Therapy Dog Certification

Has anybody ever seen a shiba that has received the therapy dog certification? Jazz starts beginner obedience classes on June 5th, so that we can get her CGC and then from there I want to do the intermediate and advanced classes to get the therapy certification.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I'd love to Toby to get Therapy certification, but considering how hard the test would seem for a Shiba, its very unlikely he'd ever pass. The test seems to be more generalized for like slave dogs, like the mindless Retrievers, Collies, and other various dogs that will stick by your side and pretty much come to you 100% when you called.

I will try to get Toby his Canine Good Citizen, though.
  • edited November -1
    I know - that's why I wanted to see if anyone knew of a shiba that had passed. Jazz is unusually social around people and loves kids. She already does a partial stay (until I get out of sight) and will sit for a treat. She comes about 80-85% of the time. I think she'll do find on the CGC. She'll be the oldest in the class - she turns 5 in July, the next eldest dog in the training group of 8 is 15 months. I've been waiting for three months to get into the class. The trainer also evaluates dogs for therapy certification - which is why I've been waiting to take the class.
  • edited November -1
    I think I know one person who has a Shiba that is a therapy dog, so it can be done. Usually it is older Shibas that earn it, or do similiar things.
  • edited November -1
    Saphira's dad is Animal Assisted Activities (Therapy dog) Certified. Tracker has her CGC and I will one day get her certified with Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs to do Animal Assisted Activites. I am expecting Mashi and Saphira to get their CGC's at dog camp in a few weeks and then both will probably pass their Bright and Beautiful Tests no problem.
    Shibas are totally capable of getting certified for doing animal assisted activities (therapy dogs) and perhaps even animal assisted therapy (much harder certification, and different types of work). There are many nationally recognized organizations to choose from to test with. Some have easier tests then others, and each has its own dog/handler team requirements. I chose Bright and Beautiful because they allow you to be a member of other therapy organizations, so others don't.
    I hope to eventually get some of my dogs certified with Dogs in Service, a "real" Animal Assited Therapy, Animal Assisted Crisis Response, and Animal Assisted
    Educational Support organization. There are not many of these organizations around and their tests are MUCH harder then the other ones. This one also requires you be a member of a national organization.

Also just to clear up confusion, here is a website that defines of all the types of animal assistance activities:
    http://www.barkinghills.com/dis/pat/index.html
  • edited November -1
    I think The Jazz would be a great therapy dog. She's calm, cool and collected with a matter of fact personality. I feel certain she can do it.
  • edited May 2008
    Nikkoth - thanks for the info - I also like Bright and Beautiful Therapy program - we'll take it one day at a time on the training.

Scarlet - thanks! I think she can do it, too! I'll keep you guys posted.
  • edited November -1
    Nikkoth that is awesome that your dogs are so well trained. I currently have piglet in training to become a therapy dog. The main struggle I would see Moto (my shiba) having with the therapy testing is not being reactive to the canes and banging. The trial we do here tend to be tough for flinchyier dogs.
  • edited May 2008
    Snickers is a Canine Good Citizen and just recently became a registered Delta Society pet partner (therapy dog). He and I are visiting three classrooms once a week at a school for developmentally challenged children. They are working through the ASPCA's Humane Education curriculum. They start with "May I Pet Your Dog" and go from there.

Snick is 4 1/2. Training for his CGC and for the Delta evaluations has been a lifelong process. My experience is that with independent dogs like Shibas, success is more about the partnership between dog and handler than about blind obedience. Snick and I communicate well; we're partners and he enjoys the things we do together. I try to keep it fun for him also. I stay away from repetition. I reward him a lot. I stick with things I know he enjoys whenever I can. For example, I think we'll only do activities with children... Snick loves kids and is incredibly tolerant and patient with them, but not so much with adults.
This discussion has been closed.