Look who showed up!

edited June 2009 in Rescue
Well, I was taking a break from fostering until I built my fence, but this guy parked himself on my porch and told me to foster him. I called local animal control, which works closely with the agency I foster for, so he's got a three-day waiting period to see if his owners are looking for him and then he goes up for adoption. I'll put up a sign at the post office, too, but based on how lost he was acting, it seems like he was dumped.

I've been calling him Brown Bear.

Photobucket

Comments

• edited November -1
    Awww, He is cute. He looks young, do you have an idea of age?
  • edited November -1
    Brown Bear is a good name for him, maybe even Grizzly. Is he in the house now, or are you still keeping him outside?

His collar looks old and worn, and it looks like he may have been tied up with plastic twine? Is he filthy like he has been outside a long time? His nails don't look very long in that picture, looks pretty healthy actually.
  • edited November -1
    AAAwwwwww Brown Bear. Very cute. That was the name of my favorite teddy bear as a child. His fur on his chest looks just like my teddy. I wanna snuggle him =0)
  • edited November -1
    He's awesome! Good luck.
  • edited November -1
    Brown Bear... lol... Anyone else watch Scrubs?

Anyway, he is VERY cute. I am sure he will be adopted out pretty quickly if he is as cuddly as he looks! :)
  • edited November -1
    omg so cute! Perfect name i would say. Yeah, he does look like he was tied up and escaped.
  • edited November -1
    Casey...what's that make Tojo, "Vanilla Bear"? :)

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    He's a cutie!! Love the name!!
  • edited November -1
    AW! He's so cute. ~
  • edited November -1
    Ah, he is cute! Perfect name. Congrats!!!(??)

----
  • edited November -1
    Cute guy! Is his coat supposed to be like that, or is he shedding or dirty? Hope he's having a good vacation at your house until he finds his way home or a new family takes him.
  • edited November -1
    Looks like a Chesapeake- if he is- then his coat is supposed to look like that. the dark face and curly coat are very Chessie.
  • edited November -1
    "Looks like a Chesapeake" that's what i though too. he might still be young too.
  • edited June 2009
    I thought Chessie Retriever, too, Chrys!
    http://www.cbrrescue.org/

Love Brown Bear (scrubs!)
    Call him Turk.
  • edited November -1
    Oh yeah, he does look like the chessie... the eyes, especially. He is dirty and wet in that picture, but he looked the same after I washed him and he dried off, too. His fur is pretty greasy, so he probably is a chessie. I should take him to the vet to get scanned. If he's purebred he might have a chip.

His nails are short. They don't look trimmed, though, they look worn from a lot of walking. Hard to say. He was really dirty, but it doesn't take long to get dirty. He had obviously been swimming in the pond and rolling in manure. It does look like he was tied up, so I'll talk to some of my neighbours. I don't have a lot of neighbours, so that won't take long. I'll put up a sign at the post office, too. I'm not sure how old he is, but he walks really stiff in the hind legs. He gets around okay, just stiff... and he only ever runs a metre or so, then he stops. He isn't neutered, so if he did escape, that might explain the wanderlust. Maybe he could smell Skella? She's not in heat or anything, though.

I also noticed just today that he has a small puncture in the top of his head. I wonder if he was bitten. It looks a few days old.
  • edited November -1
    He looks colorpoint, just for fun I want to call him a Siamese Mountain Bear Dog, lol. He's cute! He looks in pretty decent shape too. It's good that your keeping him for awhile.

I hope he finds his home soon. Whether it'd be "former" or "new", so long as it's a good family. Poor baby might have gotten into a few "tuffs & scrapes" on his way to your place.
  • edited November -1
    Farm Dog?? It looks like twine on the collar? Keep us posted - He's such a cute guy!!
  • edited November -1
    Well, we found the owner. Someone I know from church, actually. He sure came a long way to get here! I guess he's been missing for a while. He seems to really like it here, I almost wonder if he'll come back. Apparently, he doesn't get much attention or exercise at his house :-(.
  • edited November -1
    Hey Heidi,
    How long is "long"? and how long is a "while"? I can't imagine how distraught I'd be to find my pet missing, nor imagine the kind of euphoria and relief to know the dog has been found.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    lol... sorry. 10 miles-ish and a few days. They haven't come to get him yet.
  • edited November -1
    WHAT? I would have gotten my dog abck RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    I know! They've known for a whole day now! I should drop subtle hints that they should leave him here. :-) I think swimming in a pond and playing with kids and other dogs is more fun than being on a tie-out all day.
  • edited November -1
    Aw, I'm more sad for Brown Bear than I am happy he found his owners.... a Chessie would be a fun addition to your dog compound :)
  • edited November -1
    I second Jen...~
  • edited November -1
    I'd be dropping hints about leaving him with you lol. For sure. I think it's rather obvious they're not too attached to him...?
  • edited November -1
    Agreed, especially if you really like the dog.

OR, if they truely want him back, perhaps offer a "doggie daycare" type of thing for him? What'd they get him for anyways...just as a pet??? He does make for a cute "lawn ordament" but no doggie should be this full time! He needs adventure and a job.
  • edited November -1
    I don't think people who leave their dog on a tie out all the time believe in anything related to doggie day care, much less would they want to drive 20 extra miles per day so their dog could play with other dogs. If they were interested in turing him over to you, that would be great, however they probably think "he's just a dog, and he belongs outside."
  • edited November -1
    When they call to come get him say he ran away again and just keep him :)
  • edited November -1
    Hmm... he's still here. I'll be dropping hints like crazy when they come.

I wonder why people like that get dogs in the first place. If you're not going to interact with your dog, what's the point?
  • edited November -1
    If he's STILL there, I wouldn't even drop hints lol. I'd blatantly say "I think the dog would have a happier life if he just stayed with me. You better have a good excuse for why you haven't come to pick him up."

Isn't there a 3 day period (from the date he arrived at your place) for his owners to come and pick him up before he officially goes up for adoption? There's your chance. Adopt him. =0)

Oh, and re-name him Turk. I love it! hahaha oh scrubs...