Tosa and Poongsan on Petfinder

edited March 2009 in Rescue
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13198119
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13251813

Comments

• edited November -1
    Oh wow - the Tosa is beautiful. I've never heard of a Poongsan...very interesting. I hope they both find their forever homes soon...they sound like great dogs.
  • edited March 2009
    Also I found a Thai Bangkaew dog on there http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12920577

Surprising that such uncommon breeds are on there, but I suppose that nowadays any dog can end up in rescue, regardless of breed...
  • edited November -1
    I emailed about the Tosa and never heard back. That's frustrating.
  • edited November -1
    The Pungsan (actually looks more to be a jindo or akita/shep mix?) has been in the Huntington, NY shelter for OVER a YEAR!
    Some info from Liz @ Huntington:

I have had Young Lee out with both Male & Female dogs and she does well.
    My concern is that she is a very needy girl. She loves attention and as she has been deprived of human contact most of her life I am not sure how she will deal with sharing her human. She maybe fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if she became possessive, but that is only a thought I don't know for sure. I do know she is very loving and affectionate and does really seem to enjoy playing with other dogs as well as people! Every morning I let her out in our dog run with a neutered male 70lb Akita.
    They run & play together unsupervised for @ least a half hour with me just checking in on them. She has been @ the shelter an awfully long time and really needs to get out.
    The shelter is open which is usually 7 days a week except holidays.
    I am hoping someone can help this loving girl, she deserves a loving home, she has been through a lot in her short 2 years!
  • edited March 2009
    I have seen one Poongsan and it looked very much like a Jindo. In fact I am not sure it wasn't a Jindo. Really I think like the Shibas of different regions I think the Poongsan is a diversion of the Jindo and probably originally came from the island peninsula. Now it most like is a off shoot being bred separately in remote regions and bred to it's current look. The one I saw had tipped ears. However, Jindos can have tipped ears for sometime or one that remains tipped.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    SnF, do you know of any other east coast jindo rescue effort besides Mitch in Toms River, NJ?
  • edited March 2009
    Unfortunately, no I don't. Many of the all breed rescues have had tried to help in many cases. However, with the economy the way it is many have gone belly up. Not many know what the breed is let alone what to do with one. Many of the Shiba orgs will try to include the Jindo within their listings. However, there are so many Shibas now the Jindo has been pushed to the background, not because people don't like them but because the org has to focus on their main mission. The Jindo breed can be similar to many of the Nihons in that they have to have some space and do not always mix well with tons of other dogs on their turf. Early socialization is the key to a having a well rounded dog and sadly that does not always happen with many Jindos. At this time it is a very sad situation for the breed in general if they end up at shelters etc.

Snf