears as well.
  • I like that pic, @Calia! The dog looks ready to spring into action, brimming with energy, not yanked around by its head.
  • edited October 2013
    What not to do...

Akitas are not giraffes!

Both of these dogs look like they're struggling just to keep their front toes on the ground. The front assembly looks unnaturally straight, lacking any angulation to balance out their rears -- which are bent to take on more weight than usual as they try to find balance with their head held up like that. The shoulders look straight, the front legs are posting, and there is the appearance that both dogs lack prosternum. The white dog is pulling against it a little more, and has flat feet because of this (you can see her toe pads). Neither dog has good expression, they both look about 15 seconds away from thrashing to escape the "noose."
  • I want to thank you guys for this discussion- i've learned a lot! Given me some things to think about if I get to show Matsu again, as well as what to look at when I see photos of dogs AND the skill of handling/showing a dog, as well as the knowledge that not everything I see in fancy pictures of show dogs is good presentation. I have long thought many akitas looked super uncomfortable in the noosey presentations but figured, you know: what do *I* know? :)
  • Here are two albums of photos shot at AKIHO shows in Japan. These are not the staged pictures you see breeders and handlers posting on websites and advertisements for their dogs. These are real dogs in real shows. You'll notice a great deal of variety in the angle of leash; by no means are all or even most of them at 90 degrees. The dogs that are presented well, whether or not the leash is straight up, are not being hung by their collar or pulling/leaning against it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107561312362040855135/GunmaAKIHOShow2012
    https://picasaweb.google.com/107561312362040855135/OsakaAKIHOShow2012
  • @poeticdragon or *JackBurton*- I was looking at the videos and I had a few questions.

Touching the tail is really allowed in AKIHO? I know that tail-touching is not suppose to happen in NIPPO. Lots of grumbling from the Beikoku shiba crowd when they see somebody doing that in the ring.

Also, a dog that sits any time during judging is viewed as weaker in NIPPO. Is it the same with AKIHO?

I know that folks in any venue might reset the front of the dog by lifting straight up on the lead. This keeps things hands-off.

But some folks use their feet to remind the dog to move it's back feet further back. How is this viewed in AKIHO and NIPPO?

• @ayk no touching the dog is a no no. If I didn't say the earlier I should of. A dog sitting would be a deduction but a handler moving the dog are resetting it with the lead isn't that bad .

I do know someone who likes to tap the feet but he only does it when the judge isn't looking.

• What we say is not allowed at LA AKIHO is very different than what i saw Japanese people doing (with and without the judge looking) in Japan. I saw lots of touching going on.
  • I usually let Nuuk stand free in shows. I don't set him to pose.

• Also, a dog that sits any time during judging is viewed as weaker in NIPPO.
    Oh no, we're doomed! I picture it now... Ajax is going to sit down and start whining.

I entered Ajax into the Aomori NIPPO regionals taking place next weekend. Wish us luck!