Jiro went home today.

Comments

• edited November -1
    What a cute little dude! He seems highly responsive and interactive. He should have no trouble finding a new home -smiles-.
  • edited November -1
    we'll see. I want another dog but Dawn isn't so sure. I can't wait to meet him though.
  • edited November -1
    how big is he and how much does he weigh?
  • edited November -1
    Ahh! He is handsome!
  • edited November -1
    What a handsome guy! He and your girl should do ok together it sounds like. Also sounds like a good idea to be extra careful with your boy Kitsu until Jiro is neutered (hopefully he is tolerant of other males). What an exciting addition!
  • edited November -1
    He's beautiful!
  • edited November -1
    Exciting? Or eventful!? We truly didn't plan on it one bit, it actually through our real plans for a loop - to meet up with lots of other doggies this month in WI. Oh well, I'm glad to have him. He's a nice boy so far.

Joe - he's got a more "athletic" build than my male does, but they are very similar in size, I would say he's roughly 23lbs. He's right on target for an adult male Shiba Inu really. And a charmer! He's very playful with people, like he had this sort of one-on-one attention once and is making up for missed time..

He met Tsuki indoors today:

Still haven't let him and Kitsu interact freely, but no growl from either when they met nose to nose on either sides of the baby gate. I'm hopeful!

And no accidents either overnight, or destruction overnight/while at work until lunch. I'm thinking he might either get much better as the weeks progress or is saving up to slam me with shiba-induced anxiety. We'll see :)
  • edited November -1
    Oh wow! He is a very handsome boy. And I am sure he is very happy to have found a temporary home with you guys.

I am glad the introductions seem to be going well. Hopefully he will fit right in until a forever home can be found for him.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, Sooks is in love! That is so cute. He looks like a very happy boy. Hopefully I will get to meet him in September.
  • edited August 2009
    Oh I hear you about the intro of dog/foster & holding of breath (LOL)....

In any case from the video it looks like it will be fine with your creamy girl since they seemed to be pretty comfortable thus far. All indicators point to Jiro being a social dog . The only thing that may be annoying off leash that irritates some dogs is that intact males tend to be a "pesty pest" by being in everyone's business too much, particularly when your own are sp/neutered and may want some down time. Intact males don't always get the concept to keep their noses out of where is does not belong until they get "snarked" at.

Take it slowly with brief interactions and introduce him to one dog at a time like you are doing. It might be good to do some focus work with your own while you make side by side introductions on leash.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Great video! When she's up on the couch and he's below her they look like super awkward teenagers about to have their first kiss. Hahaha.
  • edited November -1
    They played!

• edited November -1
    That is so cool...So does this mean I might get to meet the bugger in WI, or does this mean you're not going now?
  • edited November -1
    In this clip, looks like Tsuki's getting a karmic serving of pwnage:P

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Oh my goodness, he is so adorable! :)
    Glad to see he is getting along so well with Tsuki! :D
  • edited November -1
    Wow he's like a whirling dervish. Did he finally calm down after a bit of play?
    So glad he is having fun and is adjusting so quickly.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I hope you guys can bring him in september. I'm very excited to meet him. He looks like he's having so much fun.
  • edited November -1
    Beth - Honestly... as an independent foster home (currently) everything is on us - food, shots, neuter, toys, equipment, promotion for adoption.. That plus three dogs who may or may not tolerate it in a Dodge Neon for 15+ hours just isn't going to work. I'm so, so sorry to not be able to go to WI, but I realized that would be a real possibility when I agreed to take this boy in.

He definitely is giving Tsuki a taste of her own medicine, but with more "oomph" if you know what I mean!

SnF - he hasn't calmed down at all yet! He's really jumpy and mouthy.. its hard for him to focus because there's just so much for him to do at that moment :) He's go go go. I'm hoping once he gets used to our schedule he'll get as 'even' as Tsuki and Kitsu.

Joe - we're hoping that we can do a total proper, safe intro between him and Kitsu so that they can ride in a car together for that trip.. and that his neuter is done and he's on the mend by then. So, hopefully we'll all be there!
    He's definitely enjoying life outside of the shelter.
  • edited November -1
    That's alright Jen, you'll just have to make it up to us some other time, jk

That sucks that all of it is on you, but the reward of finding him a forever home (and possibly a new shiba person to hang out with) must be worth ten times that amount. You are a great person, and if you lived closer to me, I'd give you a great hug as a 'thanks for being so great'.

Who knows, maybe on the way back from WI we can pitstop at your place if you want.
  • edited August 2009
    Ok if he is this bold and over the top this early in fostering you will most likely will have to nip it in the bud so to speak. Meaning take some "Ruff Love" stuff from Susan Garrett's book and apply it.

He will probably get more pushy as things unfold over the next several weeks, so anything you can do to have him take steps to self calm will help you out. Based on his play style and bombard tactics, I suspect that he may push it with your other male so be aware of that. Neutering of Jiro will help but he still may need to learn to calm since he goes fro 0 to 40 and seems to stay there (LOL). Just work it as you go along and be sure give your own dogs breaks from him. : )

Snf
  • edited November -1
    We tried to nonchalantly introduce the boys yesterday, and MY KITSU! is having none of it. They were on loose leash on a walk, I started with Jiro and Tsuki, and Kitsu behind w/ my husband. Then after a few blocks, I switched to both boys, they did fine until Jiro lifted his leg ON TSUKI - peeing on her, Kitsu growled at him and that was the end of that.

Then this morning, I crated Kitsune to let Jiro run a bit in the house (he's a good boy! no accidents!) and Kitsu growled and high pitch barked at him when he passed the crate. Not too sure on the total interpretation, only that this time I'm erring on the side of caution and taking it much, much slower. Perhaps they won't interact until after the neuter after all.
  • edited November -1
    What a naughty boy! Good thing he has you and your pack and will have you to help him sort it out right away. Hopefully Kitsu can remember how to share again :)
  • edited November -1
    From now on I'll be updating my blog on all things Jiro : shibainuspirit.blogspot.com

He and Kitsune played today! And he likes strangers, and has 3 different homes interested in him (maybe)
  • edited November -1
    Jiro is a beautiful shiba I hope you find a great home for him :)
  • edited November -1
    Hey Lindsay (or anyone else with fixed and intact dogs)
    Jiro and Kitsu played well today, but Jiro seemed really dedicated to sniffing/licking/investigating Kitsu's altered-ness :)
    Is that normal?

You can see it here:

• edited August 2009
    Yeah the gross behavior will occur more so with intact males. Usually you see unaltered do that to altered and I have see it among altered dogs too but much less often. Sometimes the intact dog will lick urine off the ground as well. The behavior usually stops once they know each other. Just be aware that a pissing contest often occurs around the house along with it. Get some belly bands if that starts to happen.

Who knows maybe Jiro is trying to figure out where the other team's boys went (LOL).

Snf
  • edited November -1
    that video is hysterical. Kitsu is just staring at him

Uhh buddy I'm trying to drink here!
  • edited November -1
    Jiro has a serious case of a one-track mind.. everything revolves around, well, you know. Until next week :)
  • edited November -1

He plays really nice with them after the "getting to know you" part and before the "so excited from play want to hump you" part..

He also HATES water.
  • edited November -1
    LOL Jen. He's adorable. I like the "having balls, will not think straight" part about him. But that's also one of the reasons why Yoshiki only wants female dogs.. although someone has yet to tell Luna that leg lifting and humping other dogs is a male doggy thing to do.