Dogs at the Dane County Humane Society (Pictures) - Updated 07-27-2009

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's awesome that Cyclone got a forever home!

I love flying dog, great picture and awesome looking pup. He reminds me of this little guy I totally fell in love with yesterday at the shelter...endless energy and the sweetest temperament! I hope they both get their forever homes soon!
  • edited November -1
    I was too quick to post about Cyclone. He was still there this morning, I'm not sure why he's not on the website. Maybe he has an adoption scheduled for this week, or after they cut his balls off.
  • edited November -1
    Bravo!!
  • edited November -1
    The Rottie was picked up by his owners. Hopefully they put a collar and tags on him...
  • edited June 2008
    This guy:

DCHS Dogs 6-19-0133

Went to his new home yesterday.

Edit: Every dog in the first post (from May) has been adopted too. The Collie/Retriever that was returned was adopted again really quickly.
  • edited November -1
    That's great news!
  • edited November -1
    that made my day, brandon!
  • edited November -1
    Fabulous! That's great news.
  • edited November -1
    Took the camera again yesterday. They had asked me to come take pictures of Chino because his current ones are not very good. Chino is some sort of pit mix. He has really long legs, and almost a Greyhound type deep chest and then really big curve up to the stomach area. He was really shy when he first showed up but is doing much better, poor guy has been stuck in Isolation though because of kennel cough.

Chino:

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1358

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1395

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1366

I'm not sure of this guys story, I didn't pay enough attention as I was just trying to get the dogs out. He's a really sweet dog though. Some sort of terrier mutt.

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1237

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1220

These two were owner surrenders for one reason or another. I think it was that the owner was no longer able to care for them. An obvious bonded pair, both very sweet. They could use a bath and grooming session though:

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1163

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1167

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1181

I just kept calling this guy "Fluffy". Came in as a stray, however I don't think it was an accidental stray, or they just didn't care. He came in very well groomed and without any matts in his hair. He was hard to photograph as he never wanted to hold still.

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1209

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1207

I took pictures of a few other dogs, but I haven't had time to edit them yet.
    There are more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606354691924/

Also Cyclone got adopted about two weeks ago. His parents have already sent in an update letter. They named him Jack, after Captain Jack Sparrow (eye patch/pirate thing). He is doing awesome.
  • edited November -1
    your pics of the dogs always make me smile - THANK YOU!
  • edited November -1
    ditto, LJ! i love them, too! and yay for cyclone!!
  • edited November -1
    Wow, Chino is a handsome boy. Thanks for sharing. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Awesome job with the photos! You are doing such a great thing. I know that to some pictures may not seem like much but it really helps improve the odds of adoption. Some of the cruddy photos that shelters take you hardly recognize the dog when you get there. I can't believe how blurry and hurried some of the shots are.

Anyway thanks for sharing and caring enough to offer you talents to dogs in need.
    Snf
  • edited July 2008
    The Terrier mutt up there, who has the big grin, his name is Peanut. He got adopted already, I think he was adopted in less than 36 hours once made available.

Also. On Saturday a lady who was renting, and had animals she was not supposed to had to surrender her dogs. She had a female German Short haired pointer, and the EIGHT PUPPIES that the Mom gave birth to about 6 months ago. She had nine short haired pointers on a rental property. The good news is that they are all very sweet, all in good condition (weight, skin, teeth, etc), and well socialized. They don't have many manners but they will learn quick. I have some pictures of them, that I will try and get up soon. I want to see if we can get all of them playing together in the same yard sometime, although watching them run around in pairs was lot of fun. The mom is just as sweet as can be and she knows some commands. I think they will all go pretty quick once made adoptable. I have never seen a surrender like that though.
  • edited November -1
    The Pointers:

Mom:
    DCHS 07-28-08-1438

The 8 "puppies":
    DCHS 07-28-08-1422

DCHS 07-28-08-1418

DCHS 07-28-08-1600

DCHS 07-28-08-1592

DCHS 07-28-08-1572

DCHS 07-28-08-1573

DCHS 07-28-08-1565

DCHS 07-28-08-1564

Some other dogs:

My gut tells me that this girl isn't going to make it out:
    DCHS 07-28-08-1539

DCHS 07-28-08-1429

This guy already didn't make it out...
    R.I.P Diamond 07-31-2008

DCHS 07-28-08-1486

There two are a bonded pair, they are very sweet. I think they will find a home quickly:
    DCHS 07-28-08-1451

DCHS 07-28-08-1447

More...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606427095417/
  • edited November -1
    Those pointers are ADORABLE! How old are those puppies? They weren't born in the shelter were they?
  • edited November -1
    One post up I told the story about the pointers. They were not born at the shelter. One of them has already been adopted by a staff member and the rest of them are now adoptable or will be today, they should go fast.
  • edited November -1
    Ah, now I recall. Nice shots as usual! :-)
  • edited August 2008
    Some more dogs.

