Jiro went home today.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    After jogging, chasing a tennis ball, and romping hard with the shibas - Jiro FINALLY sat still long enough for a good shot:

And for size comparison, here he is with 23lb Kitsune:
    From Jiro San
    I'm already in love with this dog... his potential family is going to have to really impress me. He's a wonderful dog!
  • edited November -1
    What a huddle....I wonder what they are conspiring to do?? (LOL).
    Oh I was gonna say once he is neutered don't expect sudden behavior changes for Jiro it may take a month or more for the hormones to work out of his system.

Sounds like he would make a great working companion in agility or rally if he is worked with further.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    He would be an excellent athlete for sure!
  • edited November -1
    I still get a kick out of those white eyebrows
  • edited November -1
    We decided to change Jiro's name to Jin. He responds to it much better, and its easier for me to remember (Tekken, anyone?)
  • edited November -1
    Once he gets his stuff taken off I wouldn't mind taking him either! He's so cute..but that licking Kitsune video scares me ;-) You might have a line of people who want to adopt him!
  • edited November -1
    We're first!
  • edited November -1
    oh and I remember Jin from tekken. I always wanted pants with cool flames on the leg.
  • edited November -1
    I love him, but Tosca says no roommates that can't feed her.
  • edited August 2009
    He also likes children - had one RUN up to him saying "doggie! doggie!" and he licked her hands and let her pet his neck. And has no fear of bicycles or skateboards, quite a few whizzed past him already. He just really, really doesn't like water (tried a calm spot on the river yesterday... nope!)

This morning our neighbors must have had a fight and the dogs were barking at 5am, so I woke up, let them out in the yard then let them all run free in the house. All 3 just chilled out on the living room floor, I even dozed off. Jin/Jiro (we can't decide) was so well behaved. He's calmed down A LOT already.

Honestly, I knew there were good shibas, and I knew there were good dog-dogs, but this guy is the missing link between them. He's fabulous.

I can't wait for you both to have Katsu and Shao New meet him in Sept. Perhaps you can consider fostering him to see how it will work out?

• edited November -1
    I know, you get first dibs Joe/Dawn :)
    Wonder if Spuds can convert him into loving water...
  • edited November -1
    I myself, am really dead set on fostering at this point. Dawn is a little worried if we can do it. We'll continue to talk it over and maybe Jin Jiro wil help convince her. I'm sure we'll be able to responsibly add another shiba to our family. I would like to see if the Brat will tolerate another dog in her kingdom. I think there's plenty of room on our couch for another dog though.

On a side note I'm turning into such a big wuss for animals since we got her. I wanna save the dolphins, save the whales, save the shibas, save the koalas I'm even getting soft on spiders.

Why not just have his name be Jin Jiro?
  • edited November -1
    is Jiro missing a front tooth?
  • edited November -1
    You guys are cracking me up with the name changes. Once the dog is adopted they will probably rename him "Buddy" so I would not get too attached (LOL).

Well there are certainly a number of orgs that could use volunteers to help save some animals. Of course Shiba rescue is one that could use more folks and you don't have to go far. However, there are other orgs where you can go maybe once a year etc for the Wild experience. Sea turtle conservation, marine mammal conservation etc. I am not sure where you live but look to your local public aquarium near you . For Example in Maryland National Aquarium in Baltimore has lots of options.

Here's an example for those willing to dedicate some time.
    http://www.uvolunteer.org/costa-rica/turtle-conservation-costa-rica.php

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Hey, How about Jirojin
  • edited November -1
    Yes, he is missing a front bottom tooth.

The husband keeps saying Jiro, which the dog perks his ears to and turns his head, but he sits when I say Jin, so there is that.

If Dawn needs any more information, just let me know. I'll be happy to tell you whatever I can, and guide you as foster parents (or foster-to-adopt?)
  • edited November -1
    Ha, I just watched the videos. He has a ton of energy! Ike likes to follow other (female) dogs around by the butt for awhile until he is convinced that they don't "want to marry" him. Kitsu is amazingly tolerant for such behavior. Once Jin is neutered, and he already sounds like an amazing boy, he should have lots more focus to put towards some canine sport (like Flyball, right Joe!)
  • edited August 2009
    So, if you've read the other thread, Kitsu's tolerance for Jiro's "attention" ran thin.

