I hate Thursdays

edited May 2008 in Rescue
So the volunteer coordinator made a point of calling me to discourage me from coming in tomorrow. "It is going to be rough day" she tells me "I don't want you to have to be here, try to come Friday". Seven dogs are getting put down tomorrow.
RIP
Fergie
Buster
Alvin
Tracie
Snoopy
Miss Wiggles
and maybe Apple

We are so overcrowded and are required by law to have 5 open cells at all times and 2 in quarentine. We have not a single cell open right now. If you know anyone looking for dogs, send them to the pound.

No kill shelters are very nice, but when they are too crowded their overflow comes to us. And we don't get to say, "sorry we're full"

Gonna go cry now

Comments

• edited November -1
    Jessica - I am so sorry. Nothing is worse than bonding with a dog, only to find out that they aren't going to get their shot at a forever home.
  • edited November -1
    That's terrible Jessica. I'm so sorry to hear that.

When I went in to volunteer on Saturday, I met with a guy who has been volunteering every Saturday for the last 20 years. The first thing he told me was his "don't ask don't tell policy". He said if there's a dog you like and you can't find it when you come in, just assume its been adopted. Don't ask, and they won't tell you. I think I'm going to try to follow that one as closely as possible.

What is the five open cell law for?
  • edited November -1
    Truly, the only way to keep going back with an open heart to the shelter (which is not a no kill facility) is the don't ask, don't tell policy.

Such is life I guess.
  • edited November -1
    I think it is mostly to avoid health risks with overcrowding, and safety risks. I am sure there is also the budget side, that way they don't have to feed too many dogs.
  • edited November -1
    That is really shitty. :o(
  • edited November -1
    I'm really sorry to hear that. It's terrible. Innocent dogs losing their lives, and it seems like there's nothing you can do...but don't lose hope, keep going, even if you can't go tomorrow.
  • edited November -1
    *huggies* I'm sorry Jessica.
  • edited November -1
    That really sucks. Sorry Jess :(
  • edited November -1
    That is so sad, I had no idea. Thursdays will never be the same!
  • edited November -1
    *sniff* RIP puppies.
  • edited November -1
    I'm very sorry to read that. They deserved better, they all do.