HONOLULU, HAWAII - Kiba the Kai is FOUND!

Comments

• Sorry to stir up bad memories. I was just curious as to whether or not Mochi was ever found :( I remember following that for a long time and sent word to all my relatives in FL to be on the lookout. One of them happened to live close by at the time she went missing.

I had no idea about the others though...that's horrible.
    I feel for you Brad, that's so hard. They're like your kids, I can't imagine losing even one :(
  • And Brad, please don't blame yourself....you and Jen have done all you could in these cases and they really could not have been foreseen.

And don't stop breeding Kai! You two have done so much for the breed, and we need more Kai, and we need more Yamabushi Kai, too! You and Jen have enriched so many lives in innumerable ways with the dogs you've produced!
  • Yes, don't blame yourself Brad! And definitley don't stop breeding Kai!!

I never should have brought it up...
  • We need more Tavi's and Akumas!
  • @brada1877 @creativejen I can't imagine how tough it must be to lose these dogs and never know we're they picked up and given a home or just lost in the woods or any other situation, but for those adult dogs you've rehomed, you've done us a great service. These dogs are amazing and I wouldn't give up Sachi for the world(as she lays down on my legs as I haven't gotten up yet). I was talking to @mdokic that when the time comes I'd look for getting another adult kai, male to give Sachi companionship.

For those that get your pups you've made so many people happy it would be hard not to see you guys with the Kai army and sending the pups out to be kai nation. But if it's become intolerable I would say it's very understandable.

I hope you all keep doing what you're doing. I can't imagine my life with out Sachi.
  • @brada1877 you guys have done incredible things for the breed. It's easy to get bummed out by all the unfortunate events that have happened in the past due to the Kai's flighty nature but it's going to take many generations to breed it out. From what I've heard, Ayu and her pups are on the sticky side but Ayu could have had flighty parents. She was a great step in the right direction though and has had some amazing pups. The generation of Kai that you guys have produced are a great range of temperaments to work with and I believe they are all around improved. Not only have you created all these great dogs but you and Jen have inspired many Kai owners to breed. We all want to help this amazing breed!
  • Thanks all. No worries about bringing it up @Dragonfly. I think it's important that people know the details of these situations so we can all help prevent it from happening.

About Kiba, when he was here I used to just let him out the front door to go potty. He'd do his business, say hi to the dogs who were out in the yard, then come back up on the deck. He was really dependable and didn't strike me a Kai who would run away.
  • With Jindos, I've kicked around the idea of territory anxiety. Not separation anxiety where it's linked to a person, but where it's linked to a location. They escape from their owner's new place to get back to their old place.
  • Thought there was good news with all these posts :(

Sorry to hear bout the other Kais.

Please don't be discourage @BradA1878 You are doing a great job with the Breed.
  • edited June 2014
    @BradA1878 this is just heartbreaking.

I just want to say that without you and Jen, I probably would have never gotten a Kai. After I got Mya, I was so curious about the other breeds that I started doing research. My research led me to the Kai, which led me to your site. I never thought I would actually have the privilege to own one of your pups. 2 years later, Shelby came into my life and I don't know how I ever lived without her.

I guess I said all that to say that even though there have been some tragic stories, there are still happy ones. Even if you guys never breed Kai again, just remember that you have done amazing things for this breed and helped at least one person not be so lonely.
  • I also have to say that without you, Brad + Jen, I probably would've never gotten a Kai. I had a long deep interest in Kai and felt uncomfortable with some breeders, but was inspired by the work and dedication you guys had for the Kai. Not to mention the community you built up so others could learn more about the breed. Many dog breed sites give the feel that Kai are aggressive or just not good dogs, but Tavi has swept many away with her social butterfly attitude and confidence. It surprises me too, because Tavs is from the same litter, and the thought of something like this scares me to death. I think though, if I rehomed Tavi or left her with someone she didn't know, she'd probably try to escape.
    She stayed with Lindsay for a day, so she had all of her dog friends and has known Lindsay since she was 9 weeks old, but was still pretty upset that I wasn't there.
  • Ayk states: With Jindos, I've kicked around the idea of territory anxiety. Not separation anxiety where it's linked to a person, but where it's linked to a location. They escape from their owner's new place to get back to their old place.

That’s a really good point! Maybe some Kai tend to “imprint on a territory” more than on people when moved about.

Thinking on this issue a bit, it would seem Kai know a “homing” area and bond to the norms of that place through their senses and social structure i.e. “clan”. Particularly in the later case, since Kai seem to pack relatively well together with other canines.

