Shikoku on Craigslist

edited August 2009 in Rescue
I was doing some more research on Shikokus when a strange website was on the search page. A craigslist for a dog for sale. I didn't know if you all knew about this but I did know that it was your mission to never see a Shikoku in an Animal Shelter. I would hate for this dog to be bought be someone who doesn't understand the breed.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pet/1312942567.html

Can someone help this Shikoku?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hm, I wonder if there's a Shikoku rescue in the area...
  • edited November -1
    Kyla, there's no Shikoku rescue because there are only a handful of Shikoku in North America. Most of them belong to members here.

I must say, that picture either has odd lighting or that is an oddly coloured Shikoku. It looks like a cream with a dark back. I sent the poster an email to find out more information. I'm thinking of contacting Peggy with this link to see what she says.

Jacksonville is in Florida, right? Maybe we can send Osy in! :D
  • edited November -1
    OMG OSY WOULD FLIP!!!!!! hahahahaha. Awesome. =0D

Wow, I didn't realize how rare Shikoku actually are in North America. I hadn't really heard about them before joining here, but I guess I just assumed that they were more popular since they're discussed so much here.
  • edited November -1
    There is a chance that she could have adopted a mixed breed and felt it looked enough like a shika to be considered one. I don't know, for the price you would pay for one, $50 doesn't sound like much. Plus shouldn't the breeder be informed that they no longer want their dog
  • edited November -1
    Beth, in an ideal world we'd all like to hope that they'd contact their breeder, but unfortunately that's not always the case =0(. It makes me sad. At least they're not trying to make a big profit off the dog or anything. It could be worse... It could be like that lady who was trying to sell a "very rare special cream Shiba" for a bajillion dollars.
  • edited November -1
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a large Shiba (isn't Toby Shikoku-sized?) that was adopted from a shelter as a pup. I think Peggy's first litter is only 2 years old, so it can't be one of hers. She's very light to be one of Katja's. The only other option is that she was imported from Japan... and I think if you went to all that trouble to bring a dog into the country, you wouldn't want to part with it so quickly.
  • edited November -1
    That's not a Shikoku. Look at the nose, and the stop.
  • edited November -1
    LMFAO Guys, I'm up for helping out ne shikoku! lol Jacksonville is about 3hours away from me one way...road trip! lol

I'm agreeing with the others, doesn't look like a Shika to me. Sounds like they wanted to "make" the dog a shikoku so she would be adopted quicker. [ obtaining a rare breed, marketing. ]

This is definitely interesting, but fishy.

Methinks also, that both Katja & Peggy require the dogs to be returned to them first if the owner's can not keep them. I believe it's in their contracts, tho I'm not 100% sure. ~
  • edited November -1
    It did seem to look oddly colored and the nose, I thought, was just the funny camera angle but I'm no expert.

I'm interested to hear what the poster tells you Nekopan. If the dog is a mix, large Shiba or lightly colored Shikoku will be interesting.

This response is amazing though, which is another reason I was so confused as to why a Shika owner would give their dog up like that. You all care so much about your dogs and (even if the dog is odd looking), I had to post it just in case it is a Shika in need.
  • edited November -1
    The more I look at it, the less it looks like a Shikoku. I'm almost certain this is a Shiba or a Shiba mix. I'm interested in hearing back from the poster.
  • edited November -1
    That little dog isnt any pure nihon ken. The black saddle is a dead give away. They probably adopted the dog and looked up what they thought to be the closest looking. Many people that adopt dogs just give the dog whatever breed name they think resembles their dog. I know people that thought if a dog was brindle it was a pit bull or a pit mix (yeah, dumb). The ad says the 'shikoku' does the "shiba howl"...and gets along with cats AND rabbits And snakes...to me, for any nihon ken to get along with all of these is not very characteristic of any of them.
  • edited November -1
    Not a Shikoku from the pic, a mix for sure of some spitz breed.
  • edited November -1
    That is really strange...
    ...I'm curious too as to what the poster has to say. I wonder if the current owner actually believes this dog is a Shikoku or just trying to "pitch" the adoption sale.

