Love - ADOPTED 06/23/09!!!

Comments

• edited November -1
    It was just a thought, ticks are constantly "swapping spit" with their snack, so I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference.
  • edited November -1
    Plus, it doesn't really kill them, it more stuns them
  • edited November -1
    Just saying what both my vets told me.
  • edited November -1
    FWIW, I've been reading the same thing - that aggravating the tick makes it regurgitate before it detaches (if it does). The best is to just get it out without vaseline, oil, burning it, putting alcohol on it, etc.

I did it the wrong way at first though, tried to 'smother' with vaseline. There is so much info on the web, its hard to decipher what works and what doesn't. From my recent experience though, just getting one of those plastic Ticked Off tick removers, removing it and killing it (safely, not with bare hands) is the safest all around route of tick removal.
  • edited November -1
    Wow 31 .....that's just nasty! Revolution is supposed to work for ticks as well. But I don't know that how quickly. I would certainly complete a exterm. of your couch and living area where the dogs normally lounge. I know that ticks will fall off molt and then climb back on. If there are tiny ones you won't see them, so be sure you protect yourself too with preventative clean up.

Poor dog you know no one took care of her properly to begin with. Dogs don't just get 31 ticks all at once. Some vitamin supplements are in order too so she can build up her ferritin count.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    We have been collecting the ticks in a glass jar filled with alcohol. A couple hours after I applied the K9Advantix, I found a few dead ticks on her bed. Guess this stuff really works. I also bought the tick removal tool, so John and I will be able to get the rest of the ticks off her safely tonight.

The Vet visit today went very well. She only weighs 38.5 lbs.! My vet estimated she was between 7-9 months, definitely under 1 year old. He said her heart and lungs sound good and her skin looks pretty good too, probably just give her a nice bath. A good amount of the ticks were on her belly and when we removed them, we saw skin irritations. He said if she starts licking excessively or starts scratching a lot, we just need to put her on some pills. He also told me to watch her behavior, if she becomes lethargic or shows soreness in her joints, we need to bring her in to make sure she doesn't have lyme disease - or treat it if she does. With that many ticks, you never know. So overall, he said she was pretty healthy and a good weight for her size.

While I was paying, a lady and her very overweight mixed breed came in. She said "My dog is very friendly and not threatening at all" and I said "well, I'm not sure about mine, I just picked her up yesterday" and she said " well, lets see how she reacts when I walk in" so she walked in and pittie got so excited! She started play bowing and wanting to play. So I let her go up and she had pretty good manners. She sniffed and continued to play bow and make silly noises. It was cute.

the name OREO just isn't rolling off my tongue very well. But we need to give her a name ASAP! No more of this...hey, over here..*smooch noises* lol
  • edited April 2009
    wow sounds like a good day

for the name...
    i kinda like Truffle : )
    since she's such a sweetie.

: )
  • edited November -1
    I used to have a Rottweiler that my sister named "Sachi/Sacchi" (pure bliss). Everything you've said about that dog so far seems to fit that....

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    She reminds me of an orca. You could name her Keiko after the orca. Keiko is a Japanese name, too, since she's somewhat of an honourary nihon ken.
  • edited November -1
    She's so cute!
    Wow, 31 ticks is a lot of ticks. Poor baby.
    I'm very late to this, but she looks like a Maggie to me...
  • edited November -1
    Lol Heidi stop reading off the member's list for name suggestions ;)
  • edited November -1
    Evan would be flattered...I think:P

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Lol so would Rui ;)
  • edited November -1
    She looks like a Cassie to me.
  • edited November -1
    You can use, Mjöllnir (Thor's Hammer) if you would like.
  • edited April 2009
    LOL Brandon. We haven't heard that suggestion in a while! :-)

BTW, she looks like an Abby (or Abigail) to me.
  • edited November -1
    Ooo I like Dave's suggestion. I like Abby.
  • edited November -1
    oooh Orca is an awesome name for a dog. I'm gonna use that some day!

I'm glad the vet thinks she looks good! Poor darlin', she is one lucky pooch to be in your care!!
    And I'm glad the advantix works so fast! I'm def. switching to it!!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I really like Abby too. You could borrow "Nala" from me - Roxy was supposed to be a "Nala" but it didn't fit. I promise one of my future dogs is going to be named Nala, darnit! lol
  • edited November -1
    I'm pretty partial to the name Keiko... one of my favs for sure!! ;o)

Truffle is totally cute too :oD
  • edited November -1
    Okay, I wasn't doing that on purpose :-P

If you want to be silly and cutesy you could call her Mookie or Shnookums.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Again! Another forum name!! (Mookie)
  • edited November -1
    LOL poor Heidi...

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Ok....I finally gave her a name....Love.

Because she is so lovable and everyone who meets her falls in LOVE!
  • edited November -1
    By the way, she is doing GREAT! I have her confined to my office, but she doesn't mind. I really think she just enjoys being indoors and having a nice bed to sleep on and have toys to play with. She LOVES plush toys and bully sticks! She is doing SO much better on walks. She learns so fast! I also introduced the clicker to her today. She is excellent at sit, watch, and leave it. But she is still trying to figure out "down". I am really surprised how smoothe this transition is going. But feel terrible for keeping Love confined to my office when off leash. We were definitely thinking about keeping her, but Portia has made it a no. I could deal with Ninja not liking a dog, but if Portia doesn't care for a dog (she usually warms up to every dog) then that's got to be a sign that it's not a right fit. As much as John and I have fallen for her, we think she is better off in a home where she can roam around free and get lots of love and attention.

Here is some spam from last night. She started being very playful. She is just too cute and so gentle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We have a few friends who are interested in her, so she may be in her forever home by this weekend!
  • edited November -1
    she is an absolute doll <3 That name is perfect for her! I'm sure whatever home is found for her will be the one she's waited for!
  • edited November -1
    Love is adorable. I hope she finds a great forever home soon!
  • edited November -1
    I think we found Love a home!!!

One of John's brothers old high school friends saw her pic on Facebook and fell in love. She sent the pic to her husband - and he said "GO PICK HER UP NOW!!!"

She gave John a call and he explained everything about Love to her. Her family seems like the PERFECT home for her.

The couple owned a pitbull before when they first got married (experience with the breed is definitely a PLUS!). The husband worked at a Vet (another plus!) and also was a dog trainer (another plus!!!) when he was younger. Unfortunately, their pit got skin cancer and after lots of money and treatment, they had to put her to sleep. They didn't get a dog after that, but had kids. After they had kids they got a Chihuahua. But they still miss their pit. She said she always gets emails about available dogs for adoption (they were looking for a while) but none of the dogs seemed right. First look at Love on John's Facebook, she fell in love instantly, as did her husband. She feeds her chihuahua an organic diet and seems pretty knowledgable about the differece between good foods vs not so good foods. They also understand about vet care (obviously, since her husband worked in that industry for a while) And they are totally down to start training with her. John has been to their house before and said they have a nice home and a huge backyard.

They also said that one of their mutual friends brought over their pit and the chihuahua was fine with it, was playing and seemed to get along really well. We are going to go to their house tomorrow for a home check as well as to see how Love does with their chihuahua and kids. I am crossing my fingers!!! They seem like an excellent couple with experience with the breed as well as training dogs in general. I am stoked!!!

WISH US LUCK!!!
  • edited November -1
    Good Luck to you and especially to LOVE!
  • edited November -1
    Good luck! Sounds like a great home for her, that's wonderful. You guys are great!