Love - ADOPTED 06/23/09!!!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Good luck! It definitely sounds like a perfect fit, so I really hope it works out for Love. Let us know how it goes tomorrow!
  • edited November -1
    Good luck. Miss Love is so lucky that you guys came into her life!
  • edited November -1
    Good luck!!!
  • edited November -1
    So we went to meet the couple this morning at 930. They really like her but but their chihuahua was pretty terrified. They have an awesome backyard and she was having a blast running and playing in their backyard.

They were having guests over the weekend so they said they will think about it and get back to us. They seem like a great family and they have a great space... But I'm not sure how they feel about their chihuahua.

So we'll see what they say. I've gotten a good amount of inqueries from strangers... But when I send my response for information and questions about them and how they plan to care for her, I haven't gotten 1 response back yet.

We got her an easy walk harness this afternoon and tried it on her for our night walk. Her walk was 70% better! (thanks jess!).

Overall, everything is going well at our home, I'm getting tired waking up an hour earlier and walking an extra 2 miles in the morning (walking them seperately) but it's good exercise right?

I have more spam...but I'm writing this post on my iPhone so I'll have to upload those later on tonigt.
  • edited November -1
    *fingers crossed*
  • edited November -1
    That's cool! I hope it works out for her, as they seem like good forever family.
  • edited November -1
    *chanting some voodoo magic* :P
  • edited April 2009
    So...just thought I'd give an update. Today marks 1 week of having Love. We haven't heard back from the couple yet :/ She is doing very well! I have been walking the dogs seperately in the morning and we have been walking them all together at night. She has learned to not be such a spaz when she see's other dogs. She still gets very excited, but we have got her more under control now. Unfortunately, since she is SO excitable around other dogs, I have not let her interact with P or N other than the walks at night.

She has a good appetite and seems to have adjusted to our schedule well. She seems a lot more comfortable now after giving her a nice bath and removing all those nasty ticks!

On the other hand, Ninja is doing fantastic! He was very growly and snappy the first 2-3 days, but yesterday he showed interest and did not react when she tried to approach or play bow. I am not too worried, she is a boisterous girl and Ninja did give her quite a few corrections, but she doesn't take them as corrections. She just goes back into play bow stance and tries to pounce on him. I am more worried for Love than Ninja. lol.

I am very shocked with Portia though. She is usually very accepting of other dogs, but she is in total avoidance mode with Love. She just pretends she is not there and really seems to not want anything to do with her. Kind of strange...

I don't know if I am more confident in myself and Ninja or what, but this transition has been so much easier and not stressful at all. I am quite proud of myself! I was very hesitant since I had that experience with Hanzo...but I'm glad I got over myself and stepped up!

Well, here is some spam...she REALLY loves my couch in my office...anytime I let her out of her pen, straight up on the couch she goes!

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    Yikes! She is just too cute for words in that first pic. :-)

I'm really glad to hear how well Ninja is doing. You should be very proud of him and of yourself!

The different behavior you are seeing in Portia and Ninja could be a result of the sex difference between Love and Hanzo. It came up in another thread, but I suspect it applies here too.
  • edited November -1
    She's so precious. I wish I could take her.
  • edited November -1
    Aww <3

I'm glad everything is going alright.
  • edited November -1
    Every smart dog loves a couch. She is adorable.
  • edited November -1
    I suspect Dave is right, like human females, canine females are often leery of new girls in the group (LOL). Think about how long it has taken Piglet to accept Miko. Although she HAD accepted her (and Piglet doesn't like other dogs). Walking them as a group is a great start to getting them cool with each other.

I would bet the other issue, since Portia has never really shown major issues with new dogs you haven't had to devote the kind of energy to her in this regard, the way you have Ninja. If you wanted to get them cool with each other, I would suggest a lot of the techniques you have used with Ninja, as well as some simple click-and-treat work so Portia sees Love as someone who gets her delicious wonderful things.

She is freaking adorable BTW.
  • edited April 2009
    oh Love!!!! She's too much!

Hooray for Ninja, all things considered I think you and he are doing really well together in this situation! But Portia! THat is surprising.
  • edited November -1
    Oh man, she is super cute!

I'm with Dave and Jess on why P may be strange around her.

Also, dogs tend to ignore things they are weary of. Maybe she just doesn't know how to take Love's energy?

----
  • edited April 2009
    Yeah, I agree, I think Portia doesn't know how to react to Love's energy. We want to work with Love on controlling herself when she see's other dogs first...hopefully Portia will get more interested after Love stops trying to pounce on her every chance she gets. If that doesn't help, we will probably start some training with Portia as Jess mentioned.

Sigh...apparently Love is going into heat. John mentioned to me that in the morning after she pee'd, little drops followed and they were brownish red. I took a look at her and her privates seem swollen. Hopefully it will be a short one! I've never had to deal with a dog in heat - any tips?

