Breed: Shiba Inu
Sex: Dog
AKC: NP 18980602
Date of Birth: August 21, 2007
Breeder: Laura Payton
Sire: Ch Akio Chousei Sou Morningstar
Dam: Ch Fanfair's Esprit De Corps At Eubar
Owner: Mark Peterson & Debra Peterson & Laura Payton

Is it wrong that I hope the shibas don't place? I mean the only thing that I can see is that it means an explosion of people wanting them.

Comments

• edited November -1
    This is what they have posted on the Westminster about the Shiba:
    Though small in stature, Shiba Inu are brave and determined dogs. Originally bred to flush birds and small game, and occasionally used to hunt wild boar, they are now kept primarily as pets. However, they have a strong predisposition to escape at any opportunity. They can never be reliably trained to return when called, nor can they ever be trusted off lead. They also tend to be dog aggressive, so care must be taken to protect them and to protect other dogs from them. They are a healthy, intelligent breed, constantly providing challenges to their owners.
  • edited November -1
    Okay....my only complaint, is that the Standard Poodle always seems to win...Although, I was quite surprised the Scottish Deerhound won...that's a bit outside the box for westminster!
  • edited November -1
    The non-sporting group is so varied, I think it's really tough to call. It will be interesting when the groups are rearranged and shibas fall into the Nordic group. I still really don't want shibas to win.
  • edited November -1
    That's an excellent description of the shiba, IMHO. ~
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, I feel the same way about the dogs...less exposure is better for the breed! That darn shiba puppy cam is probably what prompted that osbourne girl to buy a shiba.
  • edited November -1
    Ban is a gorgeous shiba boy.

That Deerhound has been doing really well and I was tickled to see it.

When I saw the poodle took the group, that's the same thing I thought to myself, "Another poodle wins, big suprise."

I am bummed out the Terv didn't take the group, Spy is an awesome boy with some nice genes.

Is AKC actually going for a Nordic group? About time.
  • edited November -1
    I heard about that, that the AKC is debating whether or not to make it 10 instead of 7. thinking of splitting the sporting, hound, and add the northern group for the spitz types.

http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/group_realignment.cfm
  • edited November -1
    I don't like this part in the description:
    "They also tend to be dog aggressive, so care must be taken to protect them and to protect other dogs from them."
    Even my shelter manager asked that after we got two dog aggressive shibas in within a month of each other - "are they all like that". No, but people make them like that.
    its a cop-out. They should say "care must be taken to constantly and consistently socialize throughout their lifetime".
    That would be a more responsible description for a dog that gets picked for looks alone in the dog store window.

I hope the group gets realigned, the spitz stick together at the dog park, why not in the show ring? :)
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks LJ for the update! All the Shibas at the show deserve credit for being there.

Yeah the poodles are a popular show dog and usually take the crown more often than not. Most of the old time judges are not really familiar with the Shiba I think. Regardless of what one tells you Judging is such a subjective thing. People go with what they know. It is interesting that most of the final line up last night were all black dogs. Black dogs tend to get a lot of attention in the show ring I think mainly because of the lack of contrast on their body making everything blend in so it looks more perfect than it really is. I have to give the Scottie exhibitor credit though for being able to get his dog to turn on the charm when the judge took a final look.

IMHO poodles stand out because of the ridiculous grooming and their pandering tendencies. (If both of these breeds (Shiba and Poodle) were in the same political arena they would be on the farthest side from each other as one can get in most every aspect.) A Shiba in its natural form has an understated beauty and next to a poodle when side by side it comes across like a wall flower. I don't think they should be in the same class at all. With that being said I think it is safe to say if a judge favors poodles they really will be disinterested in a Shiba, keeping in mind the whole thing is subjective.

I believe the UK shows classify the spitz breeds together, so I am looking forward to what's in store when and if the change over is made.

Good point Jen... as we all know early socialization is the key to keeping harmony among dogs regardless of breed. As far as temperaments I know a lot of other breed show folks have misconceptions about the Shiba and dog to dog aggression. Most think all Shibas are aggressive and that simply is not the case. Even terriers can be a pain in the butt with other dogs, particularly of the same gender. I have seen more terriers during a show go at it than I have ever seen of Shibas at ring side. Actually when I think about it, I have seen some wacky behaving poodles too so hey why should a single breed be pegged.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I've always been curious as to why they allow certain breeds to be shown with "show cuts" as is the case with the Poodle. I understand that grooming is necessary, but I would much rather see the dogs in their more natural state as nature intended them to be. The poodle, IMHO, with that cut...looks obnoxiuos.

Yeah for creating a SPITZ group! I'm always dissapointed that they are often overlooked and have always felt they deserve to be in their own category.
  • edited November -1
    I'm crossing my fingers for a Spitz group. I was watching the Westminster dog show on TV and I didn't even see a Shiba Inu at all when they put up the Toy group (maybe I missed it)?

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    I think Shiba are in the Non-Sporting group.
  • edited November -1
    For your viewing pleasure!!

Westminster 2009 Breed Judging - Shiba Inu
    http://video.westminsterkennelclub.org/player/?id=1002581
  • edited November -1
    AHHH so many fuzzy little butts in one place... I love it :o)
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the link!
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    I'm surprised I saw a shiba with a white tip on the tail in there (young male handler). I thought that was considered a fault? Maybe it's because Ichi's is lacking and most video shots of the dogs are trotting towards and away from the camera, but I can't help but think...some of those males had big nuts.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    lmao @ Jesse! ~
  • edited November -1
    Jesse-Shiba are not a toy breed.

If I were a judge, I would accept a white tail tip anytime over a more serious conformation fault like missing teeth, poor movement, or a bad front end. I think a coat pattern error is down on the list of faults as long as the dog is completely standard otherwise and immaculate. You can breed the white tip out, but you can't fix a crappy front, add missing teeth, or even easily breed out bad knees. Of course, the dog would have to be darn near perfect with that white tail tip being the only noticable flaw.
  • edited November -1
    I thought the white tipped tail was allowed in the standard?

I thought it was preferred to not have it, but it was allowed? lol
  • edited November -1
    Hey Linday,
    Thanks for the clarification, I forgot how they were categorized. Toy just popped in my head because of size, I forgot there was a "non-sporting" group. Either way, I consider both groups a misclassification of the breed.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure it's allowed, but not preferred.

I would really love a Nordic / spitz group, that'd be awesome!~
  • edited November -1
    According to the Nippo standard (I know AKC is different, but hey) a white tail tip is acceptable.

http://www.shibas.org/newstand/urajiro.html
  • edited November -1
    Well my Koji has a white tip and its more than acceptable to me!! : )
  • edited November -1
    Here is a link to a general photo in 1/12 slide show. If you look carefully in ring 5 the Shibas are being shown.
    The dogs better like a crowd cause it was packed!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123422146920565373.html#articleTabs%3Dslideshow

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I can't believe the amount of chalk they use on some of those dogs. Seriously, if the dog can't win on it's own merit and the handlers have to cover up all these flaws, should that animal really be bred???
  • edited February 2009
    Here's the video.

http://video.westminsterkennelclub.org/player/?id=1002581

They are all strung up like the Toys.