Jiro went home today.

Comments

• edited November -1
    He's pretty beefy!
  • edited November -1
    Funny enough, the "proper" way to pronounce Gyro (as in the food) is actually YEE-ROE. I was very abruptly corrected when I pronounced it JIE-ROE once. lol
  • edited November -1
    I learned the right way to pronounce it from a cartoon.
  • edited November -1
    I knew how to pronounce it from Urajiro.
  • edited November -1
    Nice, I didn't even realize that from urajiro!

Jiro was the name our old neighbor wanted to give to our first male shiba foster, after adopting Kitsune. She pronounced it for me then, and I've kept the way she said it.

Jiro and Tsuki had some bones together this weekend on the living room floor. He lost interest faster than her, started to snoop out her bone, she growled and he backed off. He is going to be a great addition to a shiba household!

We also got new couches this weekend, and they didn't mess him up one bit (compared to Kitsune who was crying from the change!)
  • edited November -1
    I have to admit though, when I talk to Chris about him I say (HERO) because he won't remember it if I pronounce it correctly :P
  • edited November -1
    John sings "Jiro don't be a hero" all the freaking time... that song is like a virus
  • edited November -1
    How are he and Kitsu? Things can get sort of touchy fast, but do you think Kitsu will eventually adjust? It just seems like he and your girl are little best friends already. He will make an awesome guy for somebody if you are not keeping him for sure (I'm sort of jealous I don't live over there or else I would want to meet him).
  • edited November -1
    When is he scheduled for the big snip? Or did he have it done last Thursday?
  • edited November -1
    He had to get a 3yr rabies shot this past Thursday, he's schleduled for his neuter for this Thursday

He and Kitsu have small intervals to interact, but Kitsu has been on edge since he's been here, so they walk together on leash and thats about it. Jiro is great about all of it, just still really attentive to Kitsune, which K hates!

Jiro and Tsuki do so great together! I don't think we could keep him forever though, Kitsu would pack his bags!
  • edited November -1
    lol poor Kitsune.
  • edited August 2009
    Kitsune will survive. He's being an all around jerk lately, though.. but then again he usually does have hissy fits for a week or so after a new foster gets here (opposite is Tsuki who's instantly "PARTY! NEW DOG! YEEEEAH!")

Bone sharing:
    image/-6Ar93Rcoxm19lnfX1jW5g?feat=embedwebsite">imageFrom Jiro San

Jiro, letting us know that "life is good"

Tsuki telling Jiro to mind his P's & Q's while she's got the bully stick. He listens nicely.

• RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    LOVE the Tsuki growl! :)

Jiro looks like a great find Jen! I'm sure he'll find a new home in no time :)
  • edited November -1
    Aww! and LMAO of Tsuki's growl. Boy, she means business with that bully stick!
  • edited November -1
    Awww, Tsuki's growl is so funny!

Can't wait to meet Jiro, he seems like a happy guy!
  • edited November -1
    He is a happy guy! I can't wait for you to meet him too!

I'm really going to miss this guy...
  • edited November -1
    Awww, I love the videos and pictures!
  • edited November -1
    Jen, do you think he and Kitsune will get along better after he gets neutered?
  • edited August 2009
    Irene,

I think the problem is with Kitsune and not with Jiro, so its hard to say. I'm assuming NO, but I never give up hope that Kitsune will trust and relax eventually.

Actually, Jiro has totally changed my conception of the intact adult male dog. There is nothing broke about him, so I'm never going to call it "fixed" again (as in, he was fixed last week aka neuter). He's stable, he's friendly, he's sociable, he's trainable. He's a wonderful dog and I briefly considered that if we kept him, I'd probably keep him intact. Luckily my other male shiba reminded me that we cannot keep him and therefore he must be neutered because he is a rescue.
    For me to come to the "not broke" conclusion is huge.. all the incidences I've had with rescues and esp shelter dogs are with intact or newly neutered males. My scars are plenty and they are all from males with all their parts. Jiro just blew my mind and I'm so grateful for what he's taught me!
  • edited November -1
    I have a handout from my Seminar with Suzanne Clothier- in the back she lists some books and urges us all to "think outside the DogWise catalog." One book she recommends, not a dog-specific book, is "The Trouble With Testosterone" by Robert Sapolsky and I quote Suzanne here: "You really ought to understand testosterone before you run around recommending testicle removal as readily as many trainers seem to do despite appalling ignorance on what testosterone does/doesn't do." I haven't read the book, maybe I'll get to it someday- but I admire Suzanne above all other trainers and if she recommends information it must be worthwhile.

What I'll probably read before that one is Sapolsky's other book about the biology of stress ("brilliant exposition of stress, hormones, and what is really happening in fight/flight reactions and more." according to Suzanne) "Why Zebras Dont get Ulcers"- the really short answer is that they experience stress, they act in response and stress is either alleviated or they get eaten- so it never builds up the way it does in domestic society for people and some of our pets.
  • edited November -1
    Fascinating! I'm going to look up those books now!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for posting that video of Tsuki growling. It was funny and informative. It's cool to know that if the Brat were to growl at him it wouldn't turn into WW3
  • edited November -1
    Great recommendations on the books. Ummm, not sure I buy it in regard to the zebra. Will have to investigate that further in regard to context within the book and species. It is my understanding that impala and some herbivores actually pound out extra hormone in the flight process and for many after a heavy chase their muscles will actually freeze up and within 48 hrs many are dead, the may not get ulcers but they have renal failure. This is why when some animals are moved about at zoos it is done at night (temp aside) or with visual coverage or they are darted.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I have only skimmed a small section of "Zebras..." so I am sure there is much more to it for you to properly consider, esp where you know biology. I am not sure how literal the title is intended to be, either.

I can't get to the things I want to read fast enough, but someone here can benefit sooner!
  • edited November -1
    So after really considering it... we let Jiro and Kitsu have some play time tonight after their walk. They did good! (video uploading..)
    It was a short session, maybe two minutes until they started to run upstairs. I think we'll start increasing the increments slowly, especially after the neuter. I'm very interested to see what change, if any, is a result of the neuter with either boy.
  • edited November -1
    The video:

Jiro and Kitsu really remind me of watching boys in Junior high, all trying to find themselves and you got the one macho one that the insecure one attempts to knock around in order to establish himself, or impress the girl. If they didn't have such bone crushing teeth, I'd think they were pretty comical.
  • edited November -1
    That's awesome Jiro is with you and teaching you a first hand positive perspective about intact males. I LOVE my Ike for all that he is, and that includes being a whole dog, so they aren't aggressive assholes just because they are intact, that can all be bad rearing.

Wow, in that vid you can really see the difference in physique between your two boys!
  • edited November -1
    LOL, fighting over Tsuki! I love it!

It will be very interesting to see how they react to each other post speuter. They look like they would have SO much fun together.
  • edited November -1
    I walk the three of them in the AM, too.. just me with the three leashes. The boys are fine, in fact they do have pissing contests but its mild I think.
    Walking Jiro reminds me of my friend's lab puppy.. just big and 'oafy' and wanting to explore and/or pee on everything, compared to fancy Kitsune.
  • edited November -1
    How's the J man doing?