Fernando

edited February 2008 in Rescue

Posted by JessicaRabbit:

---- 

Okay, I need a hand.

I just got emailed from the adoption coordinator at animal control. Fernando doesn't have much time left. If you know anyone on the east coast who is interested. Or on the west coast willing to travel. Please have them contact me or Amy. Ir they are somewhere on the East Coast, I will adopt him out and deliver him to them. Please please please help.

This is the bulletin I posted on Myspace. Feel free to post it anywhere and everywhere.

When I first met him, he wouldn't stop licking me through his cage. He is one of those special spirits who touches your heart instantly.

I just got this from Amy from volunteer services of Providence. She coordinates the adoptions at Providence Animal control. He is starting to get very stressed. He NEEDS our help. Please if you can foster him, or adopt him, call Amy. At the very least send this to every animal lover you know.

She does her best to get these pups the chances they deserve.

DO NOT GET MAD AT HER!! SINCE SHE STARTED THERE MORE DOGS HAVE BEEN SAVED THAN EVER. REMEMBER THIS IS THE CITY POUND.

I will be there Friday volunteering. I am praying to walk in and hear that he has been taken in by some amazing person who wants to love him forever.

I can't let him die.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Feb 5, 2008 8:30 AM

Subject:

To: jessica berndt ..

Hi Jessica,

Fernando is getting really stressed in the shelter, he's losing weight and his time is running out. I've attached his pictures and below is some info about him.

Fernando was picked up as a stray on 11/12. He is one sweet, playful dog. He has a lot of energy and it's all positive-his disposition is very, very nice and he is very affectionate. He seems housebroken and good with other dogs. He likes to play with rope toys and needs plenty of exercise, but isn't as high-maintenance as some dogs like him we've seen. He'd be a terrific best friend. Fernando is starting to get really stressed being in the shelter environment. He is losing weight and getting depressed. I am looking for an experienced foster or adoptive home for him. If interested please contact Amy at aimless123@gmail.com or call 401-941-6830.

Comments

• edited November -1

Such a cute face!  I do hope Fernando finds a home. 

I have to tell you, after visiting Petfinder.com for those critters listed under the Volunteer Services of Providence Chapter, I am shocked to see how many they have listed as "Urgent" such as Fernando.  I do hope that as folks are told about Fernando that they also are made aware of how many more there are under the same circumstances there. 

I will never understand people sometimes.  My heart goes out to Fernando, Mama Cass, Brody, Scooby Doo, Deacon, Henry, Happy Bobby, and Lady; all listed under this shelter under "Urgent" status.  I do hope they find the love that we all claim to possess.  If only someone there in Providence could call upon the citizens of their great city to act promptly.   I will do my best to pass the word on.

Best Wishes, Ron

• edited November -1
    Jessica - how old is Fernando?
  • edited November -1
    Those eyes are so deep, someone has to fall for them.
  • edited November -1

Oh, Jessica, you have no idea how much I wish this were happening a year or two down the road!  Noah and I really want to get into fostering, especially dogs from areas that are high-kill or not pitbull friendly.  I just love his sweet face, if I could, I would take him in a heartbeat.  I will try to spread the word for you, though!  Does he have a listing on petfinder?  

• edited November -1
    Jess have you gone on the bully boards on myspace or the BSL boards?
  • edited November -1

I am on all the bully boards. It is hard because as Ron pointed out, there are so many urgent cases there. I take the most heart string tugging and then when people ask I point out that he is one of many.

Heartbreaking statistic-1 in 500 pitbulls find a home. That includes breeder pits. 

• edited November -1

This is where Fernando and so many other amazing dogs are

PAC

Fernando  

• edited November -1
    UGH!  Im a little late but I posted bulletin on myspace.  Sorry I didnt feel good yesterday.
  • edited November -1

Jessica I can not believe that statistic, that makes me quite upset.

• edited November -1

I could give you more, but I will spare you. Local and state governments are trying to legislate this breed into extinction. They seem to forget that these pups were the beloved pets of Teddy Roosevelt, and Helen Keller. All they know is what the new promotes. This image of vicious killing machines that cannot be trusted. In Denver they actually are going to peoples homes, seizing their family pets, and killing them (euthanizing is something you do to a sick animal beyond healing).

