Wish - UPDATE

edited January 2009 in Rescue
This is from the Akita Rescue of West NY. Poor wish. Such a heartbreaking tale.

Photobucket

It started with an email from a very caring ACO who had found a stray Akita in DEPLORABLE condition! well honestly we get these emails so often I thought maybe it really wasn't that bad. But when I viewed the pictures, I realized this was indeed a case of BEYOND DEPLORABLE condition.

Photobucket

This poor female is only 46 pounds and was severely dehydrated -- needing 5 bags of fluids! She was in the ACO's estimation starving and probably running loose for several years. Luckily this caring ACO found her! The ACO and the staff named her WISH because they felt she had been wishing for someone to care enough to help and she must be wishing for a better life because her will to live is STRONG!

Photobucket

The ACO did some investigation and found -- YES AGAIN -- this dog was microchipped to the Hunte Corporation who sells MANY, MANY, MANY Akita puppies to pet stores in our area among others. When the ACO contacted Hunte Corp., they offered the date of birth and color of the Akita found! Well my thoughts here are for another day and another fight. Right now we need to focus on Wish and her rehab.

Turns out Wish is 8.5 years of age. The ACO uses a local Vet office for stray holds and Wish was in good hands. Further tests found she had sarcoptic mange, was lymes positive, but luckily HW negative and fecal negative. Wish needs hand feeding for the moment but she is hanging on. As soon as she is well enough to travel -- hopefully another week from 1/9/09 -- she will be taken to a vet in Massachusetts who is a wonderful supporter of ARWNY's rescue efforts. His vet tech, Cassi, is a volunteer with ARWNY and has fostered special need dogs in the past. Wish will be taken there for her rehab and her recovery. Then she will need a forever, permanent, loving home where she will never fear for food or safety.

Photobucket

This wonderful dog needs us now and ARWNY begs you will reach deep and send whatever you can to help cover vet expenses, recovery, and rehab for Wish. Please help us to save this deserving soul -- Wish needs you now more than ever!!
Help ARWNY to not let her down!

Akita Rescue of WNY

Comments

• edited November -1
    Oh my, I just cried. That is awful, but Im so glad this girl is on her way to recovery! And coming to my state! HMMMMM....thoughts racing....
  • edited November -1
    Stories like these make me both angry and happy at the same time. They are both heart breaking and heart warming. Wish deserved better. But it sounds like she is in the best possible care she can get at the moment. I have a feeling there is a wonderful forever home in her future. She's clearly a special girl.
  • edited January 2009
    The poor girl .....you can't even tell what color she once was. Were they able to track what pet store she was from. They may have records on who they sold to. I guess that really doesn't matter at this point.

I hope she fully recovers and has not used too much of her reserves damaging vital organs. That she made it this far is quite a miracle! I have seen two shibas similar to this and they did survive so I always say where there is life there is hope. Recovery time will take a while since it needs to happen slowly. Big kudos to the shelter worker and rescue folks who were willing to help her.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Akita Rescue WNY has done a wonderful job in the past, so I KNOW that Wish is in good hands.

Juju in NYC Shelter (This was a REALLY heartbreaking case):

Photobucket

Here's Juju after all-breed group fostering:

Photobucket

ARWNY has taken on the care of a very sad neglect case. More will be posted, along with pictures, on our website but the gist of it is this: JuJu was given up when his owner lost his housing in NYC. He was taken to a shelter & pulled out by an all-breed group right before ARWNY's rep got there to take him out. This group then put him into foster care (after several bad placements first) while he was healthy and weighed 85 lbs. 2 months later, he was rushed to the vet clinic in NYC weighing only 42 lbs, emaciated, dehydrated, unable to walk without falling, and certainly on the brink of death.

Juju Today:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Many of you have asked to be updated on our Juju that was starved down to 40 pounds and left to die in CT,
    when ARWNY stepped in to save this beautiful fellow.

Right now Juju is a whooping 87 pounds! Looking buff and has really come around. Juju has had a few ups and downs medically, however, it does not stop him from enjoying a good time with his foster family in the snow and a toy! ARWNY thanks Joann and Matt and Max and Arizona for providing the love to get JuJu physically healthy -- emotionally he will need more time to trust again.
  • edited November -1
    Gosh so handsome! Yeah not all "rescues" are created equal that's for sure. I hope charges where filed!

