Mark Your Calendars for 3/7-8 2009 (Seattle) - Blurry Spam :)

The Seattle Kennel Club is hosting one of its two annual All Breed Dog Shows at the Qwest Field Events Center March 7th and 8th 2009.

This will be the first dog show I attend in person and not TIVO, so I'm excited! Given the number of shiba breeders in this state, I'm going to assume that we can anticipate a good showing for the Shibas!

http://www.seattlekennelclub.org/

Comments

• edited November -1
    Oh I am definitely coming (from Spokane). Maybe the world famous Ike will be there? :)
  • edited November -1
    I am planning on making an appearance at the Shiba ring on Saturday definately. I don't know when or where yet as entires are still open. Once they are closed you can check out the link to the judging schedule/premium list from the Seattle Kennel Club website. Parking is about $10 and the admission is like $7 something about, it's on the website. I was politely informed after the last show that it is apparently not good dog show etiquette to walk around with un-entered dogs. Therefore, Ike will probably not be there (I may bring him in a crate just for him to get used to everything, but I do want to be able to move around and not have to worry about what he is doing also). I would, however, be glad to meet up with anybody that's comming over, with Ike in tow if the rest of you will also be bringing dogs. If anyone needs a place to stay, I have spare rooms. Regardless, lets all plan to spectate ringside of the Shiba entries, and also take lots of pictures. I'm stoked that more people will be showing up!
  • edited November -1
    Oh, how cool is that!! I'll get to meet some of these famous little pupsters!
  • edited November -1
    Ohhhh!!!!! I really want to come see everyone... but I would be sad to leave the Keiko at home - maybe we'll come up and get a hotel and venture to the show with the monster crated in the room... have to clear it with James ;o)
  • edited November -1
    We could go to the show sans dogs (that makes me angry, it's a dog show, why can't other dogs be there! How is a dog that will eventually be shown supposed to get used to the sights/sounds?) and then hit the Robinswood Dog park in Bellelvue? There is usually a lot of shibas there.
  • edited November -1
    I have no doggies to bring, sorry.....
  • edited November -1
    Saturday March 7th
    Shiba Inu are ring 9 at 11:00am

Sunday March 8th
    Shiba Inu are ring 9 at 10:30am

Look forward to seeing some great dogs, maybe even some forum members.
  • edited November -1
    Interesting, we have a double show that weekend too. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Figures.... my mom decides to FINALLY come visit that weekend *sigh* Not that I don't love her, but ... ya know ;o)
  • edited November -1
    Best wishes for all the weekend warriors heading to the shows.

For the Seattle crew, it looks like a moderate shiba entry, but about 2000 dogs in total. I will have something on me that says "Ike" somewhere (I know, I know, it's pathetic). Anyways, I'll just be gawking at the dogs and chatting ringside. Happy weekend all!
  • edited March 2009
    I didn't see you :( , but then again, we almost missed the Shiba's entirely, but got there just in time! Am sure though we'll meet up at a "meet-up" sometime soon! The Shiba's gave quite the show and there were plenty of people on hand to watch, wow, this little dog has quite the following!

We got some photos, but I wasn't sure if you were allowed to do flash...so I went without...thus I got only a few pics to work with..the least blurry of the group. (Can you use a flash at a dog show??). I thought it would be distracting to the pups.

This was my first dog show, and it was without a doubt a neat experience. We met some WONDERFUL people and pooches, and had great fun getting the doggie kisses. The hardest part was perhaps seeing the Eskies...got a little misty eyed....but did meet the breeder I had been trying to contact...she's got an excellent program and was pretty confident we could be get a pup the beginning part of 2010. This way, I can get puppy 1 (our shiba) trained up and going before bringing in a second one too soon.

Speaking of breeders, we also talked with our Shiba breeder, Leslie! That REALLY lifted my spirits...she has successfully bred two females, w/ a third in the works. In a nutshell....we can definately expect a pup this spring!!!! Took all my self control to not perform a back hand spring and a few cartwheels over that news! I feel like the expectant mom who now has a firm due date!

