Dogs at the Dane County Humane Society (Pictures) - Updated 07-27-2009

Comments

• edited November -1
    Brandon, I have to know what your camera is, your pictures are beautiful! I was too busy looking at them to notice if somebody else already asked this!
  • edited November -1
    I have a Nikon D50, all of the photos in this thread were taken with the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens.

They stopped making the D50 about two years ago, it has been replaced with newer models. D40x, D60, D80.
  • edited August 2008
    There is a new dog in that everyone loves. He is a stray so we don't know his story, we can only tell that it might have been a rough one. He has pretty much nothing left of his ears as they were cut down as far as I have ever seen, and getting around isn't as easy as it should be because he is missing his "forearm" section of his right front leg. However his spirit is not broken, he will love on you, sit in your lap and whine with joy as you pet him, and wag his tail like mad when you scratch his butt.

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-18

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-16

He also still loves to play:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-19

There are a lot of other dogs right now too. That guy is my favorite though.

Puppy!
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-37

Mean face -- RIP -- 08-26-2008:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-30

B.C.
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-2

Some sort of Pappilon mix, a little spitfire:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-35

Sweet, shy, Hound mix:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-4

A real young Momma who came in:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-28

More:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606797218071/
  • edited November -1
    OH MY GOD!!!

Brandon, I love him!

Please please please keep us updated on him. Does he have a name?
  • edited November -1
    He has no official name yet since he came in as a stray. They allow us to suggest names, I suggested Percy (short for Perseverance).

I'll keep everyone updated on him. I think he stay holding period should be over now. So he should be up for full medical examination and a behavior assessment soon.
  • edited November -1
    God I hope he is up for adoption!
  • edited November -1
    By my count. If I worked at your humane society, I would've adopted 8 of these dogs!!!!
    Mamita would be in my house in a heartbeat!!!!!
    And definitely keep us posted on the first pup. Such a sweet look on his face! Poor Baby.
  • edited November -1
    oh my word, Percy is a fabulous name, I hope they use it. Keep up updated on him! He deserves the world. They all do.

As always, great pictures!!!
  • edited November -1
    Hi Brandon
    I enjoy these pics!
    The white pup, "Percy" might be a Dogo Argentino which would explain the short ear crop. He'll be fine as a Tri-Pod. I know an Australian Shepherd who was born with a similar handicap and he's still leaping around for frisbees!

FYI: some of the flock guardian breeds (eg. Caucasian Ovcharka and Central Asian Ovcharka) traditionally have their ears completely cropped down to the skull as well.

I used to live in Madison (I went to UW) and miss it very much. Is Dr. Sandra Newberry still the DVM at the shelter? Do they still have that crazy ringworm cat project going on? I got to dip cats one summer. Quite the experience!

That Cairn puppy is a cutie and the little Papillion thing looks like a riot!

Enjoy your time with them and keep the pictures coming!
  • edited November -1
    Barbara - I have a feeling that once I own a house, it's going to fill up pretty fast, well, if we can get Nemo to accept other dogs. That might take a few trips to a behavorist. However going in and checking the adoption board and seeing the names of all the dogs that have gone home is a great feeling.

Indy recently went home too, which is nice, he was there awhile.
  • edited November -1
    Sarah - Percy could be Dogo Argentino, but I have my doubts, since well, I've never seen one around here. And even if he is, he is labeled pit and will likely stay that way. Sometimes they get things wrong, like a Silken Terrier was once called a Yorkie, and they never corrected it. The dog still got adopted though, so that's all that mattered.

The Carin (Maurry) got adopted already, cute puppies always go fast.

Yes the cat ringworm project is still going on. I don't know much about it though, other than they keep the ringworm cats in a pink trailer separate from the rest of the building. I believe that Dr. Newberry has moved out of state to a different job, but I can't confirm.
  • edited November -1
    Yay, more Brandon spam! I can't believe the story of that first guy. Its hard to feel bad about your own problems when you see a dog in that condition that clearly just loves life. I wish all the best for Percy (and the others too).

Great shots as usual.
  • edited November -1
    I agree on the Argentino. I can't really tell his size, but the head and the white scream Dogo Argentino to me. Great dogs, they are!
    He's very good looking and that misfortune changed nothing on his love for life. I also agree with Sarah when she says he'll be OK with the front leg. Far form desirable but I think it would be worse if it was a back leg. I wish him someone who truly appreciates him and his huge heart.
  • edited November -1
    I HATE how many pits are in rescue/shelters. Such amazing creatures. Brandon-you have to keep us updated. I have never seen ears cropped (butchered) that low! What an amazing spirit! I cant wait to have more pits in my life.
  • edited August 2008
    A few more dogs from Sunday.

