Dogs at the Dane County Humane Society (Pictures) - Updated 07-27-2009

edited May 2008 in Rescue
Friday I went to the humane society to take some pictures of a friends dogs, while I was out there I took a few dogs outside and took some photos of them. Here are some of them:

Only one sad indoor one (this guy is up for adoption):
Photobucket

These guys are from "Pre-Adopt" they have not been approved yet, or are on hold as strays for up to a week before they can be made adoptable:

Collie/Retriever Mix:
Photobucket
Photobucket

Male Pit (Pits love their toys, and being goofy)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

He didn't have any manners, and was a bit of a leg humper. If he isn't picked up soon he will be neutered and evaluated for adoption.

Female Pit - RIP 05-13-2008
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Nose to nose with an adoptable dog on the other side. Possible Shiba or Besenji and Terrier mix?
Photobucket

A girl who just got moved up to adoptable who was out with some other volunteers:
Photobucket
Photobucket

The website I put my galleries on is going to be shut down soon. I need to figure out something else for galleries so I don't have to cram so many pictures into one thread/post, but I wanted to share.

I'm thinking about taking my camera out there more often. However most of the time I keep busy enough just trying to get the dogs out.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I think that you thinking about taking your camera out there more often is a good way to be thinking!!!! :-)

As usual Brandon, I LOVE your action shots! The first one of the female pit running toward the camera is just brilliant. You can see how muscular she is.

I also really like the shots of the male pit being goofy. :-)
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Brandon, you could make a KILLING by having a pet photography business. Owners like me would love for someone like you to catch their dog's spirit in a photo :-)
  • edited November -1
    As usual Brandon, excellent photos! I really like the close up of that male pit, he has one of the happiest expressions I have ever seen on a dog.
  • edited November -1
    Oooo. I love that Collie Mix and the Male Pit. Sooooooooo cute!
  • edited November -1
    I love the female pit running (from distance) she looks so happy
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Some time outside, warm sun, and soft grass can make dogs really, really happy.

Dave - She is muscular, most pits are, she's a real powerhouse though, once she is out that door, you need to hold on tight and hope your shoulder doesn't pop out.

Pam - It's in the works. http://bwpetphotography.blogspot.com/ I haven't started soliciting business, but hopefully I will be getting business cards to hand out by the end of the month. There are two other really good pet photographers in the area, I'm not trying to make a career of it, but some extra cash wouldn't hurt now and then, and you get to hang out with peoples pets.
  • edited November -1
    Brandon I LOVE them!!! AND I am so jealous, you get grass for them to play on!! When I took tink to be on the news yesterday it had been so long since she had even seen lawn that she didn't even know what to do. I had to roll to show her how to do it.
  • edited November -1
    Jessica we are very lucky to have the facility that we have. It is on the outskirts of Madison and the facility is located on 17 acres of land. There are 4 large fenced play areas, 2 puppy play areas, and lots of walking trails in a nice wooded area. I love that, that is available to the dogs, but it takes volunteers to get them out there. Donations made the building happen, and run the facility but that leaves them with a very tight budget for staff, plus the place is open door policy, any dog that comes to the door is taken in. It's somewhere near 10,000 animals a year that come in.

I may not love all of the politics of the place, but it's still a great place, and it's nice to be able to take the dogs out to some grass and throw the ball around with them.
  • edited November -1
    Well I started a Flickr page, so far I like it better than photobucket for sharing photos.

There are a few extras on here, and I will probably upload a few more once I get home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26488953@N08/sets/72157605019260667/
  • edited November -1
    Brandon, I'm glad you posted about flickr, because I was just thinking about you and your gallery plight. Have you considered running your own server? If you have a broadband internet connection, you can configure dynamic dns (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/), run the apache http server (www.apache.org) and use a php gallery software (http://www.phpalbum.net/ or http://gallery.menalto.com/ or just google for php photo gallery, there are tons of options) all on your home computer. That's a free option you might want to consider.
  • edited November -1
    Dave - I know nothing of setting up websites or servers. I had some webspace for awhile but was never able to make anything of it. Friends who offered to help for free, well, I didn't climb to the top of their list of things to get done, and I can't blame them for that. HTML code and all that stuff, I don't know any of it, and I think I have other things I'd rather learn. I still need to learn photoshop! That's how I ended up with a blog webspace/business front instead of a real website.

