Love - ADOPTED 06/23/09!!!

Comments

• edited November -1
    She's a beauty. Poor thing, first diapers now a cone. She's very lucky to have you taking care of her. Hope she feels better soon.
  • edited November -1
    Aww *melts* If only we were the right home for her.
  • edited November -1
    Love is so lucky to have you, Romi. She is super cute - I'm sure she is as happy as you are to be past her first heat - it's rough on them! Sux you have to deal with DM now too, but it will be gone before you know it. She probably got it from being a bit stressed.

----
  • edited November -1
    Didn't they give an oral antibiotic with the Promeris? The 2 should go hand in hand. It works really well, I think it took about a month for them to die. And then all the fur grows back.

It's not contegious (sp?). From what I understand it's something the dog already has (it's inactive) but they don't normally "grow" (become active). Usually it is more "common" for young pups under stress but it can also happen to older young dogs at around 2 or 3 years of age. As long as it is treated early, it's nothing to worry about it.

I think the oral medication is call Ivermectin.

I hope the next 2 weeks go by quickly for her. Does she have to have the e-cone on her for the full 2 weeks or just 1 week?
  • edited November -1
    I'm not sure if they gave her the oral, they just gave me 3 tubes of Promeris.

Demodex Mange is not contagious, and yes, it is a mite that puppies are born with. But they usually dont cause any issues to healthy dogs/puppies with strong immune systems. Dogs/puppies who flare up with demodex mange is due to a weak immune system. I think in Love's case (as brad mentioned) it was probably due to stress which weakened her system and out came the mange.

Sarcoptic Mange on the other hand is very contagious, even to humans...we call them scabies.

Love is almost back to her old self. I switched her cone to a blow up e-collar and she seems a lot more comfortable, but at night I put the cone back on, just to make sure she doesn't get to it while I'm sleeping.

Jen - N and P are pretty used to her. I still keep them seperated though. But I'll let them come in my office and hang out if Love is in her crate or I'll put N and P intheir crates and let Love roam the house for a few hours each night. I think the main issue is that 1. Love is very excitable and rough in play. 2. She is bigger. So, she doesn't do well with Portia because she is bigger than her and rough, I don't think Portia knows how to correct a dog, so she just gets scared and runs away or hides behind me. Ninja knows how to correct, but again, she is larger and his corrections don't phase her.

So, my conclusion...if I ever get a 3rd dog that is going to be larger than my two, it will definitely have to be a puppy that can grow with N and P - so that they aren't intimidated by size, even if the puppy is rough and rude at first, like Love.

Love definitely would benefit with a larger male who can tame her. My behaviorist temperament tested Love with one of her male Aussies. He barked at her when she was getting over-excited and *poof* in an instant, she backed off and approached him in a much more calm manner. It was really neat to watch. But, Ninja and Portia both don't possess that type of confidence.
  • edited November -1
    I SOOOOOOOOOOOO LOVE Love - I can't wait til she finds that home that's perfect for her!!!

A friend of mine is getting rid of doggy crates and xpens from her parents house, I'm hoping to get in on the action so we can foster puppies after we move :o)
  • edited November -1
    Just thought I'd give a LOVE update :)

She is officially READY FOR ADOPTION!!! She has recovered from her spay beautifully and she needs 1 last topical treatment for her Demo Mange, and then she'll be on the road of recovering her coat!

A rescue/placement group called BarksofLove.org invited me to a big adoption event last sunday. We attended from 930am-230pm . It was great meeting people from the rescue as well as socializing Love with the other rescue dogs and potential adopters. It was jam packed and Barks of Love ended up adopting out 14 puppies/dogs and placing 4 dogs in foster to adopt homes! It was a great success for them!

Love played wonderfully with all the other pitties there and she was very well behaved. This was the first time I took her out since her spay, so I was unsure of how she would react in such a busy public place. But she did awesome!!! It was also a GREAT place to work on her training and focus. She nailed it! I got my treats and clicker out and just started giving her commands. People were pretty impressed that she was actually listening and watching me with all the dogs and people around. It was great because a lot of people started asking me about clicker training and what it was all about. I'm glad to get the word out about it! I thought clicker training was pretty popular, but a lot of people there had never even heard of it!

