Love - ADOPTED 06/23/09!!!

edited April 2009 in Rescue
(PLEASE READ WHOLE THREAD - MANY THINGS HAVE CHANGED SINCE THIS FIRST POST!)

My friend sent me a message this morning. She has acquired a 8 month old female/spayed pitbull. Aparently one of her friends was the second owner, and his family decided to move to oregon and couldn't take her.

She says that she is the sweetest thing. She isn't very well trained on the leash, but she does know how to sit and lay down. She seems fine with older kids 9+..all she did was lick them to death. She seems very skittish and gets scared from loud noises and even dogs barking. They think that she was abused by the first owner because anytime someone raises their hand, she freaks out and her tail tucks under.

She doesn't know how she will do with other dogs - because she hasn't had her interact with any. But she says when she see's other dogs...she doesn't seem to care.

She is between 50-55 lbs. and is up to date on all shots and is spayed.

I am going to meet this dog to get a better idea of her personality. I will keep you updated.

There is a time crunch. My friend can't keep her for long, due to apartment rules. So if they can't find her another home by the end of this week, they will have to take her to a shelter. I'm hoping we will find a home from her soon, and if she is OK with dogs, I might even consider fostering her for a short while hoping to find her a good home within a couple weeks.

I would also be happy to help transport if not too far, or maybe we can possibly set up a transport system.

Please get the word out!

Here is a pic of the cutie
Photobucket

Comments

• edited November -1
    Super cute girl. I will let my sisters who live in LA know, see if they know anyone.
  • edited November -1
    What a sweetheart! She's beautiful. Hope someone takes her in quickly.

[ there's something about her that reminds me of Miss Piglet, I think it's the eyes...just so gentle looking ]~
  • edited November -1
    What a beautiful girl!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Ok, just heard from my friend - she isn't the one caring for the dog, it is her friend. She just got news that the dog has to be gone by tomorrow night. Although, she scheduled for me to meet her tomorrow night...i'm not sure if I don't take her, he will take her to the pound right after, or what.
  • edited November -1
    What a cutie! I would take her in a second if I were closer.
  • edited November -1
    okay, I guess she is not spayed afterall. I have a friend who is interested, but would like to meet her first. I'm hoping she will be okay with dogs, so I will be able to foster her for a short while so she won't have to be sent to the pound. And then i'm hoping my friend falls in love with her.

When do females usually go into their first heat? They aren't for sure, but they don't think she has had her first heat yet.
  • edited November -1
    I think it varies, but is typically in the neighborhood of 8 months.
  • edited November -1
    Oh man, she is cute. Such a nice little face. This poor pup needs to find a forever home and stop being passed around. poor girl.

I think, tho I am not 100% on this, Pits tend to go into their first heat at a year. I think Dave's guess is good: 8 - 12 months.

If you stress her out o much she will probably slip into season.

Let us know how she does when you meet her.

----
  • edited November -1
    Good luck with whatever the outcome! She has an irresistibly cute face!
  • edited November -1
    She is the sweetest pit I have had the pleasure to meet. She needs a dedicated companion that will take the time to lead her. It's only been an hour but I think I'm in love.
  • edited November -1
    So....we picked her up! She is a ball of energy and super sweet. She is horrible on lead - like really, I think she's blind. She just goes in every direction. She is also more like 40 lbs. - she is a tiny little girl! She is super strong for her size as well. My wrists are killing me! She will need a good amount of training.

She is really bad with meeting new dogs. Not in an aggressive way or anything, she just gets too excited. Even Portia was scared of her. Obviously, due to her energy level (and the fact that I don't think she has been walked often or been out in public, or met new dogs frequently) Ninja was not fond of her. He snapped at her a few times, and she really didn't get the point, just kept trying to play with him more.

We went on a long walk at the park we met at to try to drain some of her energy and then loaded the pups in the car. Drive home was fine. We brought her inside to my office where we set up the pen. We fed the dogs. I put Ninja and Portia in their crate and took the pittie out to the front yard to explore and do her business. We brought her back inside and let her explore the 2nd level of the house.

I brought her back into my office, so Ninja and Portia could go out and do their business. She is quite the lover. I also noticed when I was petting her, I felt hard spots all over her. She rolled on her back and I looked closer and they were all TICKS!

We removed 31 ticks tonight, and she still has more. She started gnawing on our hands, so we stopped. Didn't want to push her too far on the first night. First thing tomorrow I need to go out and buy Advantix and apply it to her ASAP. Then take her to the vet. Poor thing, those ticks were/are sucking the blood out of her. I am pretty grossed out by it.