ETA: Unfortunately, the couple decided not to take Love. Their son told them he was scared of her and the whole deal with their chihuahua. They have decided to look for a smaller, less energetic, kid friendly dog.
  • edited November -1
    Piglet bled all 21 days when she went into heat.... And she bled a lot. That said, she was about 7 years old. If Love does bleed considerably which pit bitches can, save your money on doggy diapers. Buy boys tighty whiteys, and overnight maxi pads. Put the underwear on her backwards so her tail can go through the slot.

That could also explain Portia not being thrilled with Love.
  • edited November -1
    LOL Jess. I can totally see Piggy in backwards Superman Under-roos!
  • edited November -1
    I will post a better update when I have more time, but I just wanted to say...Bitches in Heat SUCK!
  • edited April 2009
    Whew! I finally have a minute to actually post and read threads!

Love is doing great! She is doing very well with training and I am socializing the shit out of her! LOL. I have been taking her out on 30 minute walks 4 times a day instead of the schedule my other 2 are on. We have been meeting lots of new people and dogs on our walks. And she still continues to love everyone she meets (except children...I haven't let any kids come up, since I don't know how she'll do, even though she seems excited to see them). She does great with dogs her size or bigger who can handle her. She plays really nice with them. Small dogs just can't stand a chance with her play style. She get really excited and paws A LOT, pounces and jumps up on them. So i've come to the conclusion it's probably best that if she goes to a multi-dog household, it needs to be a dog her size or larger.

Love in heat is a pain in the ass! Her pen is in my office - that has white carpet! John was a smarty pants the other night and left one of the crate locks unlocked and of course she got out. She is also a diaper escape artist so of course she got out of that as well. I came into a room with red spots all over the carpet and couch. UGH! It took me hours to steam clean all the spots in the carpet and I had to throw all the couch covers in the wash. I did a lot of R&D on the diaper situation the past few days and finally came to a solution!

First I bought Depend Diapers because they were only 10 bucks for 20 at the Albertsons and they didn't have boys underwear. Those didn't work at all, she slid out of them like nothing. The next day I bought boys tighty whities as Jess mentioned and put the overnight pad. She was crawling on her side and sliding them off too! Aparently I got too big of size. Yesterday I came up with the plan: I cut part of the tighty whities to make it so her knees wouldn't get caught and pull them down. I also cut a higher tail hole. I then cut holes in the waist band about 1 inch apart all around and threaded elastic through them and tied it off in the back. I did that last night and so far no escaping the diaper! I also laid old bed sheets on the couch, her bed, and over most of the carpet.

*sigh* 8 days down...hopefully 13 more days to go or less!

I also got her records FINALLY. She is up to date on all her shots and her spay has been paid for by the previous owner as mentioned. I am hoping to get her spayed by mid May and then get her evaluated and tested for behavior by a professional to make sure she gets placed in the right forever home. Her birthdate is also 09/12/08...so she is actually 7 months. Looking at the first post I made to this one...my friend was off on a lot of things about her.

Unfortunately, I lost my camera charger...so these pics are from my phone. Some diaper shots, lol.

With the Depend Diaper
    Photobucket

With my custom diaper :)

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    Aww so cute. It's so great on what you're doing for her Romi.
  • edited November -1
    She is adorable... I just love her face.
  • edited April 2009
    Even with the "diaper", she's breath taking.
  • edited November -1
    Love is so cute! Even in an old lady diaper!
  • edited November -1
    LOL. That's too cute. :-)

I'm glad it is working out so well with her.

How are Ninja and Portia doing with her?
  • edited November -1
    poor love :o( She looks so sad!
  • edited May 2009
    Well, I just got home with Love after her spay. She was terrified of the E-Collar at the clinic, they said she peed and pooped everywhere when they tried to put it on, so I should try when I get home. I got home and put it on with little fight from Love. She is definitely scared of it. When it's on, she doesn't move, she just freezes and sometimes is shaking. Once I go over to her and comfort her, she is fine. I put it on her while she was laying down in her crate, and she hasn't moved!

Unfortunately, this past week, I noticed Love had A LOT of dandruff, so I ran the furminator through her and large clumps of hair started coming out, with dead skin/scabs attached. I also noticed that there was no hair around her eyes (see pics) So I had the vet do a skin scrape and she does in fact have Demodex Mange :( . So I got a 3 supply of ProMeris (topical treatment) that I need to apply every other week. Then have another skin scrape done 6 weeks from now to be sure it's gone.

Here are some pics from last week:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Here are her post-spay pics:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Her cone is freaking humongous!!!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Romi! In the first pic, her coat looks AMAZING!!!!!! She is such a beautiful girl!! I hope she recovers quickly from her spay - and crossing my fingers that her forever home pops up soon!
  • edited November -1
    Love is such a perfect name for her!

The Demo mange is rough, but at least not contagious to the other dogs (right??).

How are your two handling Love?
  • edited November -1
    She's SUCH a pretty girl. ~