shikokus in shelter (in japan) March 22nd

Comments

• edited November -1
    Corina,
    it wld be great if your friend cld help! hopefully Gen will get on here soon and we can start discussing the logistics.
    Meanwhile, should we start a fund for this "mission"? everyone cld chip in a lil to help get these shikas to the states
    am really happy/excited for these shikas to be on their way outta the shelter & to a new home!
  • edited November -1
    Did anyone ever offer to take in these dogs permanently?
  • edited March 2009
    My offer was for a permanent home for one dog. I believe several others were offering permanent homes. Most, like me, had a few complicating issues like living on the East coast, or concern about these dogs getting along with their other dogs. I would really love to have one of the these lovely Shikokus join my home but I am totally OK if they both go to someones else. Others may be better equipped to give these particular dogs the best possible home.
  • edited November -1
    Ah ic.

I don't think it was mentioned that these 2 dogs lived together or were found together...so i don't think it will be a problem if they are seperated, since it doesn't seem like they know eachother.

If you are really serious - I think you should get in touch with Corina and have her ask her friend to see when the next time she will be flying to the US. I dont' think it matters if the dogs come together or at seperate times. Also get in contact with Gen or Ling to see if they can help find a way to get the dog transported to the airport as well as how to pay for the expenses of shipping.

If things do go through for one dog - I'm sure Corina will be able to foster the dog for a week or more (or I can - I work from home and also live in Orange County), just so the dog won't have to take flight after flight and will have some rest time before joining you.
  • edited March 2009
    That sounds reasonable--letting the dogs decompress for a while before getting back into plane sounds extremely sensible.

I haven't wanted to assume I would be one of the lucky adopters as I am a newcomer to this forum and have much less experience with Nihon Ken than most forum members (none with Shikokus), and it seemed like several others were interested. So I would not be put out if Gen or Ling or Corina, or whoever has to make the decision believes that someone else would be better.
  • edited March 2009
    That is true, but I think you, Gen, and Krisitin are the only ones who would offer permanent homes- many members had offered to foster until a permanent home was available. And I believe Gen mentioned he would only be able to keep one of the dogs. And Kristin has 2 dogs, so it would be a little risky not knowing the backgrounds on these dogs to see if they can co-exist with her current pack. So if you are able to take one, then that would be great! Since you don't have any other dogs currently, I think the transition will be easier and less stressful.

However, if Kristin is still interested, and Gen would like to adopt one - perhaps you all should speak together and see which homes would ultimately be in the dogs best interest.

I think it mostly has to do with the cost of shipping the dogs over here. I would love to help out and bring the dogs over here and try to find them forever homes, however I don't have the cash to spend 1k per dog to temporarily foster, that would be a huge loss, even though it's for a great cause...its just too much to spend right now. I think most people are in the same situation. So if we could find them forever homes first, i think that would be best - that way expenses are paid, the dogs have a permanent home waiting, and everyone is happy!

This is just my 2 cents...I figure if there is an able willing home available...best to get one of the dogs on the way instead of staying in that shelter. But maybe I am missing something or not thinking correctly. I have only rescued a couple dogs from the shelter, but never worked in rescue besides that. So maybe there are other things we haven't considered ? Brad, Jess, Jen or Brandon - do you have any recommendations regarding this?
  • edited March 2009
    I would still be interested in adopting one of these Shikas as long as they get along with Miso and Sake. Maybe one of the west coast "Temp" homes can see how they do with other dogs? I understand there may be some things that need adjusting, as long as it's nothing major I would be willing to work and train with a dog to get it settled in with my pack. I don't see the funding being a problem for me, just depends on the time it needs to be given.

I can also fly to the west coast and bring the dog back with me at some point as long as we know they will be dog-friendly!
  • edited November -1
    Don't forget about the Wisconsin meet up, there will be both west coasters and east coasters there. It can offer a nice resting period where a foster can help determine some of the issues, and money will be saved from not having to fly from one side to the other.
  • edited November -1
    In the listing for these girls, the 'shikoku' says she is not interested in other dogs, and should be an only dog.
    http://www.arkbark.net/rehoming/one.cgi?id=598

The shikoku/mix dog says she's good with other dogs.
    http://www.arkbark.net/rehoming/one.cgi?id=647

IMO, I think if permanent west coast homes are available, then the girl(s) should go right there. If only west coast-temporary homes are available to better assess these girls, then a decompress period after their long flight would be beneficial also, before being driven to WI or flown to the east coast.

