I am pretty heartbroken. Need to share

edited August 2008 in Rescue
So I have two dogs at the shelter whom I love. Hans and Jerry are two of the sweetest dogs I know. Hans is likely 90lbs and came to us knowing "sit", "down","stay","roll over", and "paw". He loves to play in the kiddie pool and is a snuggle bug. He also shows no aggression toward other dogs.
Hans
Hans2

Jerry while not being the best with other dogs, is such a care bear and love he will even try to kiss you while still not surrendering his rawhide chew. He also is quite a kiddie pool fan. He is also maybe only 35lbs, just a wee guy who needs some love and training.
Jerry3
Jerry2

We had arranged with this woman who does rescue here in Rhode Island that she was going to adopt Hans, and foster Jerry and find him a forever home. She told us she needed us to hold them for a week while she finished throwing a fundraiser. Well week came and went and she told us she needed us to hold them while she took care of her friend with MS. Two weeks go by and she now emails us that her husband is leaving her and that she is not taking them.

Hans and Jerry are both showing signs of kennel stress, Hans is acting like he has forgotten ALL of his training and both are just not themselves.

If anyone knows a rescue who would take these babies before it's too late for them please let me know.

I am so afraid that they are now so stressed that we can't turn them back and they will end up just being another pit bull statistic. These boys deserve better than that.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Awww, I'm sorry to hear about this Jess. I really hope you can find someone to take them <3~
  • edited November -1
    Jessica I know and understand your heartbreak. Watching dogs deteriorate in cement cells is the worst. Unfortunately I do not know of any pit rescues around here that would be looking to take dogs from that far away. There are too many around here that need help.
  • edited November -1
    Ditto, thats what all the rescues that take APBT/mixes say too, there are already too many in our general area..

I posted to the Bully Breed Coalition forum, in case anyone knows of a new england rescue..
  • edited November -1
    I posted on the dogster APBT forum too, its worth a shot, right?
  • edited November -1
    I appreciate the cross posting. Thank you.
  • edited November -1
    that's heart breaking. :o(
  • edited November -1
    Yeah I am beyond bummed. I got the email and just couldn't stop crying. Had this woman told me three weeks ago that she wasn't able to take them, I would have been actively finding them a home. There are a number of people I would have adopted them to instead of newer dogs at the shelter.
  • edited November -1
    Sad! They are such cuties! Keep us posted on them, I really hope they find a place to call home.
  • edited November -1
    I knew I shouldnt of opened this. I hate it and want them both! If I only didnt have a husband...
    I so so so hope you find someone for them both.
  • edited November -1
    That's awful. Those poor dogs. Poor woman, too, if her husband's leaving her.
  • edited November -1
    Perhaps he is leaving her because he couldn't count on her and she really let him down.

That is what she did to these poor dogs.
  • edited November -1
    That seems a bit harsh Jessica. I understand you are upset, but I don't think you'd want someone taking shots at you if you were going through a divorce.
  • edited November -1
    Here is the reality. Divorces are not like car accidents. They are not sudden occurrences. Meaning if her marriage was falling apart, unless she was delusional (and I know this person she is not delusional) she had some inclination that it was a possibility. And perhaps she should not have asked us to HOLD these dogs for three weeks assuring us that she was coming to get them when we could have been placing them .

And to be blunt, if my actions directly jeopardized the lives of animals, then I would absolutely take whatever shots were sent my way. As I know myself well enough to say that I do not make promises I cannot keep. When I was attacked by the dog, and my dog needed surgery, I still drove Honey to her rescue organization with the use of one arm (and I drive stick ) 2 hours away, because I promised to do it.

Even though I was fearful after being attacked be that dog, I went back to the shelter and got right back in the cages because I committed myself to them.

I understand that marriages end. I have had to pick myself up by my bootstraps enough times. But I have never bailed on someone who needed me, regardless of who I was burying, nursing in hospice, or licking my own wounds.

A broken heart is NEVER an excuse for turning your back on those who need.

Harsh...yes.
    True...absolutely
    I had to learn that the hard way. She apparently will to. Unfortunately lives may be lost in the process.
  • edited November -1
    Divorces may not be like car accidents but sometimes people getting left by someone is. I don't know this ladies situation though, but I do know people who have come home and their significant other is gone. That isn't really the issue here though.

I guess I have a hard time with you applying the blame to her for the situation that these dogs are in and their future outlook. She did not breed them, she did not sell them or give them away to an unfit home, and she did not dump them in the streets or surrender them to the shelter. She probably should have told herself three weeks ago "you know I can't do this, I have too much on my plate" and then she could have been honest with you about her chances of helping the dogs.
  • edited November -1
    I do know her situation, and it was not a surprise.

And you are exactly right, she did not breed them or abuse them. But she did ADOPT them, have them held in concrete cells for nearly a month and then walk away.

And a value I hold in very high regard is honesty. And again you are right, "she could have been honest with us about her chances of helping the dogs." and she was neither honest with us or herself.

So when I have to watch these dogs get killed because their kennel stress has pushed them so far gone; when I could have placed them in homes had I been given a chance, I am very at peace assigning responsibility to the person who promised them a chance and took it away from them.