I'm posting this one large because you can see me in his eyes:

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-60

He was a great photo subject, a funny little terrier. However he was an adolescent in-tact, rat terrier, he was a huge shit talker to dogs on the other side of the fence:

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-61

His shy lady friend that he was surrendered with:

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-59

The following two were found roaming together out in the country, I'm guessing dumped. They are well mannered, know commands and in really good shape. If they were "missing" it seems someone would have been looking for them:

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-47
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-42

Husky/mutt:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-49

Surrendered. Reason: No longer wanted.
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-51

A little wire haired guy:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-64

This guy (or gal?) was sweet. Very small, but enjoyed chewing on a chicken jerky treat for a long, long time:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-67

The rest:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606797218071/
  • edited November -1
    AWW! That husky mutt is adorable with his/her little squirrel. I wish I had more land. I would take them all.
  • edited November -1
    I am such a sucker for TERRIERS! Even if they are terrorists!
  • edited November -1
    the blind husky has the most amazing expression - just enjoying the sun - even if he is no longer wanted.
    These pictures are awesome - you definitely see character in them, not some generic shelter polaroid.
  • edited August 2008
    Jen - I don't think he is blind, he gets around way too well. Charlie is his name, he has the lightest blue eyes that I have seen on any dog and they kind of roll up to show the whites when he looks up, which makes him look blind.
  • edited November -1
    That's a really cool shot with you in that terrier's eyes!

That last guy is adorable. He looks like a stuffed animal. :-)
  • edited August 2008
    The white husky looks EXACTLY like the the husky that attacked me at the shelter. EXACTLY like him. Weird. None the less that breaks my heart that someone would just dump their pet. Especially knowing how much huskies suffer in shelter environments.
  • edited November -1
    Charlie is doing well so far, much calmer than many of the huskies that come in and constantly jump off the walls or howl. Currently his status is "Pending Assessment-Behavior", same as Percy, who is officially property of the humane society and not a stray.

There are a lot of dogs right now though, so dogs can hang out in that status for a few days as the behaviorists work their way through testing all the dogs.
  • edited November -1
    An update on Percy (who they are calling Popeye), he is waiting for pickup from a breed rescue. I'm trying to find out which rescue so I can keep track of him if they have a website. So he is going to make it out, and that makes me smile.
  • edited November -1
    YAY PERCY! (I like that better than Popeye.) I am glad that he is going to get out and get a second chance. Definitely keep us updated if you can.
  • edited November -1
    Brandon, you are so incredibly taleted! I love that first pic. Sooo cool.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks.

I have to e-mail the behaviorist to find out about what rescue he is going to. She doesn't usually answer my e-mails. I think she finds me to be a bit nosy, and she is kind of territorial.
  • edited November -1
    Charlie (Husky) was picked up by a rescue, so he is out of the shelter.

I think that Percy was also picked up, he wasn't in his kennel at all yesterday when I was there, but it was possible that he could have been at AMS. From what my friend at the shelter told me, the lady who is taking him might not be a "rescue" per se, but is interested in taking him and turning him into a therapy dog. That's the word around the shelter anyhow.
  • edited November -1
    Ain't nothing wrong with a therapy dog! Yay Percy.

And I am very happy to here Charlie is going somewhere where they can tend to his needs. Huskies shouldn't be in kennels.
  • edited November -1
    Both outcomes have me very happy. I really hope things work out for Percy, he just loves people. I know he could make people feel better.
  • edited September 2008
    Percy did not get picked up yet. As far as I know, the same plan is still happening, but she hasn't come to get him yet. Not sure what's up.

Some dogs from yesterday:

I think this guy is a Pit/Husky mix, his name is Rocky, he WAS awesome. He didn't pass his behavior tests though. Crap.

RIP Rocky, I will miss you. 09-04-2008

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2990

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2996

And this guy. IT'S A SHIBA CORGI MIX! What an odd looking guy.

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2870

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2874

I love this guys smile, he came in with a German Shepard (next picture):

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2930

Big huge ears, the dog also needs to gain about 25lbs:
    DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2922

This is how they roll:

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2936

If you give this guy butt scratches, he starts high step marching around. It's pretty funny:

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2967

How good looking is this guy? I love his markings:

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2898

Mr. Funny Face:
    DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2853

There are more:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606951651420/

I might post some more tomorrow when bored at work.