She is a prime example of a great dog in the rescue system. Who knows where she came from, no prior training, no high quality diet, no schedule, no home to call her own - behaving like a perfect angel. And most of the other dogs there were the same, except for a couple...but you get my point.

Anyways, here are some updated photo's from earlier today - you can really see her hairloss in these (I called my vet last week because I noticed it was getting worse and he said it was perfectly normal to lose more hair during the treatment - as long as she isn't scratching - which she isn't - her fur should grow back in a few months)

Sweet Love

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    Aww she looks fantastic. Any potential homes for her?
  • edited November -1
    Such a pretty pup /sigh.

Hope she finds a good home!
  • edited November -1
    CUTE!
  • edited November -1
    Are those spots from where all the ticks were? Poor Love, she looks fantastic though and is so lucky to have you! I hope she finds a great home soon!
  • edited November -1
    I'm surprised she doesn't have a home yet. She's such a darling!
  • edited November -1
    Kristin, I don't think so...most of the ticks were on her belly and legs. It's kind of strange how she just has spots all over...I always thought mange usually starts out somewhere and just spreads from that one spot. You can't see the hairless spots unless the light hits her right.

She is being a champ though! Her spirit is always so happy! Nothing gets her down! I am contacted more rescues to see if they will allow me to attend their events....like at Petco or Petsmart...hopefully I'll find this little girl a home soon!...I'm also putting together an email to get the word out about her :) More updates to come soon!
  • edited November -1
    Romi,
    also contact the Pin Ups for Pit Bulls Myspace. Jen who handles the account can cross post her to our network which is in the thousands. Tell her you are a friend of mine (just say Jessica, Miss October).
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Jess! I just messaged her :D
  • edited November -1
    Another Love accomplishment that makes her THAT much better....SHE IS APPROVED TO ATTEND DAYCARE! Usually we don't accept full breed Pitbulls in the daycare (most daycares dont allow them at all :T ), unless they started with us as a pup and don't show any "bully" behavior as they age. But I asked my behaviorist if we can try it out and she said sure!

She did great! They had to put a gentle leader on her in the beginning, not because of aggressive behavior or anything, but she was just super energized and kept on doing zoomies. Once the gentle leader was on, she calmed down instantly and after a couple hours, they removed the gentle leader and she was doing great! Playing with dogs and just hanging out with the staff.

She is awesome!
  • edited November -1
    That is such great news, Romi! Hopefully Love will find her forever home soon. She sounds like such a wonderful little gal.
  • edited November -1
    Awesome news. Congrats to you and love.
  • edited November -1
    LOVE FOUND HER FOREVER HOME!!!!!!!!!

Love went to her new home today! One of my co-workers family adopted her. I brought her to work today and my co-worker came to take her to meet the family. I got a text from her saying "they love her!" Then a couple hours later, they asked if she could spend the night...and then around 730pm, i got a text saying "we're keeping her!!! lets finalize this!" So I drove over to their place...VERY NICE! Huge backyard with lots of grass and space for her to play. They also have a male husky who adored her. It was seriously like a match made in heaven. They played soooo well together and they are cuddlers! SO CUTE!

My first successful foster!!! Now I can understand why people are in rescue - it is such an awesome feeling!!!!

Thank you all for helping me through my first foster! I appreciate it!!!

YAY!!! I'm so happy right now!!!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats Romi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    w00t w00t w00t!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! :)
  • edited November -1
    Yahoo! Doesn't that feel so good?
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations!

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    You go, Romi! Good job!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats!

That is freakin' awesome! Yay for Love! And for you!
  • edited November -1
    You did great Romi, we are all so proud of you! Congrats to finding a great dog their perfect home.
  • edited November -1
    GREAT JOB ROMI!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Great news!
    And great job finding her a good home, Romi!
  • edited November -1
    Great news for Love. Good job Romi!