We've also went back to Jiro, its just what we end up saying even trying not to.

But Jiro bounced back, he took treats from me within 20 mins of the spat and was pretty clingy afterward. He's really affectionate, I believe he will be even more so after he's neutered and has less on his mind :)

He and Tsuki also cuddled this afternoon, slightly as its like 90 degrees today, but their paws were touching.

He's going to be neutered this Thursday. I'm a bit nervous for him, as he's fully grown and 2 years old and just now losing his gibbs. Do adults have any more chances of complication than pups after a neuter?

And if any Long Islander's are serious about trial fostering (foster-to-adopt) please let me know! I'm sure Kitsune will be most grateful.
    shibaslave@gmail.com
  • edited November -1
    Good luck Jiro!
  • edited November -1
    I know Tom's mom had gotten her standard poodle neutered at 2 yrs old, and I'm not sure if it was his age or the place she took him to, but his whole crotch turned purple and his sack had swelled to bigger than before the removal. The vet said that that was normal due to his age, but I think that they did a shoddy job and are making excuses.

Good luck Jiro, enjoy them while you have them
  • edited November -1
    Beth- Sounds like he slipped a knot and got a hematoma.

Occasionally when the nuts are really large and pendulous in older dogs (like hounds), they require a scrotumectomy for visual reasons, but I am not aware of other age related medical complications. Sometimes the older boys really, really miss em at first and spend a lot of time worrying the area especially if a lot of shaving was done and then they give themselves hotspots.

Good luck, Jiro! Smoke em while you got em (only if Kitsu says it's ok :)
  • edited November -1
    There haven't been too many problems with the fosters here that have been neutered. The older dogs sometimes take a little longer to recover and hormones to settle. Like Lindsay states they sometimes fuss over the area so a cone may be needed.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Jiro and Tsuki:

Its so funny, he's not nearly as interested in her the way he is about Kitsune.. though now we aren't letting them get close enough for issues to happen. We've learned a lot already in the week (only one week!) Jiro's been here, thats the learning curve and hidden blessing of fosters - we learn so much about dogs in general, about the fosters, and new things about our own dogs.
    Freezing up is a warning that Jiro isn't picking up from Kitsune. I suspect neutering and its after effect will help him concentrate more on the language given rather than his intentions. Does that make any sense - the freezing thing? It is at that point that we separate the boys now, when Kitsu freezes up.

Some spam from my cuddly wonderful Jiro boy... his new family is going to just love this guy to bits - I know I do.
    Responding to "Jiro"

Sleeping in the sun-spot

Peaceful shibas
    From Jiro San
  • edited November -1
    Inner dialogue in my head.

"General! The chew toy has been gutted. Mission accomplished! What shall we do with them now?"

"Hit the kill switch and deactivate them, we'll bring them back on-line when the humans least expect it."

"Yes, Sir...."

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    very cute pics....and funny inner dialogue.
  • edited November -1
    that last pic and inner dialogue is too cute :)
  • edited November -1
    :)

I also wanted to mention that he doesn't *seem* to be food reactive/guarding tendencies. We put the kibble down as he and Tsuki played, he ate a few and kept on playing. I fed them treats together yesterday (they both had to sit first) and no snarks. I gave them cheese together today, no snarks or anything. So far, with Tsuki, he's perfect.

I think he'd be a wonderful addition to a female-shiba home.
  • edited November -1
    I think he'd be a wonderful addition to a female-shiba home.

Hint Hint Joe/Dawn....
  • edited November -1
    From what you've shown us, he looks like a bundle of energy that's going to be a handful post-neuter. I hope he finds a good forever-home soon!

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    He's definitely energetic, but he's calming as the days go by and he gets used to our schedule. I think he's just loving the consistency of home life and attention - I think he hadn't had it and craves it.

He does know when to be calm, like to put a harness or collar on he has to be still and he's learning... when a child wants to greet him, he stands still and lets them... he's learning stay but has no attention span for it! He's getting there. Every dog is a handful in one way or another - Jiro has a ton of amazing qualities to balance it out.