Concrete hard on paws

edited May 2008 in General
I often let Sasha and Cobalt play in an unused fenced parking lot. there is grass along the edges, but most of their running is done on the concrete. I've noticed that their nails and pads are worn down by it. the nails I don't mind, since both of them (especially Sasha) have long, thick nails that are sensitive to cut and it seems less painful when they are just ground down by the concrete. but I'm not so sure about the pads- could this intense wearing down be bad for them?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I did a quick Google search and all the results stated that besides the chances of burning or freezing the paws, no big risks on wearing down the paw pads much. They did warn about working and racing dogs who constantly run on rough terrain but when it's just running around playing, I don't think you have much to worry about.
  • edited November -1
    You could buy some Musher's Secret to help protect their paws if you are worried.
  • edited November -1
    a majority of our off leash recreation is in a tennis court and our pup pads and nails have been kept in check from doing this. they rarely play over 2 hours at the courts 3 or 4 times a week and we don't have any negative feet affects. I would say unless they crack and bleed, its probably not all that bad.
  • edited November -1
    Black top (asphalt) is really hard on dogs in the hot weather.