My first mission for the Shiba Rescue: Meeting Kalie

edited October 2008 in Rescue
I went down to the Chemung County SPCA this afternoon to meet and evaluate Kalie for the Shiba Rescue. She is a very sweet, quiet little girl, who greeted me with a lick of my fingers though the bars on her cage, and ignored me for the next 20 minutes even though I was holding her leash. I found that anyone who approached her quietly was fine but those who approached her too quickly, frightened her. She has developed a close bond with the employees and volunteers at the shelter, they all adore her and for them; she comes, sits, and goes in her crate on command. I on the other hand, was ignored for the first half of my visit. Kalie was very interested in her surroundings while we were in a room together. I had to keep her on a leash just to keep her near me. She didn't seem frightened of my presence, just uninterested. Kalie had no interest in playing in any manner, I don't believe she knows how. Treats, food, sight of her leash and positive attention however, she loves and wags her tail happily. Kalie has skin and digestive allergies, her coat has a slightly greasy feel, and her nails do need trimmed asap. I didn't involve myself in trimming of her nails, as she seems to have a frailty about her and I did not want to upset her. Kalie also has an ear infection that the shelter is currently treating. Other than these disruptions, Kalie seems to be in good health, and is certainly eating a healthy amount. I watched her devour her delicious Salmon and Potatoes dinner and lick the bowl clean. During her time at the shelter, Kalie has bonded closely with Leanne, the shelter manager. Kalie is a different dog around Leanne, she's happily, and will hop up on Leanne's lap, tail wagging, with her sad expression subsiding.

Leanne stated that Kalie is housebroken; shortly thereafter this statement, Kalie began whining at the door, so I decided to take her for a walk. Kalie became excited when I opened the door to take her outside. She became much more outgoing and very excited about our outside adventure. Kalie walked well on leash, she didn't not pull as we walked, but occasionally became distracted, and had to "check things out." I had to correct her path when this happened and she casually continued with my lead. Kalie seemed to respect and recognize me much more after our walk. While talking to Leanne and getting ready to head out, I handed the leash back to Leanne. As we chatted more about Kalie; She walked over to me, leaned up against my legs, and let me pet her as she licked my hand.

Kalie is very quiet, devoted and loving, a complete SWEETHEART, I fell in love with the innocent little girl during the time I spent with her. The best way to describe her is a silent shadow. In my personal opinion, I'd like to see Kalie in a quiet home free of children and rambunctious animals with owner/s who are willing to devote a lot of time socializing and training her, as well as taking care of her special needs. She'll be a great addition to a household such as this. I do think that she should be placed in foster care immediately. Kalie seems more comfortable around familiar people, and not too terribly fond of being alone. If I didn't have a 7 month old Shiba at home who'd terrorize her, I'd take her with me in a heartbeat.

All in all, Kalie will be a great dog to the right home, it'd be great to see her be able to loosen up, and learn to play fetch, although this may take a lot of time and patience. I'm very happy to have the opportunity to meet and hopefully help Kalie!

Mylie was jealous when I came home, sniffing & running away, sniffing & running away... :) Sad little Kalie made her look forward to Mylie's hyper persona and easily sociable attitude. I notice I keep saying "little" to describe Kalie, let me explain... Mylie, is probably 10lbs heavier than Kalie, bulkier, with more of a healthy look to her weight and coat. I must be doing something right :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Sounds like a great visit. She must be in an awesome shelter to get such a nice dinner! I hope she finds a forever home really quickly.
  • edited November -1
    What a great day and a an awesome feeling knowing that you made a difference and that Mylie is just as spoiled as we all told you...LOL : )
  • edited November -1
    Wow, what shelter is this? My shelter dogs are fed the cheapest crap on the market. It is horrifying.
  • edited November -1
    I too hope Kalie can fine a good home quickly. Best of luck to Kalie, you, and everyone at the shelter!
  • edited November -1
    I'm not sure if they feed all of the dogs this way or were catering to Kalie due to her allergies. Either way, they were great people who really pay attention to the animals needs. The shelter itself was okay, it did not compare to Tomkin's County, but made Cayuga County SPCA look like a dump. If anybody ever gets a chance I would highly recommend taking a trip to the Tompkins County SPCA... It's unbelievably clean, the animals are kept in their own decent sized rooms, not cages, all the animals are given toys and playgrounds, and there's a ton of land which they exercise the dogs on. But then again, there's a crap load of money in Tompkins County which funds this place.

Actually, I found a few pictures online:

• edited November -1
    Hmmm they look like they have more space than I do...
  • edited November -1
    The fact that they have a "caretaker's residence" says it all. :-)
  • edited November -1
    I think some of my family must have lived in Ithaca back in the day...(last name is Tompkins). I should live there with that nice, nice shelter. Wow. Poor pup, I hope she gets out of the shelter soon and into a good home.
  • edited November -1
    I cannot even begin to tell you how jealous I am.
  • edited November -1
    Great visit! Kalie sounds like a doll, I hope she gets pulled soon!
    It sounds like a really great place, as far as SPCAs go - just the layout and diet choice make my Humane Society shelter look like a complete dump!!
  • edited November -1
    Wow, you are out by Tompkins County SPCA? That is the SPCA that Nathan Winograd turned around and wrote about in his book Redemption (which everyone should read!). It's no-kill and probably the most forward thinking SPCA (shelter) in the country.
  • edited November -1
    Also, the money funds the place because of the good work they do. Before Winograd got there, the place was a shithole (like most shelters around the country) that had an extremely high kill rate. Getting that place turned around, and getting the public involved through volunteers, satellite adoptions, reasonable hours for working people to show up, is what helps get people motivated to donate.
  • edited October 2008
    Wow. I wish I was rich.

I would build a shelter just like that. It just breaks my heart to see the conditions of the shelters around here. These animals deserve so much better. Brandon, I think I am going to order that book.

Edit: Oh! By the way, Melissa (sorry to get side tracked). Congrats on your first rescue assignment! It sounds like Kalie is a doll. I hope she is able to find a comfortable and loving home soon. Good luck!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats on your first mission, it sounds like it went very well.

The Tompkins SPCA looks great!
  • edited November -1
    What a nice shelter. Shibas do not always play well outside of their home zone. Since she is in a shelter she probably is pretty sad.

I hope she finds a loving home
    Snf