Jiro went home today.

Comments

• edited November -1
    A good Shiba duo can't be topped, it's a fact.
  • edited November -1
    PEER PRESSURE!

• edited November -1
    ^that^ is just all kinds of awesome
  • edited November -1
    Wow, I forgot how much I love Michaelangelo....get a pizza...totally.
  • edited November -1
    Joe/Dawn - would it help if we made a thread describing the good and the bad of having two shibas?
  • edited November -1
    I think that would actually be a great idea. Not only for us, but for any one thinking about adding another dog, or getting two at the same time.

We're both on the same page at this point, which is good. (thanks for posting all the cute pics of him!) We're keeping an open mind and want to make the right descision. We both would love to add him to the family, but want to make sure we're not biting off more than we can chew. We'd want to do this for the right reasons and not as some impulse.

Do you feel that getting Kitsune only a few months after you had Tsuki affected your relationship with her. I don't know if it's because we've been busier than normal around here, or whether she's finally 100 percent comfortable at home. But Katsu has really turned into a snuggler and become more affecionate, for a shiba, with us. Part of me worries that bringing another dog into the picture would weaken our bond.

The other part worries about waiting too long. She's still a pup now and I think the longer we wait the more set in her ways she'd become, and eventually might not welcome another dog.

Does Tsuki seem happier and more complete since Kitsu's been around. I always used to think getting two dogs so the one won't be alone was kind of a silly reason, by itself, to add another pup. It is something that's weighing into our deciscion though. Katsu LOVES other dogs so much, I'm not sure if it's because we got her at 11 weeks and she got the three extra weeks with her sister, or if that's just her. When she's around other dogs she's more confident and open to new things.

I like that Jiro seems a little more high energy than her. Contrary to popular belief Katsu is actually a couch potato. I think their personalities would be a nice balance, and I'd hope his confidence would rub off on her. On the other hand he may be too much for her to handle on a daily basis.

Sorry for the long rant. It seems like for every plus we talk about, we find a minus and vice a versa. I just want to make sure you know we're serious about this, and not just stringing you guys along. Maybe when we finally meet him, we'll get that one plus or minus to tip the scales in a certain direction.
  • edited November -1
    We got Miso as an impulse pet store buy, it wasn’t the smartest thing to do on our part, I was living in a no dogs allowed apartment and Chris and I had just started our relationship, but when I saw his face I knew he was MINE! So I brought him home at 8 weeks old and found a new place to live a month later so he could have a small yard, etc. He was VERY happy growing up, loved walks, play time, was great in the house by himself, loved being the “only kid”. However, I have always owned dogs in pairs and found that a pair of dogs just worked better. When you find the right pair it really completes the circle. I want a million dogs, but Chris said only two so we started searching and found our Sake. At first I was really nervous that Miso would not welcome a puppy or any other dog into his house full time, he loved the attention we gave him and he knew he had us 100%. Sake came home and it was definitely an adjustment. Miso got more destructive and showed us that he wasn’t too keen on the idea of this 5lb pup taking over our world. After two weeks though you could really start to see the bond the two were creating. Miso wouldn’t leave Sake’s side and whenever we would take Sake to the vet, Miso would go in a panic. It got so bad that even if the appointment was just for one of them, we ended up taking both so they wouldn’t freak out.

Nowadays, Miso and Sake are bonded and they can’t be without each other. They keep each other company when we are not there, they play with each other, they eat together, sleep together and the LOVE to walk together. It really is amazing to see how close these two dogs have become. I enjoy every minute with the two of them and I don’t think I would get this much happiness from just one. Seeing how confident Sake is becoming because of her overconfident brother is AMAZING and I love that they teach each other every day. I think the relationship I have with the two of them is stronger than ever now and I am glad everyday for it!

Taking in a second dog is a HUGE decision and one that needs a lot of thought. After all its double the cost and requires more time. But when you find that dog, the one who chose to be a part of your life, well there really is nothing better. Remember the day you brought Katsu home?!?! Well imagine that feeling 100 times over because you just gave a dog a chance at a great life! And Katsu is so social that it will totally be a party for her to have another dog around.

