Akita Inu Puppy at my shelter

edited June 2008 in Rescue
So I am sitting the director of Animal Controls office posting this. We have a less than four month old American Akita Inu sitting in my lap. I am in Providence. Contact me (Barbara I am thinking of you) if you want to be a foster parent or forever parent of this little guy.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Jeez, 4 months old? That's so young for an Akita! Is he neutered? I hope he isn't neutered yet. How did he get there?

----
  • edited June 2008
    He is not neutered. He still has almost all his puppy coat and baby teeth so I would say 3 months. He is quite the little chubster so I have been calling him Porkchop. He climbed up on a table and jumped off. Limping a little. He would let me touch it and continued to eat treats. But I got the supervisor to promise me that if he is still limping tomorrow I can take him to the vet. He and I are in love. Jason wants to kill me...heheh.

I want one of us to save him.

He has a black spot on his tongue. Can Akitas have spotted tongues? His brother was found the day before and is blind. He is actually being trained by the police force to be a scent dog. I tried to convince the sheriff to take him too.
  • edited November -1
    Oh man he's a cutie! I hope that limp gets better fast. :-(
  • edited November -1
    Wouldn't a black spot mean a chow mix?

Then again, "Mouth ‑ Clean, powerful jaws. Tongue pink. Teeth strong with scissors bite ‑ but level bite acceptable. No black spots on tongue. Lips black and heavy but not pendulous."

He's really adorable. I hope you find a home for him soon <3~
  • edited November -1
    Many dogs can have black spots on their tongues without being a mix. Nemo has one, and a few other shibas I know do too. I don't think it's desired but can happen.

Porkchop is a great name, he is so young. I just don't k now what is wrong with people.

If someone on here cannot take him in, do you need any help contacting Akita rescues?
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Brandon, I know Brad contacted a couple Akita rescues for me. I did a little research too on the spot, and Akitas CAN have spots on tongues apparently. It is just considered a fault in show standards. Like poor Urijuro on shibas.

Obviously our little friend here is not going to be a show dog. But I would like him to live with people who understand the needs of such an intelligent, loyal, and BIG dog. Too many chuckleheads get dogs because of their appearance and not their needs.
  • edited November -1
    I emailed Klemko Akita (.org) akita rescue, it seems they only take in from the tri state (PA, NJ, NY) area - and you are in Rhode Island, right?

poor little guy.. but not so poor in your care.. in fact, he's fairly fortunate right now!
  • edited November -1
    I will be in PA next week...
  • edited November -1
    Is he still limping today?
  • edited November -1
    I'm re-emailing my contact.. if they will help or do a referral, I can help transport next week, and I'd be more than happy to!
    do you know the pup's health other than still intact? heartworms? lymes?
    Thanks!!
  • edited July 2008
    We are a municipal shelter they don't vet anything under the assumption that it won't live there long enough...All vetting is part of the adoption fee.

His leg looks much better no limping at all. Here are a couple more pictures of my little boyfriend.
  • edited November -1
    HOW DID I MISS THIS???? I haven't read through the entire post, so I'm not totally caught up, but I would LOVE to foster the baby! I would be worried about Mika's reaction and influence on the baby. But let's definitely talk.
  • edited November -1
    Also, I will contact the akita rescue Keigo is from to see if they can take him....I'm so sorry I'm late on this. I really didn't see it. I have your number. We're going to see a movie tonight, but let's talk tomorrow...Damn Brendon's going to be here for the weekend. If I forget to call, please call me tomorrow night. I have a few deals blowing up in my face, so I'll be a bit preoccupied, but still really wanting to help....
  • edited November -1
    If there wasn't an ocean in the middle...
  • edited November -1
    I'm so glad he's not limping anymore! I hope Barbara can help out!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Alright, pending approval from the Director of animal control, PorkChop is squared away. Thank you all of you for your help and support.
  • edited November -1
    that is beautiful, b/c I got the email back from klemko saying they are at max cap with their fosters.. :/

yay for porkchop!!
  • edited November -1
    wow, that's great! Where is he going?
  • edited November -1
    That be me!!!! I'll know tomorrow. Mad at Dave...grrrrr. Didn't I explain that it's your job to keep me abreast of all the super important post on this forum??? One whole day went by, Dave!

Now, what are we going to name this cutie???
  • edited November -1
    oh... wow! That's so GREAT! He is really cute, I'm glad he is going to a wonderful home like yours! You have Akita experience too... so that makes perfect. :o)

As for a name - I have no idea... he is super cute tho!

I know you're busy but keep us posted tomorrow - please.

----
  • edited November -1
    My bad Barbara, its been a hectic few days for me. I promise I'll do better next time!

I can't wait to hear how it goes with him. Please keep us informed!
  • edited November -1
    Woohoo go Barbara! I give you all my respect, planning a wedding, taking in a foster, and doing everything else you're busy with right now. I wouldn't be able to do it.
  • edited November -1
    how wonderful!! Barbara - you rock!
  • edited November -1
    This made my day.

Leonburger read my mind when he wrote "If there wasn't an ocean in the middle...".
  • edited November -1
    Ooops, I should've noted that I'm just fostering him....we all know how difficult this breed can be and Jessica and I agree that screening should be strict for adoption. I hoping to be able to lug him to work for a few weeks seeing as I go into the office more often now. That would depend on how big he is...

Dave, I forgive you. But you can't let it happen again! *wink*
  • edited November -1
    Golly, thanks for letting me off the hook Barbara. That's just swell. :-P

Any news? Do you know if/when you'll be able to get him?
  • edited November -1
    YES!!! I will be able to get him. Jessica left me a message. I'll have to pick him up in RI next weekend, but I'm fine with that.

I need some name suggestions. I'm not loving Porkchop.
  • edited November -1
    the black muzzle really reminds me of a bear - I would try to find names in the vein
  • edited November -1
    That's great Barbara!!!!!!

I've been looking at his picture trying to come up with a name. Nothing really stands out, but he kinda looks like a Winston to me.
  • edited November -1
    yogi!! he was a bear!

i'm so glad this story had a happy ending with you fostering!! your dogs are gonna have a blast with the puppy!