Those with other dogs (esp on east coast) who want girl#1 should consider two things - that the shelter environment is very stressful and it could be a difficult place to determine whether or not a dog is actually good with other dogs. The other is to consider that the shelter is correct and this dog would not be suitable in a multi-dog home.
    Once in a home setting, it can go either way - the one that is deemed good with dogs could get possessive of new creature comforts, or the one not good with dogs could prove otherwise.
    Fostering definitely has the advantage to assess their temperaments and health before a permanent home is available, but I guess its a call each individual interested in this has to make... the sooner these girls get to a permanent home situation, the better.

Like I said, I'm definitely open to foster either one of them, however to fly them to the east coast directly is not financial feasible for me right now, and its probably not good for them to fly all the way here just to be fostered anyway. But my home is open and available to them either way.
  • edited November -1
    p.s. If only a west coast foster is available for one or both, would the "Forum Fund" be available to help financial support their flight?
  • edited November -1
    Im trying to look into the transportation and shipping cost right now, will have to ask arnd and give an update later.

As for the $, would the forum fund be available? i remember many members willing to help out by chipping in a little for the cost, should we start a "fund" just for this, or?

It seems like many are willing to foster and some are willing to take the dogs. any suggestions to how we can decide who will take/foster the dogs?

Corina: Thanks! It would be really great if your friend cld help get the dogs to the states. So will your friend be willing to transport the dogs if the cost is covered?

I wanna thank every1 again, its so great to see every1 chipping in to help these Shikas. I wasnt too hopeful when I 1st posted this, mainly because of the distance and all the cost/logistics that go together with it, but its so so so great to see every1 trying to help out.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with what Romi said, the person taking the dog(s) in permanently should be the one paying all expenses and if any forum members want to pitch in to help then by all means do so. As much it sucks to have these dogs in the shelter, I think the forum fund should be saved for other situations. That's just my personal opinion though.

I think those who want the dogs should make a clear cut statement instead of "I would want them but..." Let's get a clear yes or no first and then work toward getting dogs to owners. It's easier working on the details if we know what the final plan is supposed to look like.
  • edited November -1
    As stated before, I would be more than willing to take one and give it a loving home, but I would need to make sure that the Shika is dog friendly. I have NO problems working with dogs and training and socilizing, I just want to make sure there are no major dog reactive issues prior to a full on commitment.

I also think the "forum fund" should be saved for other uses. Maybe a seperate "Shika from Japan Shelter" fund could be set up so that anyone who wants to donate will be able to, but I agree with Rina that the majority of the $$$ should come from the furever homes.
  • edited March 2009
    Alright so as long as the one who is supposed to be dog friendly is actually dog friendly, we have Kristin.

ETA: Or were you more interested in the other one? Honestly not being dog friendly means very little to me, especially it being Japan and the dogs being in a shelter/rescue setting. It might be able to work out if she's the one you're interested in.
  • edited March 2009
    It really doesn't matter to me as long as the one that I get can be a good pack member. The first girl says "Not really interested in other dogs" but doesn't say anything about being "reactive" towards other dogs. The second girl says she likes dogs.

Who knows. I really just want to give a good dog a good home.

I think once they get to the west coast and get into their temp foster homes where they can be better evaluated, we will know which girl is right for my pack.
  • edited November -1
    "If only a west coast foster is available for one or both, would the "Forum Fund" be available to help financial support their flight?"

Which flight, from Japan to Cali, or from Cali to the east coast?

----
  • edited November -1
    From Japan to Cali, I assume, since transport seems likely between west coast -> Wisconsin meetup -> east coast
  • edited November -1
    Ah, I see. Thanx!

I'll have to chat with Jen about this then. We would obviously like to help these Shikoku, but the forum fund was originally intended to help members and their current dogs.

I would expect the rescue group to help finance the transportation of a dog to it's new home - but in this case that's obviously a bit extreme since the cost of sending a dog from Japan to Cali is pretty huge in comparison.

My honest feeling is that it should be the responsibility of the people who intend to give these dogs a forever home to pay for the transportation of the dogs. After all, that would be the case if they where purchasing a dog from a breeder, importing one, or even rescuing one in America.

Then you have the issue of WHO is gonna get these dogs and WHO is going to give the "ok" for these dogs to live in the selected homes - in other words in a normal rescue situation there would be some "approval" procedure before the dogs were allowed to live with a specific owner. I think we need something like that here - but I have no idea who should do that. Not to imply I think any of the forum members are not fit to house these dogs - we just have to do everything we can to place them in a forever home as it would be horrible to take them from Japan only to be placed in a home here and then dumped into the US rescue system due to poor forever home selection/approval (or lack of).