It is a very scary time to love a pit. 

• edited November -1

"In Denver they actually are going to peoples homes, seizing their
    family pets, and killing them (euthanizing is something you do to a
    sick animal beyond healing)."

Are you serious? That's just insane. I'm speechless.

• edited November -1

My best friends family is there and they participate in a sort of "pit bull underground railroad). People either have to surrender their dogs or move.

This is the world we live in. 

• edited November -1
    Side note, Akita owners also need to have concern, a lot of homeowners insurance will either refuse coverage or raise their rates astronomically if you have akitas. They are on the list of "aggressive" dogs.
  • edited November -1
    *eye roll* Chihuahuas should be on the "aggressive" dog list. Those things will freakin come at you out of no where.
  • edited November -1
    Denver isn't the only city to have done this.  There are way more breed bans then people think.  It's disgusting.
  • edited November -1
    When Jay and I were shopping for a house, the first thing we made our Realtor aware of were which towns we refused to live in, because of their laws.
  • edited November -1
    wow - that is crazy about Denver... really upsetting - so ignorant. And that statistic is sickening!
  • edited February 2008

More states should be like New Hampshire.

• edited November -1
    This is a very dear issue to my heart as you all know I also have a bully mix.  It is very difficult for me to even get started but im so glad you all are so open to the bully lovers.  I will take a bully, akita, rott over any dog (except other jap breeds) any day.  I will do anything to protect my babies and not moving back home to MN may be one due to BSL.  Jess is very right on all her stats and facts and it is petrifying!  They will not stop and any dog owner needs to be terrified of BSL because they will continue down the line and abolish all dogs by the time they are done.  Where do you stop?
  • edited November -1

On a lighter note. Amy (the adoption coordinator) got a call from PAC and Fernando may have an adoptor and Happy Bobby too!!

We find our for sure tomorrow! 

• edited November -1
    YAY!  That is amazing....please keep us posted and I am grateful you are fighting so hard and on our side!
  • edited November -1

*crosses fingers that everything works out as planned*  I'm really glad to hear that good news!  I know Noah will be glad, too, because he's very really confused at why I'm so emotional over a dog I know almost nothing about!  Blast these pregnancy hormones!

This reminds me of a pitbull named Cooper that was in the pound at the same time as Loki.  We almost adopted Cooper, it was between him and Loki, but we chose Loki.  For one thing, Loki was scheduled to be put down the next day and no one wants to adopt a big, black, scary-looking dog (I don't think pit bulls have the same stigma in this area), and for another it just seemed right.  Well, a couple years later, I was looking in the paper at the weekly "Animal House" page, where the local rescues post pictures of dogs and cats that are available, and I saw Cooper!  He had the same name and there was no mistaking, it was the exact same dog!  I wish I could have known what happened to him.  He was the sweetest, most darling dog ever.  I wish I could go back in time and adopt him.  Anyway, I think that experience has made me emotional over pitbulls and I secretly vowed to adopt one some day from an area where the kill rate is high.  

Anyway... there I go babbling again.

• edited November -1
    YAY!! I hope he gets adopted!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November -1

Jason has had to make peace that this is his lot in life. As I yelled at him for being hesitant about posting Fernando on his work email. And then burst into tears.

Yeah safe to say I get a little emotional too.

Heidi just let me know when you're ready for your pit. Sadly I will have no problem helping you find a beautiful loving dog who is likely to lose his life because of the shape of his head. 

• edited November -1

That is great news - I'll be honest I have had to avoid this thread because Fernando just kinda melts my heart. His eyes just say it all! If I was not up to my eyeballs in puppies right now Jen and I would consider adopting him... but with 3 puppies and one of them about to go into heat... well I just don't know that we could give him the attention he deserves.

Anyway, I will have my fingers crossed for both of them!

(BTW this post has gotten 200+ unique hits since it was posted yesterday... not bad!)