Maybe Jiro is the one and maybe he isn’t, but I do think that two dogs work better than one in some situations and I think for you guys another dog in your household will just make your lives a thousand times more fun, I know it has in mine. And from what I hear from Jen, Jiro is an AMAZING dog with none of the “quirks” most rescue dogs have. I think a dog like that will make a great addition to a pack, especially since Katsu loves active Males.
  • edited November -1
    We'd want to do this for the right reasons and not as some impulse.
    >> awesome. seriously, sometimes people see the face or hear the sad story and do this on impulse. Its my pet peeve in rescue, and I work hard on my fosters' behalf to weed out the impulses and try to keep the potential adopters informed of the good AND bad AND unknowns that will and do come of adopting this dog. The goal is forever, for permanency - you guys are doing great with this decision. I'm glad you are on the same page! Thats a hurdle that many couples/families forget to conquer!

Do you feel that getting Kitsune only a few months after you had Tsuki affected your relationship with her. I don't know if it's because we've been busier than normal around here, or whether she's finally 100 percent comfortable at home. But Katsu has really turned into a snuggler and become more affecionate, for a shiba, with us. Part of me worries that bringing another dog into the picture would weaken our bond.
    >> I don't think it affected our relationship with Tsuki, no. I think it enhanced it. To be fair, I also don't remember what it was really like with just one dog, because Tsuki was never in that position. While she's independent, she (and most all normal dogs) are social creatures who need the different dynamics of social relationships in their lives. Tsuki was a crazy puppy, she wreaked havoc on nearly everything she got into, but she blossomed and matured into a stable, affectionate (on her terms) adult Shiba Inu that I adore inside and out. And I know she knows that. With the addition of Kitsune (and subsequent fosters) - She's never stopped greeting us with enthusiasm when we come home. She never stopped enjoying tearing the crap out of toys. She never stopped being 'minesy' with bones or her sleeping space.
    What did change was her reliance on other dogs, if that makes sense. Katsu is lucky that she has Shiba friends. Tsuki had a basset who did NOT play like her or with her as much as she wanted. He was major couch potato with ears she fiercely wanted to pierce. Her only real release was a friend's husky. Kitsune became her chew toy, on her spitz-type level. He's her go-to-guy for fun times, someone to groom and clean, someone to snuggle with in the winter. But still, she brings toys to us to play with her, she licks us clean at times, and she snuggles with me each and every night.

The other part worries about waiting too long. She's still a pup now and I think the longer we wait the more set in her ways she'd become, and eventually might not welcome another dog.
    >>This is a valid point, and I think many shibas in rescue suffered from this. Many did not live with other dogs in their life and are now in rescue trying to cope with that. I think dogs become really frustrated and lonely without human AND dog companionship. Adding a second dog to your home that really "gets" Katsu and cooperates with your lifestyle is a real blessing. She will benefit from this!

Does Tsuki seem happier and more complete since Kitsu's been around. I always used to think getting two dogs so the one won't be alone was kind of a silly reason, by itself, to add another pup. It is something that's weighing into our deciscion though. Katsu LOVES other dogs so much, I'm not sure if it's because we got her at 11 weeks and she got the three extra weeks with her sister, or if that's just her. When she's around other dogs she's more confident and open to new things.
    >> I think I inadvertently answered this above. You make another awesome point - many people get the second dog to give their first a 'buddy'. This is both bad and good, bad because if thats the only reason its going to be a hard pill to swallow when stressors appear; but good because it makes perfect sense that dogs being social would want that level of companionship with one of their own kind.
    Tsuki was always a social dog, she shared a cage with her litter mate for the full 3.5months she was at the mill. She was possessive of things though, as I think food wasn't a guarantee all the time. Since Katsu had a much more comfortable upbringing, raised with other dogs and her littermates, I believe she can benefit immensely from living with another dog. There WILL BE adjustments, she'll have to learn to share you and her space and her stuff - just like Tsuki did with Kitsune who wasn't as much a push over as the basset - but I don't think Tsuki would be able to function 100% without Kitsune. They are very much the definition of a PAIR... as I imagine Sake/Miso, Ryu/Roxy, Maui/Kaia, Beebe/Ike... when two dogs WORK, its a lifelong relationship they both benefit from. They BOND, a BONDED pair. I think many dog owners who do not want a true relationship with their dogs forfeit the one-on-one connections and hope their 2+ dogs do it for themselves. If you work with your two dogs, together and separately, as owner to dog and as a family unit, you will all have bonds that seal the deal - that complete you as a family.
    Regardless of fosters we bring in, we still maintain that family and reinforce it to our dogs as best we can figure they understand it.

