ATTN: West Coast! Akitas and Shibas in need!

edited March 2009 in Rescue
Today 200 dogs were rescued from a breeder in southeastern Oregon, 187 were brought up to Portland.

Many of the dogs are Shibas and Akitas.

The news story and the4video are on kgw.com. there's also news on oregonhumane.org and there's a video on youtube.

http://oregonhumane.org/news/stories/Burns_Rescue.asp

They said that most of the dogs appear healthy and will be available for adoption shortly.

Any west coasters thinking about adopting either, now is the time!

Shelter location:
1067 NE Columbia Blvd. Portland, OR • (503) 285-7722

Comments

• edited November -1
    Holy shit that's a lot of dogs.
  • edited November -1
    haha, I just saw that article and plan on stalking the oregon humane society webpage to see the dogs up for adoption
    maybe take a trip next week to see them
  • edited November -1
    Wow, that's a lot of dogs that needs to be rescued!
  • edited November -1
    I'm going to make this a sticky for a little while, if thats ok. Just so everyone that needs to can see it.
  • edited November -1
    ojeez o-o
  • edited March 2009
    Gah.... I know we can't have another at this point... but... just... maybe... if I drag James to see them? *sigh* I just don't want to be the person who says 'oh it just wasn't the right time' :o/

I know a lot of rescue groups have really strict 'policies' about adoption. We don't have a yard, although we will soon (ish), but I'd like to think about an Akita or Shiba from that group (shhhhhhhhhh.... James will fall in love once I've made up my mind.... he's easy like that) - but I want to know I'm giving the dog a good home. We walk at least 3 times per day (usually 30-1:30hr walks) I just don't know if this is enough for an Akita. We also have a dog park about 10 mins from the house that I LOVE!!. Anyway... yeah... I really want to help :o/
  • edited November -1
    I can't access the vid links, but I guess the humane society has been following this miller for about 10 years and doing periodic checks, but this last time he came out with a gun or something and was shooting at the investigators so they arrested him and seized the dogs. I think the NW Shiba rescue are involved. I didn't hear if Seattle Pure Bred Dog Rescue was involved or not. I want to go see them, but I don't at the same time-it would make me sad to see them in jail.

Evan, I bet Keiko and Belle would love another Shiba friend.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, this has been a bad year for the NW w/ regards to huge dog impounds...we had the 600 or so dogs up here, and now these poor souls in Oregon! We're keeping our options open for a rescue as well....even though we are getting a puppy soon, we'd also like to help out an older dog in need.
  • edited November -1
    I am in the PNW too, Olympia is running to pass mad laws on those of us who are responsible. Any breeder who does not take back thier stock who loose their homes are not a breeder worth considering IMHO. Screw OFA certified and all of that if they have dogs who end up like this they are done.
  • edited November -1
    Just e-mailed to see when we can go in and meet some of the dogs. I have James convinced to at least go and meet them before making any decision... so hopefully things work out and we'll add another fluffball to our family.
  • edited November -1
    I hope it works out for you guys!!! I'm sending posts out to my dog loving friends to see if anyone is willing to add another pup to their pack!
  • edited November -1
    Evan! Thats awesome!!!
    I understand that they were just getting to your area yesterday afternoon, so they probably have a lot of paperwork to tend to! Don't hesitate to call and find out either - in the video it seemed like there were at least a couple definite shibas there :(
  • edited November -1
    Evan, hooray for you and James!
  • edited November -1
    bump!
  • edited November -1
    Looks like we'll be going to the humane society on Thursday when they start round one of adoptions!

http://www.oregonhumane.org/news/stories/Rescued_Dogs_Adoptions.asp
  • edited November -1
    Good luck, Evan!!!! You and James are AWESOME!
  • edited November -1
    Best of luck guys!! I think it's awesome you're goin to try and help em out!!
  • edited November -1
    OOH! Good luck, Evan (and James). (pst, take pictures!) I hope you find a forever friend to bring home to Keiko and Belle!
  • edited November -1
    This one has my heart in her paw... I wish we could take another on, but not possible...
    http://www.oregonhumane.org/adopt/detail.asp?animalID=75164

There are still a lot of these special needs dogs that need good homes, if anyone it still interested.
  • edited November -1
    omg i love her...
  • edited November -1
    I hope these dogs are ok now. And All found there forever homes.
  • edited November -1
    Yuri - there are still quite a few looking for homes. I'''ll be going tomorrow to meet more of them!
  • edited November -1
    She looks like such a cutie...she sort of looks like a Klee Kai.
  • edited November -1
    Evan, are you volunteering there?
  • edited November -1
    I'm hoping to volunteer this summer, assuming I don't have as much work stuff going on. I really like everyone I've met there so far, and the facility is so nice. I just want to do a small part to help out.