Thanks for the heads up though, I'm glad to see/hear that others are keeping a "look-out". / Kyla, we are the Shikoku rescue - current & future Shikoku owners & fanciers alike -smiles-.
  • edited November -1
    Did you all request more pics of this dog? Perhaps its an import? Not all dogs of the same breed always look a like.

I guess I'll email them for more information.
  • edited November -1
    I have a feeling that she did find a home for the dog since she had put two posts up, the one we're discussing which was posted on August 8th and another posted on the 7th ( http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pet/1311364814.html ).

After that, there are no more posts about the dog that I could find. When it comes to re-homing a dog through craigslist, so long as your post doesn't offend anyone enough to flag it, it can go pretty quickly. Or she just gave up, realized no one wants a dog and child reactive dog, and dumped it at the shelter.
  • edited August 2009
    A link to her pets album, definitely looks like a mix:
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=306033323&albumId=936596&authKey=Ho6dZJq/qVu5Noe12z9G9mK0TgBKsxVcNKZNBpeCcal7AVOMNV4hpMcNN8fpkm1OxfD04BwTFESF85u1PbmRhgAQpuwJtm4cACU59MEO+s0=

It's a Myspace album

who? me?
    muah!!! kisses
    nayla being sweet VERY RARE
    Damn, I wish myspace would let you embed bigger pics

We should probably make this thread members only if it isn't already
  • edited November -1
    That is a shiba/shepherd mix
  • edited November -1
    Apparently her Uncle used to breed them and he gave her one
  • edited November -1
    Her uncle used to breed Shikoku?
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, heard back. She's convinced its a Shikoku. And its definitely not good with other dogs at all.

Why is she calling it Shikoku? Did her uncle call them that?!
  • edited August 2009
    Maybe, to make it sound cool or unique. Some people also believe that a shikoku is not a breed but a mix, in a similar form as how an alaskan husky is actually a mix between Sibe and greyhound or some other breed.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with others in that it's not a Shikoku, or any other purebred Japanese spitze. The ears are also off. The head, and the fur from the pictures, not just the color, is also off.

Japanese spitze also don't tend to carry "cape" fur characteristic like Sibes or GSDs do.

Well, I hope she can find a home for it regardless..

It reminds me one time on petfinder, I saw a hound mix labelled as an "SE Ovcharka" and the explanation was that "nobody knows what an Ovcharka is anyway, so he might as well be one"...
  • edited August 2009
    irrespective of what breed(s) it is, it's a pretty dog. Hope it finds a good new home.
  • edited November -1
    Well, Beth beat me to it. She insists it's a Shikoku, says her uncle used to breed them and gave this one to her stepson for his birthday.

This looks like a very light redheaded black and tan Shiba. Actually, they mention that they shave her during summer (yikes!) so that could account for the lighter colour. yukidomari, if you look at Tosca, and some other Shibas on here that are purebred, they do have the darker "cape".

I'm not sure what we should do from here. It's obviously not a Shikoku. She's not going to believe that it's not a Shikoku. Perhaps we could direct her to a Shiba rescue?
  • edited November -1
    I directed her to savingshibas.com

Its in her hands now
  • edited August 2009
    Oh, I know it can happen.. it's just not standard or really so common. Now, an un-caped Sibe (besides an all white)? Less common! ;)

As for shaving it.. well, I guess that could account for why the fur looks the way it does.. Poor shaved pup, though..
  • edited November -1
    I find it odd she says her "Shikoku" is dog and kid reactive... in the pictures with the stepson the dog doesn't look upset. The only thing I can think of is that they're letting the toddler harrass the dog - in which case, I'd be really stressed out too! They also have two other dogs - a boxer mix and a boxer puppy. I don't know about you, but if my first dog didn't get along with other dogs, I wouldn't add more to my household.
  • edited November -1
    yukidomari, do you mean like a pie-bald sibe?
  • edited November -1
    I think the boxer was first and she did mention that the Toddler was teasing it and you know how little kids are
  • edited November -1
    Beth, I was thinking more along the lines of an uniformed color Sibe.. not necessarily piebald. Though I have seen "reverse" colored (dark with white accenting) instead of white with dark accenting, too! Looks interesting.