I like that Jiro seems a little more high energy than her. Contrary to popular belief Katsu is actually a couch potato. I think their personalities would be a nice balance, and I'd hope his confidence would rub off on her. On the other hand he may be too much for her to handle on a daily basis.
    >> Maybe. He's definitely too much for Kitsune, but not as much for Tsuki (who this summer has been much more potato due to her allergy issues). He does calm down in spurts, as he gets really energetic in spurts. He barks when he's bored, but he's learning that if he brings a toy to us, thats a better solution than barking at the door. He will definitely need a walking routine DAILY to burn it, and extra curricular's on weekends if you want him to nap :)
    He does exude confidence though, he's very inquisitive and brave. And goofy. For a shiba.

Can't wait for you guys to meet him! I think Katsu will let you know whether or not she likes him :)
  • edited November -1
    Typing all of that, I came to the conclusion that I really can't remember what it was like before Kitsune. Perhaps thats the best answer I can give you..
  • edited November -1
    And one for today, with flash (see how red he is?!)
    From Jiro San
  • edited November -1
    He's really cute. :)

Joe and Dawn, don't worry about the long post, it shows you're taking this seriously.

Kristin, that's a GREAT post. Makes me think I definitely would love a pair--but not now.

After the last 24 hours of hell and guilt, I've decided I needed to focus more on Spuds and pay attention to her body language / actions. Matthew and I would love to foster to adopt, but for now Spuds is number one. Plus with Spuds and Jiro being energetic, I don't think our apt can handle it! I'll elaborate more when I get home to post my review of Capstar (think zoomies).

Sorry Jen, that's one off the list after right of first refusal. :/
  • edited August 2009
    I would like to add something to keep in mind when talking about multiple dogs which requires a little extra work etc. Having one dog bond to another helps in some ways but there are two sides to a coin. You don't want separation stress if you have to move about without the other animal(s) in your household, so I'd say reducing "bond" anxiety/separation anxiety is just as important as integrations. For example, animals too closely bonded can just plummet health wise if, God forbid, one outlives the other or they have to be split for whatever reason, say a moving situation or something as simple as deciding to go on the road for obedience etc and a circumstance develops that one has to stay home due to injury, health, or age.

Therefore keeping that in mind, working one without the other in training and continued individual integrations and socialization with other dogs outside of your immediate family unit should be ongoing even though one has more dogs. Getting caught blind sided can be detrimental if one gets too hooked on the cuteness factor of the inseparable bonds between two dogs.

Building a confident autonomy sometimes means, at times, one dog has to learn to wait without freaking out while you leave or train outside of each animals purview. If there are two people in a household splitting training away from the house can help, so can doggie day care where one goes one day and the other another.

The point being, be diligent about making plans for developing autonomous dogs when you decide to bring in one more.

Good luck in your decision. I find I like multiple dogs in my home. When animals do decide they like each other it seems to fall into place pretty well, of course with the right management so you aren't going batty, have some structure, and some quality time for yourselves. Look at the whole picture like you are doing. : )

Snf
  • edited November -1
    That was something Dawn was worried about too.
  • edited November -1
    Good point Patrice!

Although Miso and Sake are closely bonded we do separate them now for training exercises and vet visits. Also some nights we walk separately to make sure that Sake is learning she doesn't need her brother there 24/7.
  • edited August 2009
    I like what Patrice said about training.