When placed out of a particular home zone without something strongly familiar to orient, I could see a dog having difficulty making assessments, hence panic setting in.

I know some dogs navigate back to home base or a relative home base such as a familiar car, landmark etc. (for instance our Kai knows our parked car from a distance.)

There are many species that have an innate “homing” characteristics and it’s hard wired. Box turtles, sea turtles, pigeons, orcas, even sheep to name a few. Often their social structure help build the knowledge, but the navigation and acclimation seem more neurally directed through vital senses. In dogs it also could be their senses become skewed with air flight.

According to last year’s National Geographic article, More research is being conducted on neural based orientation and navigation in canines. “At this point all reseachers really know is that dogs can sense magnetic fields. What they don’t know is what they might use their magnetic senses for” (Grubner, 2013).

Acoustic pollution, and unfamiliar sensory overload can certainly affect navigating in new areas for many animals.

I hope in time we will know more….

Maybe somewhere down the path they will show up. You never know....Keeping the faith they will.

Snf

• I like @lindsayt 's suggestion. I did a similar thing with my Shiba where I paid for the breeder to travel with my puppy and I met them together at the airport. It's just kinda smart because the breeders know their puppy well, traveled before, and it's less stressful on the dog (I think).
    You could always ask for people to pay for your ticket w/ pup. I did that. Made perfect sense to me.

Oh, and Brad, don't be harsh on yourself! It's hard to take, I think I would have a meltdown if it was my pup! I suppose trying to find a way to work around their flight instincts is the best thing to do...
  • It's so sad about the Kais who have bolted. I don't think it's anything with how they were raised/trained, just that instinct that can pop up. We can all do our best to prevent it from happening but those accidents can happen. We were super cautious with Akuma but his leash still got caught on vegetation and unclipped early on. He came right back and let me re-clip it though (thank God!) He transitioned perfectly. It was great of Lindsay to fly with him and make sure it worked with him! Aww still remember seeing him in the airport pick-up zone with her :) I'm guessing, he's solid enough he would have been fine even if she hadn't. He has never had a bolt/flight moment. I was pretty anxious after an earlier Kai experience. I bought the leashes that clipped into seat belts because I was afraid he could bolt from the car, I was afraid he'd bolt out the door, back out of his collar, ect... It was never an issue. That is what I think is so hard, you can't tell what Kai might go into a flight mode after being rehomed or which rehoming situations will bring this out. They can be super solid in their first home then have a freak out moment. I can't imagine the stress Brad & Jen go through with rehoming Kais!
  • It is nerve racking with and older pup, young adult. That seems to be when the flight risk is at its worst.
  • Totally thought he would have been found by now! I was under the impression that Hawaii is a rather "small" Island and it would be easier to find him then if he were on the mainland. =/

Gosh...really hope the little man turns up soon.

@BradA1878 - Please...do not be discouraged from breeding Kai Ken. It's unfortunate but these things do happen in life. It does need to be addressed and not taken lightly but at the same time...focus on the positives that you have done with your Kai breeding program which should out weight the negatives by a ton. =]
  • We received some pretty amazing news this morning - Kiba was captured in a trap by a resident in the next valley over from where his new home is. He was trapped by a trap that was set to catch what they thought was a mongoose who was killing their chickens - instead they found a "Kiba".

Kiba is at the humane society until his owner returns from California and can pick him up and take him home. The humane society says that Kiba is healthy and friendly.

Amazing news! :)
  • WOW! Excellent news!!
  • Oh, good! I kept hoping with an island like that someone would turn up with him. Leastways you know he's got some good hunting skills, having been out that long and fed himself healthy!
  • That's so awesome!!! Oh, please rename the title of this thread so people know he was found!
  • Amazing! I'm soooo happy to read news like this :).
  • Great unexpected news!
  • Wow, that's so great! Glad to hear Kiba is found, healthy and will be reunited with his owner soon.
  • Fantastic news!
  • That's pretty amazing, score one for kai survivability! LoL, I guess mongoose will be his new nickname ;)
  • Thanks for changing the title - you beat me to it. :)
  • That is great news!!!
  • So glad he was found! :)
  • That's awesome!
  • Wow that is amazing news! Made my day! Can't wait to hear more about him, and how he's doing, but in the meantime, just....Woohoo!!!!

(And yes indeed, his nickname should be mongoose!)