We have still not decided on a name...I can't think of anything! She really loves John and John is really falling for her too. Things are going much smoother this time around and she doesn't seemed stressed at all. So that's good.

I am feeling really itchy and gross now, after removing all those ticks, so I am going to shower and get some rest. I'll have another update for you guys tomorrow.
  • edited November -1
    Sorry forgot the spam...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    Aw, such a sweet heart.
  • edited November -1
    She is SO sweet looking... omg... I wish I could just cuddle her and take in a 4th, but I think we're already pushing it with 3 :o/
  • edited November -1
    I say call her Oreo! She sounds like a sweetheart!

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Oreo is a GREAT name!!!!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Yesterday (while eating Chicken Tikka Masala) I decided that TIkka was also a good name :o)
  • edited November -1
    I'm usually not a fan of people names on dogs but she looks like a Sam/Samantha to me.
  • edited November -1
    Awww, she is so cute! You could name her Nyx. That means night.
  • edited November -1
    Poor dog, all of those ticks.

I hope things continue to go well and that Ninja can deal with a new dog in his space.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, she is super cute! I like the name Oreo.

Ticks are gross! 31 is a lot! Poor girl, Im surprised she had so much energy with all those blood suckers on her! Hopefully the advantix and you removing the ticks will help a lot! Im sure she appreciates it!
  • edited November -1
    Awesome! I'm glad she's safe in your hands. She's super cute!
  • edited November -1
    Holy gross! 31+ ticks is a huge job! I thought 4 was bad! I bet you feel uber itchy now!!!!! Make sure you are killing them after you remove them - I had a zip lock bag full of 91% rubbing alcohol and was dropping them in.
    Poor girl... she was that neglected!?!? You can also put some antiseptic on the tick bite sites if any are red.

What kind of ticks were they? Check out the list Melissa showed me: http://www.tickbegone.com/ticks.php
    Then you can be aware of any tick born illnesses she's now susceptible to. I hope none!!

Best of luck with her! She is lucky to have your care!
  • edited November -1
    She is very, very sweet looking. And thanks for taking her in. Good luck with the rest of the ticks, I am sure she is very appreciative of having them taken off!
  • edited November -1
    Wow Romi, that's quite an adventure!

I'm glad things are going so well. It sounds like Ninja did perfectly on the introduction. That's great too!

I can't wait for more updates.
  • edited November -1
    Jeez, that's a lot of tick. That's so sad! She is so lucky to be with you and John now. She is in good hands!

I agree with Dave, sounds like Ninja did ok! It will just take time, have patients - Ninja has really come a long way.

she is very cute!

----
  • edited November -1
    Holy Moly she is adorable!

The tick thing is disgusting!

If you haven't gotten her one, I aught Piglet how to walk on an Easy Walk Harness in under a week. Pits respond REALLY well to front attached harnesses.

I know 3 pitties named Oreo...

I like Tikka, then again, I love Indian food.
  • edited April 2009
    I LOVE the name Oreo for her! She looks like such a sweetheart!!

thats AWFUL about all of those ticks!! Make sure if they're deer ticks to keep them all and bring them to get tested for Lymes disease. That poor girl!

She's in good hands now though : )
  • edited November -1
    She looks like such a cutie, love the little white on the snout.

Ticks are disgusting, and I agree that you should figure out which kinds of tick(s) she may have. She could have caught some really bad diseases from them, like Lyme disease.

I think both names are cute. Oreo is over used, I feel, and Tikka is kind of reminiscent to all the ticks she's had on her.

What I've found to help get lots of ticks off, albeit may not be the safest for a hyper active dog, is putting some rubbing alcohol on a towel (just enough to make it smell), and wrap it around the dog for about a minute or two. the fumes will KO the ticks, causing them to fall off. It also works as a quick fix for dropping a flea population. We've used this method quite a few times after walking through wooded trails on ourselves, as well as on the cats when the were really infested with fleas.
  • edited November -1
    Beth not to argue with you, but I have been warned against putting anything on a tick (alcohol, vaseline, etc.) because as the tick dies it will regurgitate the contents of it's stomach into your dog. So if the tick has Lymes or another disease you are increasing the odds of infection.

The safest thing to do, is to pull the tick off with your fingers or a tick removing device (like what Jen bought). THEN kill it.