Why you just can never ever purchase puppies from a pet store

edited June 2008 in Rescue
Yesterday, The Humane Society of the United States led a massive rescue effort to save nearly 700 breeding dogs and puppies in the largest puppy mill rescue in Tennessee history. Below, you can view the video of the rescue of hundreds of animals from the horrors of the Pine Bluff Kennels puppy mill operation.

The HSUS is working with a small army of dedicated individuals, and the animals are now safely housed in a temporary emergency shelter operated by The HSUS, where veterinarians are assessing the animals' medical needs. The animals will be placed with HSUS partner shelters and given the chance to be adopted into loving homes.

This is why I tell everyone I know, so they tell everyone they know, and they pay it forward to stop puppy mills. American Akitas and Shiba Inus are subject to puppy mill operations, poor breeding, and over producing. The results are always devastating. This includes internet puppy sales, like nextdaypets.com. Don't even buy supplies from a store that sells puppies. It is just crucial to do your homework and find a reputable breeder or adopt from rescue until this doesn't happen any more. It breaks my heart every single time I think about it. But feeling sad doesn't change a thing! Must be proactive!

After you watch the video, go here:
http://www.stoppuppymills.org/video.html

(not a long video, but graphic - deceased dogs and fecal matter shown)

Comments

• edited November -1
    It’s just so sad the cruelty and neglect that is behind the much of pet trade particularly animals that are for sale through retailers, brokers, and distributors, all of which are an integral part of the livestock industry. Don’t be fooled by disguised merchants or online storefronts proclaiming to be reputable breeders.

Investigate and research any would be “breeder” before making a purchase. There are good guides on this forum and also some tips at the following.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/puppy_mills_dark_hopeless_040408.html

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_adoption_information/puppy_buyers_guide.html
  • edited November -1
    Here is the Oprah Show segment on Puppy Mills with Lisa Ling

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

• edited June 2008
    oh, romi.. thank you for posting these! This airing really hit home, this is where Tsuki came from, an Amish puppy mill near Lancaster, PA.. I saw it, I smelled it, I broke down crying on the spot from it but Tsuki - she lived it. Her mother still lives it.
    Of this show, I can keep from crying until the middle of 'part 3' with the little boy adopting the dog.. I just.. I can't hold it after that!! and by the end of part 5, I'm sobbing.. that's why I do what I do when I can.. you can't just sit there and watch it, 'you have to be the change you want to see in the world' (quote, Mahatma Gandhi).
  • edited November -1
    Oh man, that was really tough to watch. Thank you for posting it Romi.

The part that really got me was when they asked "How do you know they are coming around?" and his response was "Their tail starts wagging." I just lost it. The thought that those creatures with endless love to give are in such terrible conditions that something as simple and pleasurable as wagging their tail doesn't happen on a daily basis just destroys me. We've all got a lot of work to do to fix this.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, that's rough. I think I'll write some letters.
  • edited November -1
    A follow up to the Tennessee puppy mill raid:

• edited November -1
    Update from (WSB Radio) Atlanta, GA -- A melee erupted at the Atlanta Humane Society headquarters on Howell Mill Road Tuesday morning when more than 200 people showed up to adopt dogs rescued from a Tennessee puppy mill.

The agency accepted 129 dogs, many of which were purebred Yorkies easily selling for over $800. The same dogs were selling at the humane society for $200.

Atlanta police were called to the scene to maintain order. Some attending the event reported being threatened by other buyers.
  • edited November -1
    How sad :( I think I'd be more shocked if I didn't do a lot of reading on the subject though. Does anybody know of a website that lists known puppy mills? I'd like to research where Mylie came from, as I have the information of the "breeder" from the store. I couldn't find a Shiba breeder in NYS during my search which is why I am skeptical; and just happened to stumble across Mylie in the pet store. I snatched her up quick, we just had a connection when we met & I couldn't leave her behind to be picked up by somebody who hadn't researched her breed.
  • edited November -1
    Scratch that. I found everything I was looking for, will stop taking over this thread and post another.
  • edited November -1
    I bring this up as a only as a reminder ....Don't support the pet trade. Purchases from pet stores, brokers, internet dog dealers or the Amish are never a good thing.

On top of the loss of animal life at these facilities, there are considerable costs we all pay in managing individuals likes these.

Here is the latest on a raid in Philly PA that occurred today. Sadly among the dogs was/were Shibas.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/25609634.html

Snf
  • edited November -1
    holy crap.
    the PA Dept of Agriculture found NO violations on this guy in Jan 08??? Were they blind? My state sucks.
    Such a sickening world.
  • edited November -1
    Obviously the Dept. of Ag's standards are very different than the SPCAs. I truly think the dept of ag is mostly interested in consumable goods that end up on the table and since dogs don't fit into that, at least in the meat industry here in the U.S., they probably don't look at poor care as a problem. Easier to sweep it under the rug so to speak. I believe the Amish are not obligated to have Dept. of Ag inspections, they allow it to remain on good terms. There are quite a few exclusionary rulings regarding the amish and ag inspection is one of them. If I find the source to confirm this statement, I will post it. It certainly is a complex issue....

Snf