• edited November -1
    I think I have decided which rescue organization to foster for when I have everything set up...www.pitbullsforlife.com.  They have a few taken from Toronto, where pitbulls are illegal.  Like this sweetheart.  How could anyone not love that face?  
  • edited November -1

There are presently 9007 pit bull terriers on petfinder. That number is ever increasing. I know for a fact that not all of providence's are on there.

And then of course there are the shelters that don't use petfinder.

Brad-200+ That is wonderful! Hopefully people will do something. There are so many dogs looking for a chance.

I'm at PAC tomorrow and bringing my camera. I will post pictures. 

• edited November -1
    Im sure those on petfinder dont include mixes.
  • edited February 2008

Here is the blog I posted on myspace. I will update it every time I work at the shelter.

BLOG

For those of you who are smarter than me and don't waste your time on that silly site

So I recently started volunteering at Providence Animal Control. I want
    to do my best to help these pups get a chance. This is the place where
    assholes dump their dogs when they get too big, too old, or just aren't
    as fun as they expected. They are all good dogs. Some will need more
    training because they didn't get the chances they deserve early on.
    Lets give them a chance now.

***This
    boy is a LOVE (you will hear me say that about all of these). He loves
    to play with toys. He is a big dog, so probably not for houses with
    little kids. But if you want a big dog who will love and play with you
    all day, this is your man!

***She
    is as sweet and lovely as she looks. I just kept calling her the little
    blonde bombshell. She has "those" eyes. You know the ones that just
    melt you from the inside out. She is a little shy. But just a lovely
    lovely mush.

***Oh
    boy. This little guy is awesome! He is just the kind of dog who can
    dash in and put a smile on your face. He is gonna need a special owner.
    When you first meet him, he hides. But if you come back and visit him
    again he will play with you like you are the oldest of friends. That is
    exactly how it happened with us. When I went to get Shelby he hid from
    me. Today we were running together like he grew up with me. What a
    little monkey!

***We
    were trying so hard to figure this guy out. He obviously has some pit
    in him, but his coat is thick and his brindle is almost more spotted.
    Catahoula leopard dog maybe? He seemed nervous at first when we took
    him out. But 5 minutes later I crouched down and he nuzzled right into
    me. He is the kind of boy that makes me want to take them all home.

***Mama
    Cass. Poor thing does not know how to advertise her self. When you walk
    up to her in her cage she will growl and show her teeth. Take her out
    side and she will lavish you with love like she was made just for you.
    She is akita/chow we think. I love this lady.

***I
    see this dog and he is the definition of "mans best friend". I want to
    call him Scout and just let him go run and play in the woods. We just
    can't quite figure out exactly what he is. Lets just say cute. He is a
    youngster with a lot of potential.

***And
    last but not least, Fernando. By now you all know how in love with this
    boy I am. He is not a dog for someone who is away from home a lot. He
    is anxious. Especially after being at PAC for so many months. He needs
    an experienced dog owner, who is patient and has a lot of love and time
    to give. But know this, he is worth every bit of effort. I love this
    boy. He is just waiting to the right mom or pop to give him the happy
    home he so deserves.

Sadly
    there are so many other dogs there. There is a chin named little miss
    muffet who is such a snuggle bum. There is a cairne terrier (think toto
    from the wizard of oz) who is a little clown. I could go on and on.
    Please, visit their Pet finder Link
    and go and meet these dogs. You are saving a pups life. And I can tell
    you from personal experience, they will feed your soul. If you ever
    wanted to know what it really feels like to be loved, rescue a dog.

• edited November -1
    Jessica, Noah says I shouldn't read your posts anymore until we get our kennels built and can take on foster dogs, LOL.  I'm too d@mn emotional!  On the upside, I have explained to him BSL and he is now thoroughly infuriated by it and wants to start fostering pits from areas where they are being killed.  Obviously, this won't be for a year or so, seeing as we don't even have a fence yet and I'm preggo with symphysis pubis dysfunction (fancy word for hurts to walk or do anything).  But yeah... maybe someday you will be sending me a pup to foster!  Yipee!