We need to remember, these dogs could come with a rather large learning curve for a member going from a few Shiba to an imported, adult, rescued, Shikoku.

Having said all that, I know this is a different situation than most of us have been involved with before... so I'm not opposed to using the forum fund for it.

Another thing is, there is nothing in the forum fund - so the fund would need to be donated to by forum members and if that's the case we could just take up donations for this specific purpose and leave the forum fund out of it - right?

Just my thoughts.

----
  • edited November -1
    I think Brad is right about the process and the funding.

I think we could set up a different "fund" for anyone who wants to donate to helping these dogs, but the majority of the $$ should come from the forever homes. I think the "forum fund" should be left alone and all the proceeds from the sale of calendars and t-shirts and donations made specifically to that fund should be seperate, as it was set up for a different cause.
  • edited November -1
    I think Brad's right, as well. Definitely if an adoptive home is available - they should fund their dog's travel/transport/etc - as would an adoptive home from an established rescue. However, if only a temporary foster home was available for either or both gals, thats why I suggested the forum fund (or similar fund?).
  • edited March 2009
    Hmmm, this poses another question for me. I have no problem paying for transport, but what if neither of the Shika's will work for my pack? I would love to donate all that money to them, but if it's not going to be a permanate situation then I wouldn't donate so much as this would be coming from my "shika" fund that I have been gathering for a Shika pup in the future...
  • edited March 2009
    Kristin, I think if you were to adopt one of these dogs, and found that they didn't work with your pack - maybe when you find someone to adopt the dog, they can pay you back for the expenses as an "adoption fee"?

Is there a time limit on their time being at ARK?
  • edited November -1
    That would totally work for me!
  • edited March 2009
    I think what Romi's suggestion to Kristin's concern is great. I dont think there's a time limit for them in ARK, since ARK is a no kill shelter, if no1 takes them they will pretty much just stay there.
    ARK mentioned that there are a few reasons why the Shikokus have been there for awhile
    1) They cant leave Osaka (seems like Gen has that taken care of already if any forum members are gonna take the Shikokus)
    2) Not a lot of Japanese dog owners seem to even know about the breed
    3) Shikokus can get pretty big and needs the exercise, usually no dogs are allowed in apts and japanese houses are still pretty small and usually have lil to no yard.
  • edited November -1
    Those Shikoku are full size... they're not big dogs, usually about the size of a Border Collie. They're certainly smaller than Akita.
  • edited November -1
    they are considered big dogs in japan, the popular size/breeds here are like the miniature dachshund, mini poodle, and basically anything mini. The mame shibas out here are real popular too
  • edited November -1
    Yeah scale everything up in Japan - space is tight.

Also, Japanese hunting dogs have a rep for being rough and wild. When my wife told my stepmom I wanted a Shikoku she was apparently like, that is crazy, you need to be with those dogs 24/7 or they will tear your house up, and they eat kids. This reputation is really just because they are a working breed I think.
  • edited November -1
    I've got a tentative plan to move in the near future. If it does work out before the summer I would probably be able to take in these pups for a bit. In my present apartment, my landlord would have a fit if I brought 2 Shikokus in.

If this does indeed work out, I could assess them at my place for a while and any prospective owners would have a better idea of what they're like. I would bring them up to the rescue I work at up here, but we're absolutely full up at the moment.

From the looks of it there are plenty of people interested in these gorgeous pups, and it would be great if we can help rehome them. If I'm unable to get my housing plan moving in time, is there anyone else here in Japan who could take one or both of them in for a while and assess them in a normal 'household' environment?
  • edited November -1
    If there is some approval process that we will begin, or a screening process, should the administrators vote on who they believe would be a best "forever" match? Maybe the forum members who actually do fostering and rescue could design a screening process for potential fosterers/permanent homes? A Shikoku experienced home would probably be best it sounds like. I do live right near the Seatac airport so could pick up the dog easily and I have the space, time and training resources for another dog, however temporary, but I do have the 2 Shiba. I would still be up for fostering for awhile/putting up some cash and later meeting up with a permanent home once we knew more about the dog. Honestly though, I wouldn't hesitate to cover any expenditures of any dog living with me, but I would want clarification about who pays for the flight/importing from Japan.
  • edited November -1
    Geez, I looked at their pictures again. It would be really nice to see their personalities outside of a shelter. When can they get here? I would love to work with either one. The girl that is supposed to not be really interested in other dogs but likes people, isn't that a sort of a plus? I mean, I would prefer that over fear/aggression. Indifference is sort of nice when you have a pack I thought (less squabbles among the dogs). She sounds like a great pet already.