Joe/Dawn, It was nice to have had 1 full year of solid training on my girl to get many of the issues ironed out before adding #2. However, from how you describe it, I don't think Katsu is anywhere near as knuckleheaded as my girl is (and Katsu seems to have really great temperments in her lines) so she may be much mature and able to accept cohabing with another Shiba at an earlier age. They can get pretty darn affectionate when they realize your time is divided, but that's why you need to find a good tolerant yin/yang match (opposite attraction thing) so they don't try to compete all the time like rivals.
  • edited August 2009
    I'm glad you have things in perspective, Irene! That is part of responsible dog ownership.

SnF - great point. I think having the two we sometimes take for granted their individual self, not their individuality, but we do work them separately in training now, since each has a different sense of prey drive. They go to the vet alone, sometimes car rides alone. If we visit family, we take one or the other. Its important to be a unit, but its important to also give them one-on-one time.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, this is all dependent on the Brat. In a way she gets to make the final choice I suppose.

As far as training goes. I wouldn't call her a knuckle head or even stubborn, even though we do play it up a bit. Her biggest issue is actually her confidence/fear level. It really is like night and day when she has other dogs around. Someone from our obedience class who has a Shiba as another dog, was floored when they saw the diffrence between scared at the petstore Katsu, and confident at the dog park Katsu. They couldn't believe it was the same dog.

I'm glad this whole thing is going on through the forum though, it's nice to know we can lean on some more experienced members for advice and hear everyone elses experiences in dealing with two pups at a time. I'm sure we'll come to the right deciscion eventually, whatever it may be.
  • edited November -1
    From Jiro San
  • edited November -1
    He's 28lbs of solid stud, officially per the vet.
    Clean bill of health, UTD on everything, and soon to be neutered. He's about ready :)
  • edited November -1
    haha... that's funny your vet said that, but I agree. He seems very studly from all your great pics.

Really, he seems like a catch! He's very handsome!

----
  • edited November -1
    Jiro reminds me so much of Mookie. The first picture you ever posted of him looks exactly like my guy but a little whiter around the muzzle. They are the same size too. Maybe this is why I think Jiro is super handsome! :P
  • edited November -1
    Solid stud lol :)
  • edited November -1
    Awww, Tsuki is gonna miss her new rough playmate when he finds his forever home....

He is a solid stud...soon to be ball-less stud.
  • edited November -1
    ball-less stud, lol.
  • edited November -1
    Stud will be de-studded this Thursday, I wanted a week between the rabies shot and the neuter, just in case.

His fecal test came back all clear. He's healthy, stable, affectionate, trainable, beautiful.... easiest foster ever! (and now I jinxed myself for sure..)
  • edited November -1
    can't wait to meet him!
  • edited November -1
    cuddles!

From Jiro San
    New Developments:
    -He doesn't mind walking in the rain, but is becoming an increasingly picky poop-spot-finder
    -He walked through a stream today, brief, but an improvement from SHIBASCREAMWATERISACID the other day...
    -He and Tsuki were playing, he got a bit carried away, she corrected him a few times, the last by biting him on the nose/neck and he accepted it. He took it, no arguments or issues!
    -I never EVER wake a sleeping dog.. my husband on the other hand >.<, however, Jiro is nice about it. Tsuki is not.
  • edited November -1
    I love his expression.

Now you say not gyro. But some people I know pronounce gyro like HEE ROE. So he's GEE ROE not JIE ROE right?
  • edited November -1
    We;ve been pronouncing it GEE-ROW :)

The vet tech called to give me the update on his fecal (neg) and said "Gyro", It made me LOL. And hungry.

He had eggs, cottage cheese and sardines for breakfast today - he loved it!
  • edited November -1
    Hey Jen--I might take Shao New off of her processed food when she's a year or so and go homemade/all natural. I'll speak to you about it at the meetup, as you're the foodie ;-) GEE-ROW is still so cute :)