Shikoku looking for a home?

edited April 2015 in Rescue
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has already been posted, but my friend put this on my facebook wall:

The area code looks like it's in Minnesota. Do any of you know this dog? Is there already a group trying to help place it? I'm guessing he's imported.

Comments

• I can't believe this is real... tell me this is some April Fool thing, please.
  • This can't be real.. I refuse to believe this is real..
  • edited April 2015
    The person that posted this on my wall isn't close enough with me that he'd make a bad joke like this. I might be the only shikoku owner he knows (unless he happens to know roninshiba). I'd be relieved if it is a joke, but I'm worried it's not. :/ My boyfriend tried calling the number, but it's out of service. Maybe the owner is playing a bad april fools joke :'(

Edit: oops, didn't put in roninshiba's name. I always remember him by his real name haha
  • If this is real, the owner is a shitty person who is incapable of rehoming a dog properly.

Who puts "Very rare breed (going extinct). Needs to keep breeding"? They aren't going "extinct". Yes they are rare, but for the love of god, are they whoring out their dog and saying whoever gets him should breed him as well???
  • I'm not sure if this is real. I called the second I saw this and got wrong number message. If this is real thoug I will make every effort to get him Rehomed. Or at least in foster care.
  • Yea... I completely forgot it's April 1st. Hopefully it's just a joke. :( The person that sent it to me (JA owner) said he got it in a text from a friend. If this dog has been bred, I'm assuming the owner had to talk to one of the north american breeders. Hopefully, one of them or someone from NASC will recognize it and can check if this is real.
  • I feel like it's fake, looks like my dog's father also called kaiju. His owner has a different name and lives in California.
  • Wonder if the number was a typo? 951 is cali area code.
  • Though I think this person might be playing a sick deplorable joke, the breed is extinct unless a population geneticist or 2, become involved.
  • The supposed owner gives no information at all, except suppositions as I admit, mine are
    though I have seen many a rare breed go to ruin....
  • edited April 2015
    Update: This is real. The area code is a typo and is actually 925 which is in northern california. For now, we've arranged to pick up the dog on Friday because Saturday is a very short deadline!

We'd really like to find someone that can keep this dog long term. As much as I'd love to, I don't think we have the means to keep him--we live in a 3 bed apartment and our shikoku is sometimes reactive to intact males. If anyone in the Los Angeles area can take care of him long term (edit: or even short term in case he doesn't get along with my pup), I'd gladly drive him down this weekend.

Also, if anyone in the bay area happens to have an extra Shikoku-sized crate we could borrow... that would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I'll just buy one on my way home if the owner doesn't give us one.

• edited April 2015
    Alright guys, i hope this is not a joke, Me and emily have arranged to pick him up, so don't worry there. The add looks funny because the people who put it up are not english speakers and did not structure the ad well, they mean all the best for the dog though. We will work hard on finding him a more permanent foster home, as we can't exactly take care of both katsu and him at the same time. If anyone in the northern california or even southern california area can possibly take him or foster him. Let us know please and we'll try to make some arrangements.
  • Wow, that is so strange! Any idea on the suddenness of their decision? Health or behavior problems? Who was the breeder? Surely they'd like to know.

If you can evaluate his temperament, maybe we can find a good fit on the forum. I would be up for a Shikoku rehome if the dog is capable of coexisting with a male Shiba.
  • Holy moly, I thought it was in Minnesota for a second. I was pretty sure I'm the only Shikoku owner in MN (as far as I know) but I was about ready to drive anywhere in the state and grab him.

What are the details, here? Where is he from? Has he been bred before? How is he with other dogs? Why are they getting rid of him? Slight possibility of being interested (perhaps I'm just still excited from thinking he was in state) but I'd want to know more and there's the logistics of getting him here. I'm fairly confident offering a foster home but again I'm pretty far away from him, unfortunately :/
  • The dog in the picture is most likely Kaiju, imported by Brad.

http://www.shikoku-pedigree.com/details.php?id=63315
  • edited April 2015
    @emi802, @jigzzor,
    Please call that person back and guarantee/secure that you will take Kaiju for the short term(yes, Corina confirmed that it's him). I just got off the phone with Corina. That is the owner's relative (who Kaiju is currently staying with) that put out those fliers. If you can find a way to get him down to Southern California, Corina and I will figure out where he stays afterwards.

The owner's relative put out these fliers unbeknownst to her so we're trying to salvage the situation.

The last thing we need is for that dog to disappear from the Shikoku community.

Thank you,
    Jesse
  • edited April 2015
    OMG Jesse! So scary this is happening.
  • edited April 2015
    Wow, craziness. I hope everything gets worked out! Sounds like a stressful situation.

I'm not sure what you guys are planning on doing with him, or if he does need a new home, but as of right now I'm interested, especially if he is still being used for breeding. As far as I can tell, he and Shoko are unrelated and might make a good pair when she's old enough.
  • @tjbart17 is also willing to help to temporarily home Kaiju until this gets sorted.

Jesse
  • So update for you guys, The current person in possession of kaiju told me that she will contact me tommorow. But as soon as she says yes, we'll be picking him up. This is looking to be quite serious and we will do whatever it is in our power to make sure kaiju is safe. Let's all just hope for the best at this point and we'll figure something out. We are willing to take care of him short term and bring him down to corina this weekend.
  • Thank you, guys, for stepping up for him. This is insane.
  • Wow... Of all days for this to happen. I thought it was a joke.

I'm located in San Jose if you guys need any quick short term help. (But unfortunately I'm due soon so I can't provide any long term housing).

Hope you guys can get him tomorrow!
  • edited April 2015
    925 is the Antioch, Concord, Pleasanton, Walnut Creek area. We can't take him either as we've got two already. @Zandrame how old is your Shiba? Kiyomi(Shikoku) drives Kuma (6 yr old Shiba) nuts. They also play very rough...

I spoke to a person at a local dog park(San Jose) who has a neighbor who owns a Shikoku. The Shikoku was imported from Japan for breeding. For what it's worth, she says the dog is not friendly and very reactive. The owners are not from the US, and he is their first dog. I wonder if this is the same Shikoku.
  • Yeah, I'm curious about his temperament with other dogs as well. I really wish I weren't so far away. But if he's looking for a home and it's a good fit perhaps we could figure out transport. At any rate, keep us updated. What a wild situation.
  • Ok...the owner would be me. I am at a conference. Kaiju is temporarily staying at my sisters house. He is coming back to riverside on Saturday. I didn't know about these fliers until corina texted me....thank god she did..It's taken care of. My sister is taking down the fliers as we speak.
  • Why and how did this happen
  • THANK GOD. I was freaking out about all of this. If you need anything from me or emily, let us know. I'm literally 20 minutes away from her, I already told corina we'd be willing to drive kaiju down to her this weekend if need be, let us know if you guys are good.
  • What a weird situation. I'm sorry all this happened. I'm glad it seems like everything has been worked out.
  • Pheeew. So glad this worked out. I was freaking out when I saw the poster. It must've been way more surprising for you. And yes, do let us know if you need any help!
  • Wow, this is scary. Glad you got word of it, but what a nightmare!