I have heard many good things about ARWNY so I am glad they were there to help bring him back to his former glory!

Juju is really a beautiful dog! Thanks for sharing his turn around.
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    This makes me angry at the people that let these dogs get to the state they did, but at the same time , seeing JuJu makes me believe that Wish has a real shot at a good life. Poor girl, she deserved so much better from the start, they both did.
  • edited November -1
    Poor babe <3 Much MUCH MUCH love to her!!!! <3 ~
  • edited November -1
    That is horrible. Wish has pressure sores...dogs don't just get those overnight. I am so glad she is in safe hands now.
  • edited November -1
    wow.. my heart actually just ached a little. All life is precious and this sort of thing just kills me because it doesn't even take much to give a dog the most basic of its needs to prevent this physical/emotional/psychological damage.

Please post any updates you get on Wish.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I'm speechless. I'm so thankful she's in safe hands now.
  • edited November -1
    There isn't much to say that other people have not. I hope that Wish can get back to being healthy and enjoy a few good years.
  • edited November -1
    I think what kills me most about Wish is that she is an older dog. I certainly don't wish this on ANY dog, but it pains me more to see an older dog in this condition. Who knows just how long she's been on the streets! I'm guessing that she was someone's dog at one point of time which is why she was so unable to fend for herself on the streets. Who knows.

I'll post updates as I get them.
  • edited November -1
    I just check ARWNY website and found an update on Wish - She looks great!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

From ARWNY website:
    As our welcome page shows, Wish has a sad story to tell. Wish was found hiding under some boards in a barn trying to keep her bones warm. At the time, she was only 42 pounds, and was almost bald due to mange. In the dead of winter in rural NH, our Wish was still trying desperately to hang on to the little bit of life she had left within her body. That was then and this is now!! With intensive care, lots of love, time, and devotion, Wish is now whole again! She plays, eats, and is enjoying her life. Wish is an 8.5 year old spayed female Akita who is excellent in the home, is very well behaved with children over 10, and aims to please. Wish is tolerant of cats, and can live happily with a nice male dog. Wish is heartworm negative, lymes positive and being treated, up to date on shots, spayed, and fecal clear. This beautiful gal has been through so much and is now ready for her new home.
  • edited November -1
    YAY! Happy story!
  • edited November -1
    I am so glad to hear that Wish is bouncing back!

Best of luck to her and many thanks to ARWNY!
  • edited November -1
    Wow she is really looking improved. What a happy ending to this story, and a wonderful family for taking her in.
  • edited November -1
    Actually, sorry I wasn't clear - I was just so excited at how well she was doing. That's her foster family in the pix, she's still looking for a permanent home. But what a lucky pup! Looks like a great temporary home.
  • edited November -1
    I so glad that everything is starting to look better for Wish
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I'm so happy to hear good news for Wish!! What a strong girl!
  • edited November -1
    oh my gosh! She looks (and sounds) fabulous!
  • edited November -1
    wow...what a tale...both heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time. I truly, truly hope she finds a loving family of her own to live out her adult/senior years in warmth and comfort.
  • edited November -1
    The transformation from the dull lifeless look in her eyes to the vibrant ones we see as her foster family showers her with attention and affection is amazing.

I've been in a bad mood today but this really is an uplifting story that I'm glad I read.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    You people who help out these innocent dogs who are victims of the worst humanity has to offer our saints! I am hoping within the next year to be able to become much more active in rescue. I feel so bad for these innocent dogs who want nothing more than to love a human. They have been betrayed in the worst way. It is good to know that there are selfless volunteers who help out these dogs in need.
  • edited November -1
    It's great to see she's on her way back to good form! I hope she finds a forever family soon.
  • edited November -1
    its great to see her making such a great recovery, reading her story initially brought tears of sadness, but reading this update just brought tears of joy.
    hope she will find her warm forever home soon!
    gambate wish!
  • edited November -1
    thanks for posting the update - always makes me feel good when I see this kind of news.
  • edited November -1
    Yay Wish! She looks awesome! ~
  • edited November -1
    Wish finally has found a forever home!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    OMG! I am so glad that she was found in time! It is so great when I hear stories like this... with happy endings! It's so terrible to think of what Wish went through... ugh. I hope she finds a great home! Thank you to all who were involved and helped her recover!
  • edited November -1
    That's awesome! Great news!
    I wish Wish and her family the best luck in the World!