I don't even know what a dynamic dns, apache server or php software is.
  • edited November -1
    This wouldn't require writing any html code or anything like that, but it isn't exactly "simple" to do either. It mainly requires downloading and installing a bunch of software and managing the dependencies and configuration files. But if you don't want to put in the time (which is totally understandable) then a hosted solution is probably better for you.
  • edited November -1
    The Collie/Retriever mix was looked at by a classic American family today. Dad, Mom, brother and sister all came to look with their cocker spaniel in tow. The meeting between the humans and dogs went well. The cocker was more interested in toys and the retriever was just eating up all the attention, accepting pets and hugs from the kids (teenagers). Seemed like a great match, he was following the boy around by the time they left the yard. Short stay for him (total of less than a week). He had been dumped because of a divorce, and has a family again (or at least it really, really seemed like it was going to happen).

That was nice to see.
  • edited November -1
    Excellent news Brandon!
  • edited November -1
    thats awesome to hear. I love those classic American families with the nice house in the 'burbs. One of them adopted my basset foster. But I felt really good about it.
  • edited November -1
    Well the Collie/Retriever mix is back. Apparently he growled at one of the kids, once. Yes, growled once, and they returned him. F'ing assholes.

He is back up for adoption already, hopefully the next family that adopts him is more deserving than the last one.

Other than that, all of the dogs in here have been adopted except Coltrane, who is the male pit. He has been in isolation because of kennel cough so he doesn't get as many people looking at him, as a lot of the public does not ask to see the adoptable dogs in iso.
  • edited November -1
    I'd like to growl at that family, too - ggrrrrrr!
  • edited November -1
    ew. what a horrible thing. although, I am childless so perhaps I'm not seeing the entire scenario. Although thats not an example I would want my (non-existent) children to see - they didn't even try..
  • edited November -1
    I am childless, but have children in my home (see recent thread about dog bite & Michael) - a dog can growl for a multitude of reasons - including a child acting improper with or around the dog. They should be willing to work with the dog and their child.
  • edited June 2008
    I took the camera back out today. The only pictures I have uploaded so far are of a Pitbull named Cyclone. He is adoptable, so I sent them out to the staff at DCHS to see if they would like to use my photos for the website. This guy is amazing. He loves people, and is a total clown. He untied both of my shoes! Poor guy has got "the cough" though, so he isn't out where everyone can see him. I love him, he has enough energy to power the state of Wisconsin:

Cyclone-0229

Cyclone-0227

Cyclone-0211

Cyclone-0205

Cyclone-0198

I'm completely in love with him, there are a few more pictures on flickr.

I'll have pictures of more dogs in the next few days.
  • edited November -1
    how beautiful!
  • edited November -1
    Man, Pits have the best smiles and he's no exception! Nice shots Brandon! :-)
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    oh my - it's not going to take long for him to be snatched up with those pictures!!
  • edited November -1
    His face has so much character, I love it.
  • edited November -1
    What a great looking face he has!
  • edited November -1
    My pictures are going to go up on the website! I'm happy about that.
  • edited November -1
    your photos of him will definitely help him find that forever home faster! You shine a great light on a very worthy, smiling face!
    that's awesome
  • edited November -1
    That's great Brandon! A good picture can do a lot to help a dog in need and you're aren't good, they're great!
  • edited June 2008
    Looks like Cyclone already found a home! WOO!

More dogs from Thursday:

How awesome is this guy?
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0058
    I love Rotties, I think he is still growing, his head was enormous.

A little fluffball, sweet but demanding (cute underbite too):
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0043

This guy barks a lot, and jumps fences. He's pretty awesome:
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0092

*sniff* *sniff* I FOUND TREAT POCKET!
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0115

Flying dog (same as treat sniffer):
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0123

And his buddy:
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0120
    I'm just sad I was looking into the sun for it, maybe I'll try to HDR It, when I start doing that...

Another black and tan mutt (not flying dog):
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0150
    A little blurry, but I like it anyhow. This dog was great. Doesn't know a damn thing but he LOVES everyone.

Portrait dog of the day:
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0133

I was calling this one the Cattle Pit, because she seemed Cattle dog like to go along with the pit:
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0148

DCHS Dogs 6-19-0170

There are more on my flickr page (this should take you directly to the set):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157605705432928/
  • edited November -1
    awesome, as usual! I hope they use your pics to help these dogs! They are fabulous!