Looking to adopt a rescue

edited March 2009 in Rescue
Looking to adopt a rescue in Alberta Canada. My father is in need of a companion. He has always had poodle and poodle crosses but think the shiba will be a good match for him. He has had several strokes so needs something to get him up and moving around, enjoying life.

Comments

• edited November -1
    truthfully,
    I would suggest especially someone with health concerns, you best bet is you and your father go to some local shelters, and let the dog pick you.

I didn't go looking for a shiba, Moto picked me. I didn't go looking for a pit bull, Piglet picked me. And they are my soul mates.
  • edited November -1
    Love the name Piglet. i can just imagine the eating habits of a dog named Piglet. I have one too.
  • edited November -1
    http://www.shibainucanada.com/rescue.htm
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Though honestly, if your father has mobility/health issues a Shiba probably isn't a very good match for him. They are very active dogs even into their older years.
  • edited November -1
    But if you are so dead set on finding a Shiba, you're best bet is to talk to a rescue. That's how I found Sasuke. You can also meet the dogs before you decide whether or not they will be a good companion. There are also several "adoption fairs" where local adoption agencies will meet together and the people can meet the dogs in one area. Check your local newspaper or the newspaper website.

However, before I got Sasuke, we went to many local animal shelters and played with several dogs. There were some that really stood out, but they were all adopted already :( There was a dog that we were so close to adopting-> His name was Rusty, a 4mo old Sheltie mix. He was the sweetest puppy ever! He also did not have any food aggression problems! He was given back the same day because the elderly woman who first adopted him said he ran around a lot and felt as though she would trip on him because he is always whizzing back and forth in front of her.
  • edited November -1
    We recently had a shiba foster that I was convinced would be best suited for a senior citizen who didn't plan to walk farther than a couple blocks a day or had a fenced yard that they could utilize in a walks' place (as this dog had 3 legs and was a bit older). And he probably would have been - although now he's living in Manhattan with a younger man and is doing just as well.

My point is this - if it must be a shiba, then I would definitely look into rescue groups and petfinder. There are bound to be a few that would suit your father's situation. yes they are a high energy breed and yes they maintain that throughout their lifetimes, but there are some that just need a low key comfortable existence that an older, less active person could provide just as well.

Good luck in your search, there are certainly many, many dogs out there who need this home!
  • edited March 2009
    Dad is mobile, he just chooses not to be which is part of the problem. He is very much a dog person but hasn't had one in years. I tried to match him up to one of my monster pups, bullmastiff, but they are just too big for him and drool way too much for his wife's taste(not that I blame her). Dad works at the local arena in town but summer is coming so ice skating will be a thing in the past for another season, he will have the perfect oppertunity to bond. I would look around for a suitable pup but after spending my days with Ms. Lily I realized there may be a need for the adoption option. My vet and I were discussing Lily's high need to be 'directed' through out her day. I am a strong leader so its a bit easier for me but unsuspecting owners with little know how(like I was my first akita, Kongo), may experience some issues with shiba becoming a bit of a princess.

I think paying an adoption fee to a rescue benifits so much more than lining the pockets of bad breeders in a lot of cases, not all. I don't wish to offend breeders on this forum since I know the majority if not all are only looking after the breeds welfare or you wouldn't be here.

Dad is fully capable of handling a dog like a shiba. They are engaging, smart, active and small. My father takes pride in his ability to train his dogs to do all kinds of things. He will spend the time a shiba needs in all areas. I am certinally not an idiot when it comes to my dogs. A bit of a bad speller but not an idiot. I would never match me father with the 'wrong' fit. A shiba would enjoy the pampered life it would lead with my father.
  • edited November -1
    Nowhere in that post did I imply you were an idiot. I was just stating that the Shiba is not the breed for everyone. You are the only one here that knows your father. I am not trying to be offensive but I'm not sure how well you know the breed. I saw in one of your other posts that when you first looked at the breed they were newly admitted to the CKC. Shibas have been in North America since 1954, bred in the US in 1979, and officially recognized by the CKC in 1992.

If your father takes pride in training dogs, then he should know that Shibas are very stubborn pups. Only equally stubborn and experienced trainers will be able to get them close to trained enough to do obedience or agility. No Shiba will ever have a 100% recall. They will only do things for you if there's something in it for them.

I have linked you to the Canadian Shiba Inu rescue page and Petfinder. If you utilize those websites, you may be able to find a dog that is the perfect match for your father.
  • edited November -1
    Oh no please don't get me wrong never thought you did call me an idiot. I do apoligise for making that implication. My bad. I was refering to owners that make ill matches when it comes to selecting dogs hence a big reason why so many are in rescues. Often times my mind wanders and it takes awhile for my hands to catch up in terms of typing. Shiba's are a special breed yes? They require special handlers. They are not suited for everyone. If I counted the times I had people say they wanted a shiba after seeing Lily small and too cute for words,I count equal amount of dogs in rescues because breeders make bad matches or refuse to sell pups to people they KNOW counldn't handle the responsibility of owning one.

I know shibas have only been reconized by the CKC since 1992. My shiba comes from one of the breeders that fought for them to be reconized by the CKC. The shibas run a risk of becoming a novelty like my beloved rotties and bullmastiffs, subjecting them to be seen as a popular dog for puppymills. We all have seen evidence in other breeds this has happened to.
  • edited November -1
    Truthfully though, not all Shibas are extremely high energy. Triton likes his 2 mile walk and a little playing at home, but then he's mellow as can be. Couch potato, actually!! It completely depends on the Shiba.
  • edited November -1
    Well, I think a good rule for bringing in a dog no matter what breed, is not to get a dog with a higher energy level than yourself or greater activity demands than you are able to provide. Meaning, if you are a couch potatoe, get a couch potatoe dog, otherwise the dog will be unhappy waiting and waiting for someone to get up and go for a walk.
    Shiba can be great pets, but the majority of them are most likely to thrive on some type of regular, vigourous activity (like hiking, trips to fun places, or multiple daily walks). Unless you are very lucky in finding a sluggish Shiba, I personally would not get somebody else (what tends to be) a higher energy level dog, especially a senior with physical limitations and stroke related complications. A genuine companion lap dog may be a better match, but that's just my opinion.