All in all, the SKC Show 2009 was a roaring good time!! I also found a new breed that totally intrigued me...I hadn't ever seen/heard of it, but she was a cutie!!! The Norwegian Buhund (the blonde spitz pictured below).

SKC 2009 - Aly all pupped up
    SKC 2009 - Judging Rings
    SKC 2009 - Amer. Eskimo
    SKC 2009 - Amer. Eskimo
    2009 SKC - Amer. Eskimo
    SKC 2009 - Norw. Buhund
    SKC Kennel Club 2009 - Shiba Inu
    SKC Kennel Club 2009 - Shiba Inu
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah on your puppy news! I bet you are just dying to see the baby. How exciting.

Sucks we missed each other, I was hoping I would bump into you but there were so many people and so many places to sit/stand/get lost. There were so many Buhund there, too, I was really amazed. I had only ever seen 1 or 2 at a show, but never the 8 or so they had there.

DISAPPOINTING shiba entries (the dogs were nice, there just weren't nearly as many I had hoped would show). I am glad you got a nice pic of Cheryl's girl (in the green), love her tail. The loud speakers kept saying "No flash photography" so I kind of skipped on the pics. I hung out a little in the grooming area after the showing on Saturday. It was really terrible, my mom and I were forced to play with some of Cheryl's pups. It was just miserable ;)

I was petting the Eskies this Sunday AM while waiting for the Shiba Inu to start. Apparently AKC recognizes a toy and a mini version now, I had no idea.

Here are some of the photos I got of the dogs that were at the show. The outside pics are of the weekends prior Shiba Meetup for kicks. Some of the same dogs were at the show, I just wasn't able to get pictures at the actual event, so here are the Shiba Inu of Seattle:
  • edited March 2009
    Some Meetup pics pre-show. Many of the dogs in the pics are related to Ike, half sibs, full sibs, cousins and so on, I was getting confused with all the look alikes. Anyways, don't mean to hijack the show thread-seemed a good place for the pictures.
  • edited November -1
    LOL! Guess I might have tried listening to the announcer for flash clarification...figured though it wasn't allowed! There certainly weren't as many Shibas as I thought there would be. Guess part of that is that Leslie couldn't enter any of hers (she explained the all important rules to me).

I looked up the Buhund and discovered that they are now being fully recognized by the AKC as of January 1, 2009! How exciting! I hope to learn more about this breed...the one I met was really sweet and so handsome! I just learned the new rules about the Eskie as well...kind of bummed about that really....I tend to favor the standard size :)...breeding starts to get kind of weird, I think, when you start messing about with size.

Thanks for the meet-up pics!! Bummed I missed that one! That's one good looking field of shibas!!!
  • edited November -1
    To me it's too designer....next thing will be a tea-cup eskie, how sad, and just one more animal to add to the puppy mill line-up. Cool that you know about teh buhund! I'm new to this breed, but I was intrigued....especially since it's a herding dog, which for a spitz, is quite different and unique I think. I'd like to see one performing in agility. I looked up buhund breeders and didn't find much, but I'm going to keep my eyes open. Wish I had the space to be a breeder, but that won't be a reality until we move in the next few years...next home will definatley have acreage! I Don't think I could ever get into showing in the ring, I'd be more the agility or obediance type person, which I love. I'm thinking I might look into the CGC program, both for me and my daughter when she gets a little older (she really wants to work with dogs).

You're doing agility with Ike?? Are you planning on perhaps going into conformation?? Yeah, I asked Leslie if she had any dogs there and she just kind of laughed.....technically, no.....not really.....

One can get a pretty good sense of what her kids look like all grown up that's for sure! I'm curious as to who she will pick out for us, all I know is that it will be a boy. No idea from which litter yet she will pick....two expecting females, and another one in the works...love is in the air in redmond! LOL! Exciting time of year....this will be the first time I will actually be part of the early socializtion (pre 8 weeks) of one of my pups, so I am beyond thrilled with that prospect.