Mikado - He stayed on the adoptable floor for a couple of months, so I took some better pictures of him to increase interest, he was adopted like 30 minutes after I took the pictures, so they ended up being not necessary. He is a beautiful dog though, really sweet.

DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-26

DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-25

Indy - He has also been on the adoption floor for a long time, hopefully my pictures can increase interest in him. He is of course awesome, and a bit of a handful.

DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-20

DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-23

A purebred Carin that came in as a stray, just a pup:
    DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-1

This guy is an old terrier/schnauzer mix, he loves to be in your lap. I tried to lay down to create some space between us for a picture, when I layed down he sat on my chest and I snapped this pic:
    DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-27

Full dog version:
    DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-29

A nice little hound dog:
    DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-16

The rest from that day:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606614658982/
  • edited August 2008
    And from yesterday, the last ones were from last Thursday:

A St. Bernard mix. I swear I think the wind caught his big mouth on this one, he looks like the biggest Border Collie ever:

DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-2

DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-1

The oldest Black Lab ever? (She got moved up to adoptable yesterday):

DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-25

RIP - 08-15-2008
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-23

If you ever wondered what would happen if a Pug and a Shar Pei got it on....
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-16

Some puppy GSD mutt mix:
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-29
    Yes, he was excited about everything.

RIP - 08-18-2008
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-32

This guy has two eyes, but you can't tell here:
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-22

This little guy whispered to me, "My belly, it is for scratching":
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-20

More from yesterday:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606658769697/
  • edited November -1
    wow great pictures... wish I could take pics like that :P
  • edited November -1
    On the post from August 1st there is a B&W Pit who I had a bad feeling about, but I was wrong! She passed her evaluation and is now up for adoption. I'm shocked about the whole thing as she did bite someone, however she was trying to get at another barking dog and a human leg got in the way. They named her Sadie, I'm really happy she is adoptable, she's just the sweetest (with people).

Thank you Walrus.
  • edited November -1
    Brandon, you're really doing a great thing for these dogs. Not just by being there, but by taking such great pictures of them. You should feel really good about yourself. :-)

I'm really glad that husky got adopted. I have a soft spot for huskys. That little guy getting his belly scratched is adorable!

Great shots as usual!
  • edited November -1
    They were calling Mikado an Alaskan Husky. In full body shots you can see he isn't pure Siberian, I guess you can call him an Alaskan then since they aren't really a breed.

The little guy was a sweet dog, and loved to play. He chased after a stuffed toy like crazy, I have a few more shots of him on Flickr.

Apparently Julie (who takes care of the dog profiles) said she has received some e-mails saying they like the pictures of mine that have been put up. If my pictures can help the dogs that is great, although at this point I kind of just like documenting all the dogs I meet. I think I'd be taking the pictures even if they didn't want to post them. I just like to do what I can to help since I don't have the opportunity to donate financially as much as I may like too.
  • edited November -1
    Ok. I could NEVER volunteer at the shelter. Not knowing their personalities, I'm in love with Indy, the St. Bernard Mix, the old Lab and the otter (LOL)!
  • edited August 2008
    All of those dogs, you would love even more after meeting. I really want the old lab to find a home. Her previous owners dumped her on some farm land. At her age, savages!

Clarence the Schnauzer mix who was sitting on my chest for a picture, got adopted. Hooray! Such a sweet dog, and a treat eating machine. He went home yesterday!

Edit - Clarabelle (The old lab) DID FIND A HOME! Her first day on the adoption floor!

Also the Momma German Pointer and all 8 of her pups have been adopted too!
  • edited November -1
    Those pictures are awesome, Brandon. You are doing such a great thing. I wish all shelters had people who were willing to take the time and photograph the dog's personality like you do. :) I do love the little dog who whispers that his belly is made for scratching! SUPER CUTE! Keep up the good work!
  • edited November -1
    I'm sure I would. I really, really love that St. Bernard mix and the lab. Ugh, is stoning still a thing? I think the lab previous owners should be stoned to death! What's her name? She looks like a Saidee to me.

Yay for Clarence!
  • edited November -1
    Great photos of beautiful pups!
    That family size Border Collie look a like is great!
  • edited November -1
    Clarabelle is a really pretty - and well suited name! I'm so happy she found a home.